Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My V6 powered S2000 build thread: Yeah, it never stops.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX
  • Track Vehicle:2003 S2000

Hello Fellow TJ's
A few days ago, M Factory/YCW Suspension/SWIFT springs announced in the Racing/Competition section on S2ki that there would be an opportunity for the S2000 community to test out on track/autoX and give feedback about their upcoming set of mid-level coilovers. I sent in my app and here I am, this being said I will be starting my build thread in TJ's!

​I'm sharing here because they are also doing testing on Miata's : https://forum.miata....ad.php?t=632972

As some of you know, I am a J32a2 V6 powered S2000 that tracks and I’m still a “street car” That being said I will be able to share my honest opinion about the coilovers in all three worlds of the S2000.

M Factory/YCW Suspension/SWIFT springs let me know that the coils will be ready for test fitting in a couple weeks. If you have any questions please let me know and I’ll be happy answer the best I can.

You can also check out the link for more information: http://www.ycwsuspension.com/why
In coming pictures!
I'm excited to finally have a build thread on here, it may sound silly but this is the best community I'm apart of.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5755.JPG
  • IMG_5585.JPG

cabowabo

cabowabo

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • LocationATX
  • Track Vehicle:97 Miata

Very nice, interested to hear how they stack up. I saw the miata.net thread and shot them a message, but looks like they already found some folks.

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX

Very nice, interested to hear how they stack up. I saw the miata.net thread and shot them a message, but looks like they already found some folks.

I'm curious as well and to be honest quite excited.
I won't make Cresson sadly due to a wedding but hopefully they are in before TWS.

MFMike

MFMike

Track Denial

• Junkies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Dimas, CA
  • Track Vehicle:Ferrari F12

Welcome to the team :)

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX, 1999 SC400

I've wondered if I could really tell the difference between good and better coilovers. I am guessing maybe, but probably not.

robert

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

MFMike

MFMike

Track Denial

• Junkies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Dimas, CA
  • Track Vehicle:Ferrari F12

I've wondered if I could really tell the difference between good and better coilovers. I am guessing maybe, but probably not.

robert

What are you currently running on?

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

What are you currently running on?

My S2K has Fortune Auto 510s on it. My NSX has Buddy Club Racing Specs. I've run on Tein Flex (on the S2K and the Miata) and Xidas (on the Miata), as well.

robert

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

handsoffsam

handsoffsam

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • LocationNashville
  • Track Vehicle:Bluth Stair Truck

Let's get busy man, update this thread!

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
#15 SM 94'

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX

Let's get busy man, update this thread!

I know! Trying! Got some cool stuff to show

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX
So, since my first track day my instructors have told me to get safety gear, and being honest I kinda was like okay yeah will do.

At TWS with NASA late last year there was two major accidents and I immediately said to my self I will be ordering roll bar and harnesses asap.

Here's RockStar garages new Single diagonal roll bar with X brace.

IMG_5973.JPG

It's a bolt in rollbar that I will also have welded in.

Here's a picture during the install process.

IMG_5614.JPG

handsoffsam

handsoffsam

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • LocationNashville

Excellent call man. I didn't know Sparco made booster seats?

#15 SM 94'

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX

Excellent call man. I didn't know Sparco made booster seats?

They don't :tongue: they make baby seats though, heres a little information for you.

My driver seat is a Sparco Rev, its the smallest seat  they make in terms of width for the waist. Its also paired with 1st generation Recaro SPG sliding double manual locking seat rails.

The crappy part is my waist is now flawless, being the huge guy with big manly broad shoulders I am. The seat shoulder width is to small, If I could cut the EVO and the Rev both in half. (Rev bottom, EVO top) I believe I would have the perfect seat. This brings me to the Mugen S1 seat. It has a tiny waist (28) and decent shoulder line, to me its the perfect seat.

The crappy part is that is discontinued and purchasing a used one brings the MADD JDM tax as the same cost as it was new. $1200 range. I just cant get myself to spend $1200 on a used 15+ year old seat.

I found a used one once for $400 and on my way to purchase I was beat by a person by 30mins. 2hr drive and a bit sad I moved from the Sparco Sprint to the Rev.

handsoffsam

handsoffsam

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts
  • LocationNashville

Great feedback. I'm a 28" waist as well, shit is hard to come by without going custom... I know the Rev and Circuit Pro II can get nice and tight - I might snag it from you if you decide on something else..

#15 SM 94'

Dave

Dave

Ugh. This is what is heard when I post.

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • LocationDFW

Great feedback. I'm a 28" waist as well, shit is hard to come by without going custom... I know the Rev and Circuit Pro II can get nice and tight - I might snag it from you if you decide on something else..

Try the Cobra SUZUKA PRO. I'm about a 28 or less. Super snug.

http://www.cobraseat.../suzuka-pro.asp

Arro

Arro

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • LocationLeague City
  • Track Vehicle:2004 S2000 (Yellow)

I believe Racetech seats get pretty narrow but are a little on the pricey side. @Thundermoose has one he'll probably let you sit in at the next event.

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX

My next seat i buy is going to be flawless, unless i come across an S1. haha!

I would love to try out all different types of seats. Same with everyone can sit in mine.

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX
Alright! So this should be quite the debate as most say it's dumb to do with out a thermostat.

With my Frankenstein of a car I'm adding an oil cooler.
Space limited and not wanting relocate the oil filter.

I told my buddy Coffey, (from Norwood Auto Italia in Dallas) a friend of mine what I wanted and asked if it was possible.
Long story short. He made it possible.
I'm quite excited also.

Placement of the oil cooler is going to be behind the radiator and I'll be monitoring the temps.

•Custom oil filter/vtec solenoid
•Setrab 19row oil cooler

IMG_6062.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Blown motor in five.... four.... three....

Just kidding. Interesting. Hopefully the weld work is good. I do think a thermostat would be smart. It's really in the engine's best interest for oil to get hot fast. But I'm guessing you don't plan to keep this engine for 100s of thousands of miles, so...

I'm curious what oil temps you run driving around town with this setup.

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)

#57 - 1992 NSX (red)

#?? - 1999 SC400 (red)

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX

Blown motor in five.... four.... three....

Just kidding. Interesting. Hopefully the weld work is good. I do think a thermostat would be smart. It's really in the engine's best interest for oil to get hot fast. But I'm guessing you don't plan to keep this engine for 100s of thousands of miles, so...

I'm curious what oil temps you run driving around town with this setup.

HAHA!

Honestly this engine has lasted longer than I expected it would. haha! I originally picked it up from the salvage yard 1 year ago. I ran a Carfax on the VIN and said it was salvaged in 2009 and sold to the yard.  So a 2003 Acura TL-S engine that sat in a yard and had 90k miles.

Ill be logging everything and moving back to a 5-20 AMSOil dominator (currently 10-30)

V6Donut

V6Donut

V6 S2000

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationCypress TX

Also, most add the oil cooler in front of the radiator so it has the first hit of fresh air. Ill have mine behind the radiator and since I have a fancy shroud. I will start with a small hole in the shroud and move larger and possibly a full hole for the 19 row if data sees fit.  

I understand, too cool of a temp is bad and also to hot.