Guest lobster

lobster car or how to choose seats?

I am in Cypress and have Sparco Sprint and Sparco Rev you can sit in. 

What size waist are you?

@@HDA has some nice leather Pole Postions for sale.

Just a thought, but the Sparco Evo is probably going to be your fan favorite in terms of cost and comfort.  I street my car and sitting in Houston traffic in the Sprint sucked.  The Rev is amazing, I am also a smaller frame person though.

Guest lobster

I am in Cypress and have Sparco Sprint and Sparco Rev you can sit in. 

What size waist are you?

@@HDA has some nice leather Pole Postions for sale.

Just a thought, but the Sparco Evo is probably going to be your fan favorite in terms of cost and comfort.  I street my car and sitting in Houston traffic in the Sprint sucked.  The Rev is amazing, I am also a smaller frame person though.

I have a 29" waist & I'm 5' 7"   so pretty small of a human.   

I don't really drive my car other than to, at & from the track so I'm not really using that has a deciding factor.  I do plan on taking the seats out and putting them in whatever car I get next as a dedicated track/race car but that's just a thought at this point.  

After going through and finding costs of the mounting, harness bar, lapbelt bar/sub bar stuff cost is definitely a factor.  So the Sprint's seem to fit the bill perfectly for that and upgrading the seat itself later to one of the higher end fiberglass shelled sparco seats.   

I don't want to skimp on the harness or anything else so the only place I can realistically save is when it comes to comfort.   I would rather be slightly uncomfortable on the way to the track than to have a harness fail or something when I need it. 

Lobs - for your race car - get a full containment racing seat, don't half-a$$ it, very few folks will use a seat like that for a street/track car. It's not really safe/practical for street driving. Once you sit in a full containment seat you'll see what I mean. Imagine driving on the street with these seats - they are no-compromise racing seats though, i.e. - full safety....

post-988-0-28534400-1481745498_thumb.jpg

post-988-0-63450400-1481745506_thumb.jpg

I have a 29" waist & I'm 5' 7"   so pretty small of a human.   

I don't really drive my car other than to, at & from the track so I'm not really using that has a deciding factor.  I do plan on taking the seats out and putting them in whatever car I get next as a dedicated track/race car but that's just a thought at this point.  

After going through and finding costs of the mounting, harness bar, lapbelt bar/sub bar stuff cost is definitely a factor.  So the Sprint's seem to fit the bill perfectly for that and upgrading the seat itself later to one of the higher end fiberglass shelled sparco seats.   

I don't want to skimp on the harness or anything else so the only place I can realistically save is when it comes to comfort.   I would rather be slightly uncomfortable on the way to the track than to have a harness fail or something when I need it. 

For your size the only seat that comes to mind is the Recaro SPG, choosing a seat is difficult. I was in the same boat as you just wanting a seat so it would hold me in better. So I went with a pair of Sparco Sprints.  After using the seat for a year I decided it was better fit to choose a seat that better fit "me" I am short and skinny 5'5 150 with 29" waist, where you sound tall and skinny.

The Sparco Sprint is more for a waist of 32-33 and the Rev I have is for a short person with a 29-30 waist.

I did some extensive research searching for a seat to suit me the best without breaking the bank. i waited till they were on sale and grabbed mine.

As far as a passenger seat the Sprint will get the job done. :biggrin:

Guest lobster

Never been called tall before.  So that's awesome.   

I think at this point, with the cost of all the crap I need to get just to get the harnesses installed I;m just gonna get the sprints and use those for a little while and then upgrade the seats individually (driver side first) 

My only thing I have to figure out, is how to suppress the stupid airbag light when I remove the factory seats in my car.   :/ 

Leave your seats stock and go buy a race car. I think there is a nice 240 sx for sale that is nice and safe I am sure the vette is fun on the track but I think a full cage and race seat is the safe option

Guest lobster

Leave your seats stock and go buy a race car. I think there is a nice 240 sx for sale that is nice and safe I am sure the vette is fun on the track but I think a full cage and race seat is the safe option

I will be getting a race car,   

I also want race seats in my track day bro car. 

all you guys are really pushing that 240.  :D 

You should come see the 240.  I'll even let you sit in it and try my big-boy seat out.  You will need to bring a phonebook and a few pillows if you want to see over the dash and stay in the seat. ;)

Guest lobster

You should come see the 240.  I'll even let you sit in it and try my big-boy seat out.  You will need to bring a phonebook and a few pillows if you want to see over the dash and stay in the seat. ;)

where is it?  I guess it couldn't hurt to look.    

Also, I'm tall, iridedumped said so, I don't need to phone book. 

I must be REALLY tall at 5-9 then!  ;)

Car is in Rosharon, about 10 minutes northeast of MSR Houston.  Give me some notice and I can probably get permission from the track to meet you there and let you make a few laps in it.  I don't currently have any tires worth putting on the track tho.  you can at least drive it around the neighborhood (benefit of living in the sticks!)

I have an s2000 daily driver track car. I kept adding modifications to find the balance between track and street. I gave up and added A miata to my fleet that is track only. I have tried to add a track seat to street cars and it did not work out for me because it's not really safe for the track and it's not really comfortable for the street

Guest lobster

I have an s2000 daily driver track car. I kept adding modifications to find the balance between track and street. I gave up and added A miata to my fleet that is track only. I have tried to add a track seat to street cars and it did not work out for me because it's not really safe for the track and it's not really comfortable for the street

I'm pretty sure all yall have gone through what I'm currently going through.   

How are race seats/harness not safe for the track though?   with helmet & head/neck restraint?  with the exception of a rollover.  

Honestly I was more concerned with stability because I hate my stock seats (forgot to order the competition seats with better side bolstering) 

I really don't drive the Corvette anywhere other than: to/at/from  the track. so comfort isn't that big of a an issue. 

If I keep going at the rate im going, i'll end up with a full cage in the corvette and no carpet before long.    Just last night I was looking at the LT1 crate motors with the crate motor wiring harness, but I have a tendency to get carried away in my hobbies,  once im full on racing I can get carried away with that instead of track day stuff.   Either in the Corvette or an entirely different car. 

Guest lobster

Car is in Rosharon, about 10 minutes northeast of MSR Houston.  Give me some notice and I can probably get permission from the track to meet you there and let you make a few laps in it.  I don't currently have any tires worth putting on the track tho.  you can at least drive it around the neighborhood (benefit of living in the sticks!)

Groovy, this month is stupid for me but I could definitely come take a look next month!   

Yep.  A harness bar and harness in a street car isn't the best idea for safety.  Harness bars are weak and tend to collapse in the center during a frontal impact, giving you basically nothing to hold you back, then they stab you in the back when you bounce off the steering wheel.

a race seat will help regarding install and positioning of the belts for a harness, but I would still recommend against a harness bar in a street car.  proper seat and harness, sure--  use one designed to attach to the factory mounting points, possibly even one of the Sparco ones that snap in so you can remove them when you're not at the track.  (back in my ricer days I used some 5pt harnesses in my street car and it was a royal PITA to latch yourself in and adjust the straps every single time you got in or out of the car..

I'm pretty sure all yall have gone through what I'm currently going through.   

How are race seats/harness not safe for the track though?   with helmet & head/neck restraint?  with the exception of a rollover.  

Honestly I was more concerned with stability because I hate my stock seats (forgot to order the competition seats with better side bolstering) 

I really don't drive the Corvette anywhere other than: to/at/from  the track. so comfort isn't that big of a an issue. 

If I keep going at the rate im going, i'll end up with a full cage in the corvette and no carpet before long.    Just last night I was looking at the LT1 crate motors with the crate motor wiring harness, but I have a tendency to get carried away in my hobbies,  once im full on racing I can get carried away with that instead of track day stuff.   Either in the Corvette or an entirely different car.

Maybe buy a set of lightly-used competition seats from someone else and install them in your car?  It's a C7- they can't be in too bad of shape this early!

Trust me, comfort IS an issue in the car.  If you don't like the seats on the street, you really won't like them at the track.  That leads to distracted driving since you're thinking about that thing punching you in the kidney instead of where you should be braking or turning.    proper race seats are extremely comfy, IMO.  (I have fallen asleep in mine many nights in the garage when I just stopped for a break and dozed off!!)

The biggest pain of any of it on a street car is hassling with the harness.  that and 99% of the 'harness bars' I've seen out there are a good way to kill yourself in a wreck.  see my post above.

If you want a race car, do yourself a favor and buy a race car.  Keep the street car for the street.  to be blunt, if you can afford to track a C7, you can afford a cheap track car. ;)

Groovy, this month is stupid for me but I could definitely come take a look next month!

Come on down! I'll be out of town around Christmas, but should be around most of January. don't have any plans other than to recover from last season/prep for next season..

Jokes on me being short then.....

Guest lobster

Omg. I am going to get a race car. Just give me some time to figure crap out!

I am putting race seats and harness/harness bar in my car mainly so I can feel better planted while driving.

After spending some money on parts needed for that without considering safety meh, seems age enough I'll love with it until I get a race car.

I'll probably return it to stock once I get the damn race car. :-p

So, even with my eventual plans on getting a race car I still want to keep taking the corvette to the track.   

I'm thinking of installing a harness bar & race seats.   The harness bar is easy enough but the seats.  omfg billions of options and pricing ranging from cheap as hell to wtf 

How do you get the right seat?  

on a different note,  I did finally weigh my car with me in it and a full tank of gas, 3420lbs  

I just bought seats yesterday. I am driving a 996.

I got the Sparco 2000 Pro II.

I was looking at seats with Halos but decided against it as I still street the car and I think it will be more attractive for resale.

As for how they mount, I bought a mounting plate made specifically for the car for the passenger side.

For the driver side I got a slider so I can adjust it.

All of this should be in in a couple of weeks.

I am thinking I might try to install it myself.

I might just take it to Soul Speed and let them install it.

I still need to get harnesses.

I will update the thread when I get it installed.

Guest lobster

Thanks for keeping an open mind. I hope to see you at the track soon.

lol, It's tough with you lot.    

when I came on this board I had all these plans, the class I was gong to start racing in and all sorts of goals.  Since then everything has changed because all of you have already went through the crap I'm going through. 

The problem begins when I get impatient and dive head first into this stuff, instead of researching the safety aspect, I get some feedback and run out and order seats.   

In retrospect I would reconsider, but since my wallet is faster than my brain sometimes, they're coming & I'm gonna use them and like with anything on the track it's a calculated risk. 

The problem begins when I get impatient and dive head first into this stuff

That's like...the best part?

when I came on this board I had all these plans, the class I was gong to start racing in and all sorts of goals.  Since then everything has changed because all of you have already went through the crap I'm going through. 

The problem begins when I get impatient and dive head first into this stuff, instead of researching the safety aspect, I get some feedback and run out and order seats.   

In retrospect I would reconsider, but since my wallet is faster than my brain sometimes, they're coming & I'm gonna use them and like with anything on the track it's a calculated risk. 

Nah..... daily driven racecar is more fun.

Thanks for keeping an open mind. I hope to see you at the track soon.

I hope to see you there John!

when I came on this board I had all these plans, the class I was gong to start racing in and all sorts of goals. Since then everything has changed because all of you have already went through the crap I'm going through.

I have taken a ride in a vette at the track and it is addictive so I understand that you want to further enhance the experience. You hit the nail on the head when you said it's a risk. So if you drive a car to your personal limits every time out then you may eventually have an incident. So if that happens I would rather see you walk away because you were strapped into a car with a cage and a seat designed for safety .

Guest lobster

I have taken a ride in a vette at the track and it is addictive so I understand that you want to further enhance the experience. You hit the nail on the head when you said it's a risk. So if you drive a car to your personal limits every time out then you may eventually have an incident. So if that happens I would rather see you walk away because you were strapped into a car with a cage and a seat designed for safety .

I hear you, at this point I'm looking at putting a full cage in the car or roll bar, but there appears to be a  bunch of bullshit roll bars solely for the point of passing tech at the drag strip. 

From what I've been reading and could be wrong, seats w/good harness and mounts and the driver is wearing helmet+ head/neck restraint is typically safer than the DOT 3 point system in the event of an incident, it's just that rollovers are more risky with a harness/seat as the seats don't collapse.    Is this correct or no?