Sign in to follow this  
V6Donut

My V6 powered S2000 build thread: Yeah, it never stops.

Man it's crazy that you did all that in a day, and managed to actually get out on the track. Did you figure out what went on the old engine? Hopefully it was an isolated issue and not something they are known for!

Not yet, sending it to InlinePRO to do a simple rod piston setup and try to Rev it to 8k (1.2k rpms over stock)

Nice work getting it done and back on track.

You may need to look into baffling the pan or an accusump. Something tells me that engine wasn't designed to be mounted  longitudinal and subjected to lateral G

Nice work getting it done and back on track.

You may need to look into baffling the pan or an accusump. Something tells me that engine wasn't designed to be mounted longitudinal and subjected to lateral G

Yup and Yup. :-)

post-1170-15095692008997_thumb.jpg

Man it's crazy that you did all that in a day, and managed to actually get out on the track.  Did  you figure out what went on the old engine?  Hopefully it was an isolated issue and not something they are known for!

UPDATE OF OLD ENGINE: 

So, I shipped my engine to InlinePRO (obvious if you know me) they tore the engine down and found the thrust washer starting to fail. Everything is still salvageable which in my eyes is great to hear. I'm sure some here know that if you spin a thrust washer its going to completely trash the crank and block. 

PLANS OF REBUID: 

As I get more seat time I learn that gearing is one of the major factors here while tracking. Less shifting results in less time wasted. A Custom geared trans is way more than I'm looking to spend. So the goal here is to get her to Rev to 8k safely and reliably. 

Its going to be a stock piston from another engine bumping compression from 10.1 to 11.1, a heavy duty InlinePRO set of rods with upgraded valve train. Stock cam so I wont make any more peak power.  The bump in compression will be minuscule for the power up top so I'm not worried and will have plenty of room to stay TT4 legal. The stock cam I use makes power fall off at 6500 so I'm really not to worried at all. 

UPDATE OF OLD ENGINE: 

So, I shipped my engine to InlinePRO (obvious if you know me) they tore the engine down and found the thrust washer starting to fail. Everything is still salvageable which in my eyes is great to hear. I'm sure some here know that if you spin a thrust washer its going to completely trash the crank and block. 

PLANS OF REBUID: 

As I get more seat time I learn that gearing is one of the major factors here while tracking. Less shifting results in less time wasted. A Custom geared trans is way more than I'm looking to spend. So the goal here is to get her to Rev to 8k safely and reliably. 

Its going to be a stock piston from another engine bumping compression from 10.1 to 11.1, a heavy duty InlinePRO set of rods with upgraded valve train. Stock cam so I wont make any more peak power.  The bump in compression will be minuscule for the power up top so I'm not worried and will have plenty of room to stay TT4 legal. The stock cam I use makes power fall off at 6500 so I'm really not to worried at all. 

Glad to hear that you will be able to reuse the previous engine!  Are you planning on doing a Clutch Interlock bypass to avoid issues with the thrust washer in the future?  Is this a common failure in the J series engines?  I know its fairly well known/documented in the F20/F22.

Glad to hear that you will be able to reuse the previous engine!  Are you planning on doing a Clutch Interlock bypass to avoid issues with the thrust washer in the future?  Is this a common failure in the J series engines?  I know its fairly well known/documented in the F20/F22.

I actually bypassed the clutch switch a few years ago. I think its just not meant to be used as a performance engine? I want to find out what the actual pressure in LBS is on factory J series pressure plate. If I could figure this out and match to an S2000 one I think the life would be extended. 

On my old J32 I had 1.5 track seasons and about 35k miles total 

I hear all the cool guys drive Honda Fits... :biggrin:

Haha! Looking for something stupid cheap.

My wife has a fit [emoji12]

Haha! Looking for something stupid cheap.

My wife has a fit [emoji12]

Wish this was 6 months from now. In may, I'll be looking to unload my beat up LS intergra daily for cheap. Probably like 2k. 

Wish this was 6 months from now. In may, I'll be looking to unload my beat up LS intergra daily for cheap. Probably like 2k.

Being a Honda guy myself that would be great. I owned a couple integra’s for while. My last Integra I owned for 7 or 8 years.

But my focus is 1988-2000 4door 5spd.

Cheap and comfy.

post-1170-1510674075723_thumb.jpg

Being a Honda guy myself that would be great. I owned a couple integra’s for while. My last Integra I owned for 7 or 8 years.

Cheap and comfy.

attachicon.gifIMG_8238.JPG

Budget?

Cheap and comfy.

attachicon.gifIMG_8238.JPG

Mine is a 96 2 door 5 speed. It won't be for sale until may though. 

Try and find a 4 door EF. They are SICKKKKKK. 

Mine is a 96 2 door 5 speed. It won't be for sale until may though. 

Try and find a 4 door EF. They are SICKKKKKK. 

Yes sir! I love them! Its really hard to find an unmolested one though. 

Went to NASA Texas Cresson event and was awesome as always. I was awarded the Directors Award for 2017 and I was blown away. Very Thankful to Will and the NASA Texas Family. 

5ac4ccd304a1b_IMG_2180.jpg

So right after MSR-Cresson with NASA 

I wanted to get ready for the new motor install. Doing so there was a few things id feel more comfortable with. Like relocation of the ABS unit pulling it further away from the exhaust manifold. 

Sure, I never had any life threating issues with it. But the comfort of knowing its not 2mm away would make me feel better. I use Castrol SRF and flush it each event. Now i will flush every couple events. 

5ac4cd4d327a7_IMG_2200.jpg

5ac4cd7c922c6_IMG_2203.jpg5ac4cd8752acf_IMG_2204.jpg

and boom, out she was. 

So i can tell that I'm not the best photographer....... 

Since i forgot to add in the Post above, on the way home from Cresson we My buddy Jake and I stopped by TWS and cracked open a cold one with TWS. TWS is where it all started for both of us together. 

5ac4ce383a961_IMG_2101.jpg

New Twin disc for new motor. Reason for twin disc you ask? I get to have less clamping force with more holding torque. Therfore extending the life of my thrustwashers. The minivan thrustwashers are tiny compared to standard F series. 5ac4cdef71124_IMG_2107.jpg

Assembling the accessories  on the new motor. Also added a couple extra sensors.  Fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature

New motor internally consist of 3.5 crankshaft, InlinePRO connecting rods, factory pistons. Supertech Valvetrain, and InlinePRO spec camshafts. Should be a lot of fun compared to the factory 3.2 junk yard motors. 

5ac4cf09124ae_IMG_2363.jpg

5ac4cf170227f_IMG_2364.jpg