Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Open Track Day Saturday March 4, 2017

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

LevicaS

LevicaS

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hey everyone. We are having an open track day March 4. We need around 25 cars to register (and pay) online for the event to make. 

Have 15 already, so just a few more. Walk ups are welcome. You can run all day 8am-5pm, or half day (morning and afternoon options available). 

Hope to have great weather and lots of cars! Spread the word. 

Direct link: https://clubregistra....cfm/event/8086

As a side note: The OTD is only open to solo qualified drivers.

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX

This is super tempting! It's been forever since I've done an OTD.

robert

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#XX - 1992 NSX (red)

Brentster

Brentster

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx (Galleria)
  • Track Vehicle:2009 M3 Coupe

Signed up.  $200 for probably 10 sessions is a no brainer

N546RV

N546RV

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:335i

This is super tempting! It's been forever since I've done an OTD.

robert

It's been literally forever since I've done an OTD. :p

This is tempting for sure...but while I do technically meet the "solo qualified" requirement, I'm not sure I'm ready (or, for that matter, if it's wise) to turn myself loose like this. 

speedracer

speedracer

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationHouston
I have registered and look forward to the event.

Rev

Rev

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCollege Station
  • Track Vehicle:'01 Miata and '05 330i

Very fun OTD this morning, even with the rain! Well done to Levica and crew. Thanks for being willing to brave the rain for us.

We had a great first two hours. Track was never too crowded and I had fun playing with other Miatas. Lap times were much improved with new RE71r's. Then the rain started in earnest. This was the first time I stayed on track in rain, and it was a great learning experience! I made the mistake of trying to keep up with a Spec Miata that was well driven and set up... and flew off the track at full tilt on T5. It felt like I had no grip at all - the nose wouldn't turn in. I was able to get the car straight for a safe exit and then learned that the topography drops substantially off T5! I made it almost all the way to a gravel access rode. It took a while to stop and ripped off my cheap eBay lip and claimed a fender liner. But after a brief stop in the garage to check everything out, I was back out. Love driving a Miata! Looks like I have a lot more wet-weather learning to do. TWS is fascinating in the rain b/c it's not smooth or flat like COTA. Different undulations and patches cause the water to build up and puddle in random spots throughout the track, which made finding grip an adventure. T3,T4,T10,T13-15 were great, fun places to practice oversteer correction. T6 was glassy. T7 was terrifying. 

Dave

Dave

Recovering Track Junkie

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationDFW

Very fun OTD this morning, even with the rain! Well done to Levica and crew. Thanks for being willing to brave the rain for us.

We had a great first two hours. Track was never too crowded and I had fun playing with other Miatas. Lap times were much improved with new RE71r's. Then the rain started in earnest. This was the first time I stayed on track in rain, and it was a great learning experience! I made the mistake of trying to keep up with a Spec Miata that was well driven and set up... and flew off the track at full tilt on T5. It felt like I had no grip at all - the nose wouldn't turn in. I was able to get the car straight for a safe exit and then learned that the topography drops substantially off T5! I made it almost all the way to a gravel access rode. It took a while to stop and ripped off my cheap eBay lip and claimed a fender liner. But after a brief stop in the garage to check everything out, I was back out. Love driving a Miata! Looks like I have a lot more wet-weather learning to do. TWS is fascinating in the rain b/c it's not smooth or flat like COTA. Different undulations and patches cause the water to build up and puddle in random spots throughout the track, which made finding grip an adventure. T3,T4,T10,T13-15 were great, fun places to practice oversteer correction. T6 was glassy. T7 was terrifying. 

Sounds like fun. You want the ultimate wet track driving? Go to Cresson.  :cool:

2008 - Nissan 350Z        - Build Thread

1966 - Datsun Roadster - Build Thread

YouTube Channel

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX

Sounds like fun. You want the ultimate wet track driving? Go to Cresson.  :cool:

Sample of Cresson in the wet:

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#XX - 1992 NSX (red)

Rev

Rev

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCollege Station
  • Track Vehicle:'01 Miata and '05 330i

Sounds like fun. You want the ultimate wet track driving? Go to Cresson. :cool:

Not sure I need MORE wet craziness after sacrificing my splitter to a wet T5 today :-)

Hopefully one day I'll be a wet-weather Stig. I've heard it said that wet-weather skill and confidence can set a driver apart and win a lot of races. I'd love a chance to prove that proverb.

Dave

Dave

Recovering Track Junkie

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationDFW

Not sure I need MORE wet craziness after sacrificing my splitter to a wet T5 today :-)

Hopefully one day I'll be a wet-weather Stig. I've heard it said that wet-weather skill and confidence can set a driver apart and win a lot of races. I'd love a chance to prove that proverb.

I don't know nothin about racing, but a wet cresson event will teach you more car control in one weekend than a years worth of dry events. 

2008 - Nissan 350Z        - Build Thread

1966 - Datsun Roadster - Build Thread

YouTube Channel

Brentster

Brentster

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Yesterday was a blast!!!!!!  I was doing the full 50 minutes sessions towards the end.  Went off at 4 twice but who doesn't.    

I love the open track format.

Shuka

Shuka

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:K24 swap Miata

Ya'll know the wet line through 4 right?

Don't apex. Drive around the far outside of the turn. Lots of grip and less off-road adventuring. Same thing works entering 5.

Brentster

Brentster

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Ya'll know the wet line through 4 right?

Don't apex. Drive around the far outside of the turn. Lots of grip and less off-road adventuring. Same thing works entering 5.

Yeah.  But that's no fun.     :cool: