Sign in to follow this  
Hollywood

Oculus Rift

NO, but it sounds like someone is about to!!!!  :wink:

NO, but it sounds like someone is about to!!!!  :wink:

Oh no no no, I don't even own a device that could power a sim.

Just thinkin' happy thoughts. I used someone's headset in a sim (I think it was iRacing) and it was the first time I actually felt immersed enough to enjoy it...having to look through the corners (which multi-screen stuff just could never do right) and actually checking your blindspots with physical movement....me likey..

Simcraft is demoing Wayne Taylor Racing's rig at PRI with the Occulus...they have told me that I will be buying one...LOL!

Simcraft is demoing Wayne Taylor Racing's rig at PRI with the Occulus...they have told me that I will be buying one...LOL!

Definitely interested to hear your feedback coming from the tri-screen setup you use - keep us updated!

come by the house next time your in town you can try my oculus setup in iracing.  it is magical.

Really wish PDS wouldn't schedule ontop of NASA weekends so often :/ Definitely gonna take you up on that pal.

I'm not as hardcore as the PC simracing guys,  but I use a PS4, Logitech racing wheel/pedals  w/Assetto Corsa & Project cars. 

With Playstation VR out I expect it will only be a matter of time for a decent racing sim to come available for it.   (driveclub doesnt count) 

At lone star lemans VIP room they had an occulus sim rig setup with some free open source driving game that wasn't very good but even with that was leaps and bounds better than any experience Ive had with racing sims. 

Conceptually the technology applies brilliantly to SIM racing, but I feel the hardware is not quit there yet. . . I will likely wait another year or two for higher resolution.  Of course I have not tried the newer Oculus, but I have spent some time on a SIM using the Oculus developer kit

Anyone taken the plunge and left the tri-screen / single screen setup yet?

Kinda.  I hang 3 screens and the Oculus VR headset off the same computer. :-)

What a VR headset gives you that a triple-screen doesn't is the perception of presence.  You trick your brain sufficiently to believe you are there. Because it takes the real world away, it leaves your unconscious vision processes free to ignore everything else and concentrate on the driving.

The drawback is that super good drivers with super good vision may miss the detail in far away objects.  The display resolution on these first generation consumer devices are good enough me to look 4-5 seconds ahead, but better drivers may feel a little near-sighted by the lack of detail in the farther objects.

In terms of software,  Assetta Corsa has really good tire and car feel, Project Cars looks the best, and nothing beats iRacing for practicing driving in traffic.

Conceptually the technology applies brilliantly to SIM racing, but I feel the hardware is not quit there yet. . . I will likely wait another year or two for higher resolution.  Of course I have not tried the newer Oculus, but I have spent some time on a SIM using the Oculus developer kit

+1 oh Bryan's experience with the Occulus development kit. I too had the DK2 and found that the resolution was just too poor to be able to see your refference points at the end of a straightaway.  You could only realistically rely on refference points within 50 feet of you, and if you're traveling 120 + mph by the time you see the refference point, you're off track.

No experience with the CV1 but i hear the resolution is playable for a sim.  As far as a rift vs 3 screens..... it'll be VR all darn day.  My times improved just from the submersion factor. I was able to pay attention to nuances of the sim much better, therefore allowing me to control the car better. If you get the CV1 and don't like it, lmk, i may buy it from you :)

I went from a single monitor to the CV1.  Haven't gone back to the monitor since.  The sense of presence, immersion, and depth perception add too much to the experience to go back to a monitor.  Sure the resolution is not as good, but you adjust for that pretty quickly (I hardly ever think about it anymore).  I had some motion sickness issues at first, but got over it in a couple weeks.

Most people that try VR become converts.  If you're ever in the Dallas area, you're welcome to come test drive my sim rig.  I spend most of my time in iRacing and Assetto Corsa.

I took the plunge back when the DK2 came out and immediately knew I would never return.  Disassembled my triple monitor sim rig and switched fully to VR.  Now I have a CV1 and couldn't be happier.  I almost immediately turned faster lap times in VR.  Racing is a bit tricky because your situational awareness is hampered although more realistic.  You get used to it though.

In terms of software,  Assetta Corsa has really good tire and car feel, Project Cars looks the best, and nothing beats iRacing for practicing driving in traffic.

Agreed.  I like to consider iRacing = Racing Sim, AC = Driving Sim.   I don't know if there is anything more fun than power sliding around Mugello in the Porsche RSR 3.0!!!!

<--  example of the fun

I took the plunge back when the DK2 came out and immediately knew I would never return.  Disassembled my triple monitor sim rig and switched fully to VR.  Now I have a CV1 and couldn't be happier.  I almost immediately turned faster lap times in VR.  Racing is a bit tricky because your situational awareness is hampered although more realistic.  You get used to it though.

I'm in it for the realism - not to game - so that sounds like the move to make. Thanks for the feedback!

Part of the challenge when comparing triple screens with VR is that VR you can't screw things up too bad with the hardware/software side, but on a triple screen setup, things can be very wrong or very right.  You have to physically mount your screens properly as well as configure them properly on the software side.  The software settings must match the physical setup.  I have been on some poor triple monitor setups, but with properly monitor mounting, and software setup, you can create a very realistic experience.  Looking forward to future generations of VR for sure though.

I've been playing Project Cars a good bit on the Vive. It really does add a great level of immersion. I think the pixel density of the headset needs to be doubled before it can really match the visual quality you get with a good monitor setup, but it really is still a cool experience.

Here's my setup:

80-20170301_222253_07fb78e94fd29db61d3bf

HTC Vive VR Headset

Logitech G430 Surround Sound Headphones

Logitech G920 Wheel + Pedals + Shifter

Wheel Stand Pro for mounting (Actually, WSP is a local company here in DFW!)

APIGA mount for the seat.

Now here is where it gets interesting...

I happened to have my seats that I took out of my C6 Corvette sitting around in my living room, since I replaced the OEM seats with a set of Sparco Evos. The passenger seat had manual sliders, and just happened to line up with the bolt holes on the seat mounting hardware. A few bolts later, and I had an adjustable, portable, and very comfortable sim seats!

I still have the driver seat sitting in my living room if anyone is interested in replicating this. Shoot me a PM or catch me at the track.

So I’m one day in with Oculus and am absolutely in awe. I’ve only made myself sick once via Laguna Seca corkscrew. Your ass is waiting for input it never receives which is a huge adjustment, and when running it on monitors was never an issue..

If anyone wants to add me on iRacing my username is Frederic Scott2

CoTA in the MX5 cup tonight? or Lime Rock? 

@

@@SchadenFred 

So I’m one day in with Oculus and am absolutely in awe. I’ve only made myself sick once via Laguna Seca corkscrew. Your ass is waiting for input it never receives which is a huge adjustment, and when running it on monitors was never an issue..

If you are getting sick make sure that you never drop below 89/90 FPS. Any drop at all is very disorienting. If you are turn down settings. 

CoTA in the MX5 cup tonight? or Lime Rock? 

@

@@SchadenFred 

Any and all. 7:30 PM to be safe for me, I usually don't leave work until 7.

@@SchadenFred By the way, I'm "Samuel Johnson7" officially. Because unique name.

I can do 7:30. I'm not sure if I have Lime Rock. If I'd do I have never driven it. Cota might be better unless you want me to be in the grass the entire time