Guest lobster

lobster car or how to choose seats?

Guest lobster

So, even with my eventual plans on getting a race car I still want to keep taking the corvette to the track.   

I'm thinking of installing a harness bar & race seats.   The harness bar is easy enough but the seats.  omfg billions of options and pricing ranging from cheap as hell to wtf 

How do you get the right seat?  

on a different note,  I did finally weigh my car with me in it and a full tank of gas, 3420lbs  

So, even with my eventual plans on getting a race car I still want to keep taking the corvette to the track.   

I'm thinking of installing a harness bar & race seats.   The harness bar is easy enough but the seats.  omfg billions of options and pricing ranging from cheap as hell to wtf 

How do you get the right seat?  

on a different note,  I did finally weigh my car with me in it and a full tank of gas, 3420lbs  

How tall are you? My friend is about 6'3" and had to pull the bottom cushion from his Cobra seats to fit without his helmet touching the roof of his C6. 

Guest lobster

How tall are you? My friend is about 6'3" and had to pull the bottom cushion from his Cobra seats to fit without his helmet touching the roof of his C6. 

I'm 5' 7", i'm pretty short.     

Can anyone explain how they mount?  can they be adjusted as in forward/back?  

Pros/cons of 5 point vs 6 point harness etc? 

What part of Houston are you in? Seeing the seat stuff in person is a lot easier than explaining over the internet.

And I know of a nice pair of barely used Recaros for sale at a friend's shop.

Guest lobster

What part of Houston are you in? Seeing the seat stuff in person is a lot easier than explaining over the internet.

And I know of a nice pair of barely used Recaros for sale at a friend's shop

I'm up in The Woodlands though I work downtown. yah would love to see some stuff first hand.  

I'm 5' 7", i'm pretty short.     

Can anyone explain how they mount?  can they be adjusted as in forward/back?  

Pros/cons of 5 point vs 6 point harness etc? 

You need to get your bass up here next Tuesday! LOL!!

5 vs 6 - simple question/answer: do you like having your nuts crunched? If yes, get 5....if not, get 6.  :tongue:

Guest lobster

You need to get your bass up here next Tuesday! LOL!!

5 vs 6 - simple question/answer: do you like having your nuts crunched? If yes, get 5....if not, get 6.  :tongue:

lol, well if this project falls through I'll find a reason to get up there eventually, if anything to hopefully convince you to let me drive your car.  

You might check out Marad. http://www.arizenracingsports.com/products.asp?cat=10

He makes a Miata seat that I used. 

He makes Corvette seats and hardware too.

I've stumbled there before but it doesn't seem like he does anything for the C7's.  

The racetrack is the best "showroom" for what you're asking. All different shapes and sizes of people in several dozen cars on any given weekend. Most people are very friendly (as you probably know) and will let you try out their seat(s).

Guest lobster

It never really occurred to me to go around asking to sit in peoples cars.    The only time I do is when I do instructor ride alongs and I don't really think about the seats to much. 

Guest lobster

another question, 

how can a seat not be "HANS compatible"  

I'm looking at the Sparco Sprint specifically on this.   

another question, 

They're unrelated, and that's b.s. Can confirm, Hans fits/works just like a Hans should in a Sparco Sprint.

Can you link us to whatever you're looking at? It doesn't make much sense for a seat that is compatible with harnesses to not be compatible with a head-and-neck device, but maybe there's something I am missing.

robert

Guest lobster

Can you link us to whatever you're looking at? It doesn't make much sense for a seat that is compatible with harnesses to not be compatible with a head-and-neck device, but maybe there's something I am missing.

robert

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/sprint

if you click on the seat dimensions chart you will see a column labeled HANS 

I've seen mention of hans compatibility for other seats as well.   that actually says 'hans compatible'  

http://www.sparcousa.com/product/sprint

if you click on the seat dimensions chart you will see a column labeled HANS 

I've seen mention of hans compatibility for other seats as well.   that actually says 'hans compatible'  

Okay, that's what I figured was going to be the answer. The seat has to support proper routing of the harness for it to work with a HANS device (and at all, really). I'm sure HANS has a spec for that and they're saying the seat meets it.

robert

Guest lobster

Okay, that's what I figured was going to be the answer. The seat has to support proper routing of the harness for it to work with a HANS device (and at all, really). I'm sure HANS has a spec for that and they're saying the seat meets it.

robert

so I wouldnt be able to use HANS with the Sprint??? 

Ignore me, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd contact Sprint and ask them.

robert

Was the Sparco Sprint cloth/foam over a tube frame, where their other seats are fiberglass shell construction?

That maybe why they don't recommend it for use with a HANS.

I did some more reading, and I actually think it has to do with the slope and shape of the back of the seat. A "HANS compatible" seat is cut in a way that the device has room back there. Which makes it worth remembering that HANS is a brand and there are other head-and-neck devices.

robert

Guest lobster

The sprint is steel frame and the others are fiberglass shell yah.

Guest lobster

I did some more reading, and I actually think it has to do with the slope and shape of the back of the seat. A "HANS compatible" seat is cut in a way that the device has room back there. Which makes it worth remembering that HANS is a brand and there are other head-and-neck devices.

robert

That makes a lot of sense too.

robert

Check out the NecksGen REV2Lite - it was just introduced last week at PRI, a buddy of mine bought one there. I've got the original NecksGen REV. Excellent mobility/comfort. You don't have this big bulky S&M looking device. Fits perfect.

http://www.necksgen.com