Sign in to follow this  
Hollywood

Oculus Rift

I can do 7:30. I'm not sure if I have Lime Rock. If I'd do I have never driven it. Cota might be better unless you want me to be in the grass the entire time

I will still drive like crap at Cota but at least there's no grass

lime rock is a free track  and LOLOLOL

Lime Rock is/was one of the included tracks. Was Laguna Seca/Lime Rock back in my day *shakes cane* Easy to learn, difficult to be fast on and good luck passing.

Lime Rock is/was one of the included tracks. Was Laguna Seca/Lime Rock back in my day *shakes cane* Easy to learn, difficult to be fast on and good luck passing.

do you still have your setup? join tonight? 

My weekly races start back up tomorrow. Road America

I wish but have a long way to go before I can jump into those..damn love RA too.

@@cabowabo is going to jump into my rig next weekend while we're doing a BP4W swap in the WRL car. He'll taste the cool aid, it won't be long before his return to the fold. #keepingCobbSingle

That was fun with the NASA crew tonight, thanks for hosting Jander. You guys plopped me right into a GT3 car with no warning for the giant erection Id have for the next 20 laps. This "game" is amazing.

Just to update this thread for anyone in the future that might find it wondering...

- The Oculus definitely made me uneasy at first, especially when crashing or going through huge elevation changes...to the point that you could say I felt "sick"

- This went away by the second day of use. Like anything, it just took pushing through it to let my brain adjust.

For the purposes of training on a track or just to have fun with race craft, there's no going back to flat screens. 

That was fun with the NASA crew tonight, thanks for hosting Jander. You guys plopped me right into a GT3 car with no warning for the giant erection Id have for the next 20 laps. This "game" is amazing.

Lets do a TJ sim session!

I run mostly Project Cars 2 and Oculus and Logitech G27.  Before my first instructing event after a year off I put in maybe 15 hours at COTA with slowest BRZ tune to replicate my miata.  I can say for a fact it was a game changer on drive day; and the next event i didn't prep with VR and first session wasn't as crisp.  It's not like you forget a track really; but putting in those hours right before let me not even need 5% attention to track layout and just concentrating on other fine lines of racing.  I'm ThereIsNoTry on steam.

I run mostly Project Cars 2 and Oculus and Logitech G27.  Before my first instructing event after a year off I put in maybe 15 hours at COTA with slowest BRZ tune to replicate my miata.  I can say for a fact it was a game changer on drive day; and the next event i didn't prep with VR and first session wasn't as crisp.  It's not like you forget a track really; but putting in those hours right before let me not even need 5% attention to track layout and just concentrating on other fine lines of racing.  I'm ThereIsNoTry on steam.

It really is great prep - especially in VR.  I'm planning my first trip to the Nurburgring next year and have been doing many many laps in Assetto Corsa as practice.  Hoping to not crash into the Armco barrier while I'm there.  I really don't want to end up being featured in one of those 'Ring crash highlight reels.

Agreed.  I like to consider iRacing = Racing Sim, AC = Driving Sim.   I don't know if there is anything more fun than power sliding around Mugello in the Porsche RSR 3.0!!!!

<--  example of the fun

That looks like a blast! No seams between monitors, and when you look around it appears realistic enough to get emersed. The resolution reminds me of older video game graphics which will just get better and better! 

Graphics are a funny thing in VR; because of how amazing immersiveness is you hardly notice lower graphics (textures, poly count).  But like a lot of things in life no one can truly explain VR; you just have to experience it yourself to really know. Having said that Project Cars 2 is leaps better than AC in that video.

So my gripes with the Oculus now having used it for a while...

1. The headset gets kind of hot (I mean it is a display strapped to your face), so with longer sessions you tend to sweat and have goggle face afterwards. This really sucks when you're doing enduro races.
  2. The lenses always seem to be greasy no matter how well you clean it.
  3. Not being able to see your steering wheel for mapped controls is kind of annoying but not a huge deal. More so annoying when you're casually gaming and jumping from car to car.
  4. Not being able to quickly jump and configure settings, pop into Discord, etc. is very annoying. The iRacing VR menu is out of beta finally and is great, so this isn't as bad as it was (for iRacing). Other games are a PITA.
  5. The Oculus seems to be very sensitive to graphics card driver updates for me personally. I've had to rollback drivers twice until they caught up.
  6. Occasionally, I have a huge glitch related to Oculus' use of HDMI and USB 3.0, causing the device to freeze up in a really bizarre way (but the PC/game is still running fine).

Overall, it's worth it for the immersion. I do occasionally want to just "casually" sit down and do a race on a screen while drinkin a beer. The Oculus tends to demand more of a commitment in terms of time and energy. Also, harder to find where I put my beer.

So my gripes with the Oculus now having used it for a while...

1. The headset gets kind of hot (I mean it is a display strapped to your face), so with longer sessions you tend to sweat and have goggle face afterwards. This really sucks when you're doing enduro races.
  2. The lenses always seem to be greasy no matter how well you clean it.
  3. Not being able to see your steering wheel for mapped controls is kind of annoying but not a huge deal. More so annoying when you're casually gaming and jumping from car to car.
  4. Not being able to quickly jump and configure settings, pop into Discord, etc. is very annoying. The iRacing VR menu is out of beta finally and is great, so this isn't as bad as it was (for iRacing). Other games are a PITA.
  5. The Oculus seems to be very sensitive to graphics card driver updates for me personally. I've had to rollback drivers twice until they caught up.
  6. Occasionally, I have a huge glitch related to Oculus' use of HDMI and USB 3.0, causing the device to freeze up in a really bizarre way (but the PC/game is still running fine).

Overall, it's worth it for the immersion. I do occasionally want to just "casually" sit down and do a race on a screen while drinkin a beer. The Oculus tends to demand more of a commitment in terms of time and energy. Also, harder to find where I put my beer.

Sweating is a person to person deal. Some of my friends can't wear my headset for even 5 min. I've heard other foam facepads help.  That goes with grease too.

Sweating is a person to person deal. Some of my friends can't wear my headset for even 5 min. I've heard other foam facepads help.  That goes with grease too.

But what about the beer issue?

But what about the beer issue?

You're a smart guy. Incorporate a beer hat with the Oculus.

You're a smart guy. Incorporate a beer hat with the Oculus.

He's obviously not a professional drinker.  I have no problem finding my beer.

Long straws.

That's terrible. And you must not have a nose that allows the sliver sight trick.  With headset on tilt you head 45 degrees up and look into the world through the sliver of light passing between headset nose bridge and nose.  Or develop six  sense.  After my fiance had me do a blind immersion training years back I seem to just find things by hand movements and guesses.  Bonus points are awarded to those that never take headset off. Also another thing about sweat, in summer I to will sweat in headset; my solution was a small desk fan blowing at me.  Plus immersion added when in open cockpit vehicle.  

That's terrible. And you must not have a nose that allows the sliver sight trick.  With headset on tilt you head 45 degrees up and look into the world through the sliver of light passing between headset nose bridge and nose.  Or develop six  sense.  After my fiance had me do a blind immersion training years back I seem to just find things by hand movements and guesses.  Bonus points are awarded to those that never take headset off. Also another thing about sweat, in summer I to will sweat in headset; my solution was a small desk fan blowing at me.  Plus immersion added when in open cockpit vehicle.  

Oh, I am able to do that. What I can't do is drink from a glass or can. If you can drink from a glass, or a can that isn't a Red Bull or Michelob can, I am amazed, and I applaud you.

You ever see a mechanic pour oil a foot above valve cover. :-) Also I’m still hoping/dreaming that we’ll get that unicorn tech to drop VR size by 1/4, up the pixel density by 10, a dash of foverated rendering and cut all cords but the wireless to PC. Until then I’ve tried almost all of them and still say Oculus is best.