Boostedtaco

H2R Repaving!

Any member willing to let me be their guest once the repave is done? Would like to track my E36 once before I sell it.

I can help depending on the date, just let me know ahead of time and keep in mind that normally takes 3-4 days for the water to stop running across the track after a heavy down pour.

Would like to come out and play for a day too if someone can have me as a guest.

I don’t know if I can sponsor more than 1 guest at a time but I’ll ask. Worst case we setup another day for you.

Any updates on the track after a year?  I'm getting into the HDPE events and was interested in visiting this track but my suspension is so stiff these bumps would kill me.

There are still undulations from the substrate which creates a bumpy ride. There is an eminent domain issue that has recently heated up again after being on pause for a couple of years. The upper part of the track will have to be relocated and when that happens, I would expect more work to be done then.

Keeping in mind the problems with the substrate cannot be solved reasonalbly so things can never be too smooth for too long. Even COTA has issues and they dug down 14-16 feet IIRC and replaced with layers to help stabilize the substrate. Too bad neither built west of the Balcones fault where things tend to be more stable.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:37 PM, Talley said:

Any updates on the track after a year?  I'm getting into the HDPE events and was interested in visiting this track but my suspension is so stiff these bumps would kill me.

I was just out there last month and the back straight between 3-4 is pretty rough and so is the turn in before 6. They've repaved sections around there a few times in the last few years, but the problems persist.

It's still a very fun layout though it's just pretty rough on cars.

On 7/2/2019 at 9:56 AM, HopGarage said:

I was just out there last month and the back straight between 3-4 is pretty rough and so is the turn in before 6. They've repaved sections around there a few times in the last few years, but the problems persist.

It's still a very fun layout though it's just pretty rough on cars.

I'm on MM3 coilovers w/ the stiffest springs available.  I didn't set the car up my uncle did.  It's a dedicated track car.  I'll have to stay away from that track for now.

3 hours ago, Talley said:

I'm on MM3 coilovers w/ the stiffest springs available.  I didn't set the car up my uncle did.  It's a dedicated track car.  I'll have to stay away from that track for now.

It's bumpy, sure but it's not going to kill a track setup street car in a few laps. 

Porsche cup cars, Viper ACR etc have run there setting crazy good record lap times without issues.

I have an NC Miata with 525f and 375r shocks and the car comes off the ground going uphill several times, causing the revs to shoot up as it looses traction (you could almost say that it’s skipping up the hill), but I still pay my dues every month in hopes that one day it will improve as it’s the closest track to my house and the staff is great.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:51 PM, KevinDB said:

It's bumpy, sure but it's not going to kill a track setup street car in a few laps. 

Porsche cup cars, Viper ACR etc have run there setting crazy good record lap times without issues.

^ This.  Also, if your setup doesn't handle the bumps, then it's a setup issue.  Plenty of actual race cars run at H2R without any problems. Yes the bumps will "accelerate" wear, but so does tracking your car.  I worked for LRA and their supercars have done countless laps out there without issue. 

I'd argue the only bumps at H2R that impact your driving are the side straight, coming into T4, and then T6.  The rest of the track isn't bad.   Plenty of Miatas on 800lb or greater springs doing just fine. 

Of course I'm excited for the day it gets repaved, but I'll continue to enjoy it until then

I catch air sideways coming out of the carousel at COTA with throttle down....wheeeeee!....just saying....bumps are part of it....go run Sebring sometime LOL!!

59 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

I catch air sideways coming out of T20 at COTA with throttle down....wheeeeee!....just saying....bumps are part of it....go run Sebring sometime LOL!!

FTFY.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:00 AM, tyhackman15 said:

^ This.  Also, if your setup doesn't handle the bumps, then it's a setup issue.  Plenty of actual race cars run at H2R without any problems. Yes the bumps will "accelerate" wear, but so does tracking your car.  I worked for LRA and their supercars have done countless laps out there without issue. 

I'd argue the only bumps at H2R that impact your driving are the side straight, coming into T4, and then T6.  The rest of the track isn't bad.   Plenty of Miatas on 800lb or greater springs doing just fine. 

Of course I'm excited for the day it gets repaved, but I'll continue to enjoy it until then

3800lb w/ driver cobra with race coilovers means more pronounced wear.  I need to lighten this beast

1 hour ago, Talley said:

3800lb w/ driver cobra with race coilovers means more pronounced wear.  I need to lighten this beast

I'm with you there.  My Camaro with driver is over 4000.  Ridiculous that cars these days can be so fast yet weigh as much as a truck did a few generations back.  I would like to be in the 3800lb range 😄

It is true if really trying to setup on a per track basis, you'd change spring rates and valving as appropriate.  But that level of effort is at the pointy end of competitive racing.  For track day fun, just find a setup that works everywhere, well enough.  H2R is on the bumpier end of that setup spectrum.  For me it's just adjusting rebound/compression to keep the tire on pavement as much as possible and go play.

Ya thats my problem.  I'm none adjustable.  Maximum Motorsports MM3 custom valving with 500f/700r lb rates with hypercoil 8" long springs.  I'm not sure how that compress to a regular spring/strut setup but on the coil overs it's stiff as shit.  I literally can sit on the fender and it doesn't move.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:36 PM, Talley said:

That doesn't really change anything.  You'll be fine, honestly.  Plenty of factory and modded camaros, mustangs, etc run out there daily.  If you go softer you may run into more issues as hammering on your bump stops is arguably harder on the car.  Not trying to make you do anything, just saying don't worry too much about the car.   Plenty of 7-800lb springs on miatas out there doing just fine.  Including my car.  My .02.