Guest lobster

lobster car or how to choose seats?

Guest lobster

Is something like this http://www.tpsmotorsports.com/corvette-c7-14/chassis-1/rpm-rollbars-c7-stingray-z51-z06-corvette-coupe-roll-bar.html safe? 

I emailed the manufacturer and they say it attaches to solid mounting points unlike the other BS bolt on bars for the sole purpose of passing a drag strip tech.  which they probably all say that but quite a few of them only both directly to the floor and would go right through the floor in the event of a rollover, kind of defeating the purpose of a roll bar imo.  (lots of questionable after market things for the Corvette) 

I hear you, at this point I'm looking at putting a full cage in the car or roll bar, but there appears to be a  bunch of bullshit roll bars solely for the point of passing tech at the drag strip. 

From what I've been reading and could be wrong, seats w/good harness and mounts and the driver is wearing helmet+ head/neck restraint is typically safer than the DOT 3 point system in the event of an incident, it's just that rollovers are more risky with a harness/seat as the seats don't collapse.    Is this correct or no? 

Have a real race shop build a weld-in roll bar or cage into the car, do it right and don't go halfway or it won't be safe on or off the track.  Spend the money on quality floor adapters, side mounts, harness, etc., again don't go halfway.  Yeah, it's pricey but you'll only have to do it once although it isn't reversible.  Once you're properly strapped in with a six point in a race shell you won't be able to do much more than move your head a little bit so your visibility will be severely compromised so get a Wink five panel if you can but their windshield mounts don't work fer shit, best if you have a cage and mount it to the front hoop.  BTW, street car seats are _not_ designed to collapse, lawsuit city if they do.

After additional contemplation I have a suggestion you may want to consider. In order to fit into my s2000 and get lower in the car I went to a local car upholstery shop and asked for a custom solution. They rebuilt the leather cushions to meet my needs for the track and the street. This may be the best solution until you get the race car.

Guest lobster

After additional contemplation I have a suggestion you may want to consider. In order to fit into my s2000 and get lower in the car I went to a local car upholstery shop and asked for a custom solution. They rebuilt the leather cushions to meet my needs for the track and the street. This may be the best solution until you get the race car.

I went head first and got everything sorted.  I ended up getting some sparco sprints, I sat in some and liked them well enough for track day duty and did some research into the mounting of everything, I can swap seats in/out of the car on both sides in under 30 minutes.    

I really don't think ill be leaving them in if I plan on driving the car anywhere other than the track.  (which I think after I get my race car the corvettes just gonna end up being a street car anyway) 

Yep, I saw those after I got my seats, had I saw them sooner I probably would of got them.

Can you return the Sprints? I have the Oreca seat on driver side, and it fits me great. I'm just as tall as you but a bit fatter with 32" waist. With lumbar support attachment, it's pretty comfortable. You can sit in mine if you want; I'm sure you'd like it.

I'm just as tall as you but a bit fatter with 32" waist.

HAHAHAH!  "Fatter".   I haven't worn a 32" since my freshman year of college...

Guest lobster

Can you return the Sprints? I have the Oreca seat on driver side, and it fits me great. I'm just as tall as you but a bit fatter with 32" waist. With lumbar support attachment, it's pretty comfortable. You can sit in mine if you want; I'm sure you'd like it.

Maybe, I'm gonna look into that, regardless, are you in north houston or downtown ever by chance?  Would like to check out that seat.  

HAHAHAH!  "Fatter".   I haven't worn a 32" since my freshman year of college...

lol you should probably work out more.  

lol you should probably work out more.  

My workout schedule needs to fit somewhere between "chasing a 2 yr old" and "commuting 2.5hrs/day to and from work."  I used to work from home 3 days a week and used the time saved in traffic to exercise in the mornings before I started work. I lost 30lbs in a few months (got down to a 36". woohoo!).  since then I got a new boss and he requires us to come to the office 5 days a week (so I can sit at a computer and send emails to people 10 ft away), I no longer have available time and gained all of that back.  leave the house at 6am, get home at 5:30pm.  eat dinner, wrangle the kids, and do house chores till 9pm or so. by that point, I'm not in the mood to do anything but relax.

Guest lobster

My workout schedule needs to fit somewhere between "chasing a 2 yr old" and "commuting 2.5hrs/day to and from work."  I used to work from home 3 days a week and used the time saved in traffic to exercise in the mornings before I started work. I lost 30lbs in a few months (got down to a 36". woohoo!).  since then I got a new boss and he requires us to come to the office 5 days a week (so I can sit at a computer and send emails to people 10 ft away), I no longer have available time and gained all of that back.  leave the house at 6am, get home at 5:30pm.  eat dinner, wrangle the kids, and do house chores till 9pm or so. by that point, I'm not in the mood to do anything but relax.

Man I hear you, I can't imagine what its like with kids, my days are strained as it is with just a cat.  

I had an injury Jan 2016 (plus laziness) causing me to not be able to exercise until Sept. Lost 25 lbs in that timeframe, mainly muscle. Have been lifting since Sept and have gained back 10 lbs. Hope to be back at 170 soon.

Maybe, I'm gonna look into that, regardless, are you in north houston or downtown ever by chance? Would like to check out that seat.

I'm in Katy, and my car rarely leaves the garage lol. I might do an SCCA autocross event at Houston Police Academy on Jan. 8. You could stop by there, if I end up going.

I had an injury Jan 2016 (plus laziness) causing me to not be able to exercise until Sept. Lost 25 lbs in that timeframe, mainly muscle. Have been lifting since Sept and have gained back 10 lbs. Hope to be back at 170 soon.

I'm in Katy, and my car rarely leaves the garage lol. I might do an SCCA autocross event at Houston Police Academy on Jan. 8. You could stop by there, if I end up going.

Change of plans. Not doing autocross this weekend.

Guest lobster

Change of plans. Not doing autocross this weekend.

lol was going to post that my front brake pads aren't here yet so wouldnt be going either.     

The next one shoot me a PM, it's no fun going alone. 

lol was going to post that my front brake pads aren't here yet so wouldnt be going either.

The next one shoot me a PM, it's no fun going alone.

Alone is definitely no fun. I'll let you know. I go to UT, so I'm usually in Austin though.

Guest lobster

Well a few months later & I'm picking my car up tomorrow. 

58f53c33a689c_imagejpeg_03.jpg

Guest lobster

The next step is wheels, suspension, a mild tune and exhaust work, gutting the thing and finishing out the bar into a cage once I have my trailer. 

Then I figure because I'm an idiot I'll keep putting money into it & It'll just become a full blown racecar.   

Guest lobster

Where do you guys go to get a car weighed and dyno'd in Houston

I think I need to get a baseline before I start tinkering with removing weight.   I don't want to get ahead of myself and end up in TT1 or ST1  (which ultimately it doesn't matter too much, I just want to have fun not to win the ashtray every time)