Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Painting a roll Cage

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

z28pwr

z28pwr

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationSAT
  • Track Vehicle:2007 NC Miata
I bought a car that has a not so well primered roll Cage that is showing some petina in certain areas. What is the quickest way to paint the roll cage and what type of paint should I use?

Thanks

Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers!

blk96gt

blk96gt

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • LocationKingwood, Tx
  • Track Vehicle:CMC 96 Mustang GT

I just finished repainting my cage and used Rustoleum Stop Rust Silver Metallic spray cans.  I would have used the brush on Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy if I had gone with white.

shuko

shuko

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:K24 swap Miata

Another vote for Rustoleum. Added benefit if you get a color that comes in rattle cans AND brush-on can. That way you can do the big work with rattle can and touch up with a brush later as needed.

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish
  • Track Vehicle:The slow kind

if there's "patina" on the cage already, you really need to sand/strip it down to bare metal and treat it with Ospho or something to stop the rust.   The cage in my car was a touch brown when I painted it.  I scuffed it with a scotch pad and used Rustoleum "Rusty metal primer" on it.  I then sprayed the entire interior with Rustoleum oil base paint.  A few years later, the cage has some "patina" coming through on it as well.   I'm betting that had I done a better job on prepping the metal and removing surface rust that I would not have the patina that's on it now...

As for what paint to use, I've seen the hammered finish silver Rustoleum done and it looks really good.   can be painted or sprayed on, and touch-ups blend easily.  it also hides surface irregularities and fisheyes and such because of hammered finish..

And just because I'm a shitty driver doesn't make a miata any less slow.

justpete

justpete

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGarland, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2011 BMW e90 328i

Corroseal does a great job of converting rust to ferric oxide and priming the surface.  Works really well as long as the loose rust is removed and enough Corroseal is applied to fully convert the iron oxide left.

z28pwr

z28pwr

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationSAT
  • Track Vehicle:2007 NC Miata

Thanks for the info, I'm going to start taking everything out and masking the car this weekend. If anybody lives in San Antonio and wants to help I've got a 24 pack with their name on it ;-)

Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers!

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish

one more trick for masking..   aluminum foil works GREAT around stuff you don't need to move during painting.  stuff like the steering column and pedals can be easily and simply wrapped in alu foil, and it comes off easy when you're done painting.

DSCN0149.jpg

ht_geordie

ht_geordie

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:95 Integra

It may be a bit basic of a suggestion, but cover the outside of the car with dust sheets too....

ht_geordie

ht_geordie

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:95 Integra

one more trick for masking..   aluminum foil works GREAT around stuff you don't need to move during painting.  stuff like the steering column and pedals can be easily and simply wrapped in alu foil, and it comes off easy when you're done painting.

Wished I'd known the alu foil trick when I painted my cage!!!

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX

+1 to Matt today for that tip. :)

robert

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#XX - 1992 NSX (red)

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish

Wished I'd known the alu foil trick when I painted my cage!!!

I think I learned that from a Grassroots Motorsports article about 10 years ago.

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2001 C5, 1999 SM

Dang you all. . . . making me want to paint my cage.  The one thing I can keep looking decent on this SM.  ;)

Fast2.0L

Fast2.0L

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Track Vehicle:2002 Miata
I love Eastwood epoxy chassis black. Super durable.

TTWKyle

TTWKyle

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFort Worth
  • Track Vehicle:E36 M3

Aluminum foil! Brilliant!!!

Kong Sheng Han

Kong Sheng Han

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationKaty
  • Track Vehicle:E46 M3

Is it better to paint or powder coat (4-pt bolt-in roll bar in my case)? Rustoleum semi-gloss black was used on it, and it was recommended that I have it powder coated prior to install. 

I'm a lost soul.

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish

I would not recommend powder coat.  I've had problems with tube steel structures moving slightly as the heat applied during the powder curing process tends to stress-relieve the tubing and will cause dimensional change.  I used to build chassis braces that would fit perfectly on my fab jigs after welding.  I'd send them out for powdercoating, and they would be 1/4" off when I got them back!

Also many places will remove any old painted finish by burning them clean with a huge torch or putting them in a really hot oven and burning and old paint or oil off them.  some will sandblast at your request, but most will not go through the effort to hand-sand and solvent-clean something that size due to the time and chemicals involved.  it's WAY less time consuming to blast it with fire or sand.

That said, Rustoleum's Hammered Finish stuff works great.. it's easy to apply with brush or roller (or spray if it's out of the car)  and can be touched up easily if you ding it up.