Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

tracklaps.net - build thread.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
192 replies to this topic

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2015 Corvette Z51

HAI GAIS! 

I've been slowly working on a site called tracklaps.net 

I'm using this thread to document my slow ass progress and for me to ramble on about nothing in particular. 

sites like fastestlaps.com are terrible in execution imo so I wanted to make something a little more local focused at first I guess.  

Being curious about laptimes, I obviously wanted an easy way to compare times on tracks I've driven, to cars similar to mine. 

I also noticed, that race tires can easily make for a much faster lap and I wanted a way to differentiate that to compare apples to apples. 

The idea is to have a database driven site of laptimes from HPDE enthusiasts.  The laps submitted should be your own with video (currently just a link to youtube or whatever.  

One day I would like to be able to accept data.    First things first though. 

Instead of finding a thread on a forum and searching that thread for  a particular track and then a car.  

I'm debating how I want to handle the time submission, for obvious to me reasons I can't just leave a form open to everyone without some sort of system in place. 

I do plan on taking all the lap videos in the threads here on this forum and inputting them just for some foundational data for when I "launch" the site.   even though its up it just has no functionality and it's mostly broken. 

http://www.tracklaps.net

ideals welcome. 

Keeping in mind that I am not a web developer or designer and don't have a ton of free time.  

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

http://tracklaps.net/submit.php

Here is the (nonfunctional) submission page.   Is this all the data everyone would like to see? 

handsoffsam

handsoffsam

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationNashville
  • Track Vehicle:Bluth Stair Truck

http://tracklaps.net/submit.php

Here is the (nonfunctional) submission page.   Is this all the data everyone would like to see? 

Cool idea! Right off the bat:

-> Run group colors is not going to work, as the colors change / mean different things to different clubs, some don't even use colors. Let the time and setup data do the talking, don't worry about run groups. Maybe just Novice/Int/Adv?

-> I'd want more data on the tire (what TW etc. aka I want to know if they're on an NT01 or a BFG Rival if we're talking street tires). If race, what race compound (ex. differences between an RA1 and SM7).

-> Temperature, conditions - it matters!

-> Stock / or modifications done to the car (I/H/E, etc.). An S2000 with a J swap vs. an S2000 is going to be pretty big, but it's still an S2000..right? 

Our lap threads do a pretty good job of giving the basic information to frame the lap for, I'd suggest using that template on the submission? 

My two cents. Look forward to seeing it develop!

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
1994 #15 SM
1994 #40 SM
2008 S2000 CR

Max

Max

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationSherwood, Arkansas
  • Track Vehicle:'02 996

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

Cool idea! Right off the bat:

-> Run group colors is not going to work, as the colors change / mean different things to different clubs, some don't even use colors. Let the time and setup data do the talking, don't worry about run groups. Maybe just Novice/Int/Adv?

-> I'd want more data on the tire (what TW etc. aka I want to know if they're on an NT01 or a BFG Rival if we're talking street tires). If race, what race compound (ex. differences between an RA1 and SM7).

-> Temperature, conditions - it matters!

-> Stock / or modifications done to the car (I/H/E, etc.). An S2000 with a J swap vs. an S2000 is going to be pretty big, but it's still an S2000..right? 

Our lap threads do a pretty good job of giving the basic information to frame the lap for, I'd suggest using that template on the submission? 

My two cents. Look forward to seeing it develop!

good thinking, I forgot white is the high level on some groups, red is beginner is others.   

I probably should include something on modifications to the vehicle, tire brand and weather.   I'll add that.  

I'll have to mess around with the database schema  to accommodate these changes.  

For the sake of searching, I may just have "cold" "cool" "warm" "hot"  for outside temperature.

Also a "clear" or "wet" option as well. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

tossing around the idea of using something like stormpath or auth0 to secure the database submission part and just use social login so nobody would have to create any new login and I won't have to make my own authentication portal just for this. 

Are their any tracks other than the ones i have listed on tracklaps.net/tracks.php that anyone would like to see?  My initial focus is Texas tracks but once I have the schema down it won't be hard to add additional tracks. 

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2001 C5, 1999 SM

good thinking, I forgot white is the high level on some groups, red is beginner is others.   

I probably should include something on modifications to the vehicle, tire brand and weather.   I'll add that.  

I'll have to mess around with the database schema  to accommodate these changes.  

For the sake of searching, I may just have "cold" "cool" "warm" "hot"  for outside temperature.

Also a "clear" or "wet" option as well. 

Houston, TX cold or North Dakota cold?  I would avoid ambiguous terms, or if you use them, at least define them.

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

Houston, TX cold or North Dakota cold?  I would avoid ambiguous terms, or if you use them, at least define them.

good point.  I added some temperature ranges on the submission for... would you agree with them?  

tracklaps.net/submit.php

Temperature: North Dakota Cold below 30F cold 30 - 49 cool 50 - 74F warm 75 - 84F hot 85 - 100+ F

I hope to have some database functionality added in today while I have my lunch.  

JBJones

JBJones

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationDallas
  • Track Vehicle:FRS

Could you add the ability to post data? That would be the most interesting thing for me.

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

Could you add the ability to post data? That would be the most interesting thing for me.

do you mean like AIM data?    

If you can send me some example data? 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

lap submission is working.   (though I disabled it for the time being until I get my authentication in place) 

I need to parse the time into milliseconds and pass that as an integer to the database.  

I need to make fields "required" for the submission form and fix a bug in the "direction" checkbox. 

Then work on some output formatting.  Probably going to use some angularJS  for fun. 

www.tracklaps.net/msrh.php   gives you an example of raw database output. 

HDA

HDA

The Italian Guy

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationHouston, Italy
  • Track Vehicle:Dunno, let's talk about something else

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you. Rollover is when you wished there was a wall.

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

yep... i think I'm gonna use google+ login via stormpath w/angularJS  

I'll have to port my app but it'll be a lot easier to handle authentication. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

anyone not suck with photoshop? 

I need a favicon & a basic logo.  

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHouston

anyone not suck with photoshop? 

I need a favicon & a basic logo.  

I will need to be home to convert to .ico, but here is the .png

Attached Thumbnails

• favicon.png

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationHouston

includes 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 and 64x64

This was just a quick and dirty favicon.  I had a few other ideas including a stopwatch, cone, steering wheel or a wheel.  Its always challenging to come up with something for a 16x16 icon.  

Attached Files

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

That's great!  I really appreciate it!   

I turn into a backwoods yokel when it comes to graphics.   The closest I get to digital art is making memes with mspaint. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

I have the authentication system more or less in place.  

just need to configure some token passing. 

I'm not doing anything crazy with user accounts.   Basically if you have a gmail account you can post a lap.   I'll probably use captcha or something in front just to confirm its not a bot uploading trash into the database

Still need to work out cleaning up the output so it can be readable and sortable. 

lobster

lobster

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationHouston

google login is working, using session token for the submit page. (if you're not logged into the site it'll kick you back to the authentication page) 

clean up database code, not everything is being submitted correctly like track direction 

format query results into a table. 

add better error handling 

I have been meaning to ask... will you guys actually use this site once it's functional? 

jared

jared

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAustin,Tx
  • Track Vehicle:2005 Corvette Z51

This sounds pretty cool. Being able to input your laps manually is a nice thing. There is another site that requires you to upload CSV files but my track app won't export properly.