TrackJunkies.Org

1966 Datsun Roadster Build Thread (Street Car)

Dave

FWIW, I've always had better luck going for quite a bit of feeler gauge drag .001" thicker than your setting. That always gets a nice consistent "light drag" with .001" less. The extra pressure on the "lotta drag" setting helps eliminate any slight misalignment errors with the feeler making you think it's too tight. 

I generally am off +/- .0015" doing it by feel to light drag, sometimes more. But doing it to heavy drag one step over my setting is extremely repeatable, probably +/- .0005".

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone. I've been wanting a project car for a while now. I finally decided on a 1966-1967 Datsun Roadster. Its called a Fairlady in Japan and its the predecessor to my 350Z (still called Fairl

Funny story for ya.    I took the datsun to lunch today to subway. There was a mom and her 2 kids (boy and girl) that were about 8 to 10 years of age. The kids were facing away from the datsun as the

Well *we* got it running. I sure as hell didn't figure it out on my own. The distributor was the culprit. I can't exactly remember what the main issue was now, but it might of been 180 out. I had a fu

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

I realize that since I've kicked my track driving addiction, I really don't have anything to add to this forum. But this is where my "build thread" is housed so I guess I'll update it. 

I've been contemplating selling this car for over a year now. The whole engine rebuild process left a bad taste in my mouth and I never really drive the car. Also, it was alot more fun to drive when I just had the truck. I can have a ton of fun in the M3 so I don't really "need" the datsun as much anymore.  

There are 3 main reasons I never drove it over the last year.

1. The weather
  2. Reliability
  3. No fun roads anywhere near me

Ever since I got the A/F sensor, custom exhaust completed, and the tune worked out, the car has been 100% reliable. It fires up the first time (even if its been sitting months) and pulls strong through the rmp range. I can't believe I've gotten it to this point. I can't really use reliability as an excuse anymore. 

The weather still plays a major factor but when everything lines up, its pretty fun when I drive it. Except for all the wienies in my area that can't drive and make it less enjoyable. 

Getting on the highway is a no go. That also means I'm stuck in north dallas unless I don't mind driving an hour north on a city street like Preston until I can get to some real back roads. Usually, its just not worth it. I think a 5 speed conversion might be a good idea so I can get it out on the highway. Then I can get to fun roads more easily. That's just a thought right now. Who knows what I'll actually do, if anything at all. 

Today might of been a turning point for me. I think enough time has passed for the pain of the engine build to dull significantly. I've had zero interest in starting any projects on this car although it still needs a bunch of help. Today is the first day where I felt like I wanted to work on it. I have several parts just waiting to be put on that I never got around to. I'm hoping next weekend rolls around and this glimmer of enthusiasm has not dissipated and I start one of my projects. 

This is the most positive I've been about this car since I broke it. 

I hear you.   I got really burned out constantly working on stuff and throwing money at my race car just to keep it on track and not actually going any faster.  for the money I was spending, the car should be several seconds/lap faster than it was.

Started my daughter in karting 2 yrs ago- and my son yesterday-- and I'm having so much fun with them, I don't miss racing much myself.  I get to go and play with them and all of my cars have been sitting ignored for months and I just don't care..

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was sick all last week so yesterday was my first chance to work on the datsun, and I actually did this time. I didn't take on any big items, so it was all stupid little stuff, but it was fun. 

I took the seats out on friday and took them over to an upholstery shop near by. The guy looked at the bottom and didn't want to deal with them lol. I thought this was going to be a slam dunk, but I should always expect to be disappointed. So the guy had an issue with the "webbing" (or lack there of) under the seat. There is some sort of organic thatch material on the bottom held in by some webbing straps. Then I think the foam sits on top of that. I haven't pulled the covers off to check yet. Apparently MGs and the like have a rubber mat base that he prefers to use and was going to charge me a shitload to rebuild the bottom. I figured that was my signal to walk away and that he didn't want to waste his time. Fair enough. Now I'm wondering if I try to tackle this myself or find a different shop. Google maps search doesn't show that many upholstery shops near by, and the guy I went to has the highest rating. lol

5c448ad69cd41_20190118_131130.jpg

Next I replaced the spedo cable because the old one had a split in it and was pooping on my garage floor. That was probably the most straightforward project I had all day.

Then I worked on the gauge lighting since I had the seats out. I tried to put leds in there after I got the car, but I couldn't get them to fit. I thought it was because they were too long and would bottom out before I could press them in and twist to lock. After some fiddling I found out that the rubber cup that goes around the bulb socket was hard and the socket was slippery. Does that make sense? Anyway I could never get a good grip on the socket so I could push and twist to lock it into place. I ended up having to split the rubber cup on 2 sides so I could slip the bulb socket out. then I could lock the bulb socket into the gauge and then slide the rubber cup over when I was done. This took soooooooo much time. 

Next was the carpet on the drivers side. Its been loose since I bought the car. It was problematic because it would bunch up behind the clutch mostly. So I got some permatex carpet adhesive. It seems to be holding for now. Lets see how long that lasts.

I think my rear main seal is leaking. That was the rope seal that gave me so much problems. Its a tiny leak, like a drop of oil a week, but its there. I'm just going to deal with it. Also, the cheap ass thread sealant I put on the tranny drain plug took about 6 months to cure. That thing leaked like the drain plug wasn't even there for a long time. One of my tasks yesterday was to pull the plug, clean up the area, and RTV the thing in place. But since it seems to finally be dry, I'm going to leave it. 

Well the car is back together now. I would like to figure out what to do with the seats.

I think the next "big" thing I'd like to do is drop the rear axel and refresh the whole thing. That pinon seal is gone, and I bet the axle seals aren't much better. 

Define shiteload. Just had some torn panels replaced in my wife’s 4Runner seat for $400 and it was a real easy 1/2 day job. It was the middle of three bids.

Try searching some car forums for shops to get a bigger pool.

I realize that since I've kicked my track driving addiction, I really don't have anything to add to this forum. But this is where my "build thread" is housed so I guess I'll update it. 

I've been contemplating selling this car for over a year now. The whole engine rebuild process left a bad taste in my mouth and I never really drive the car. Also, it was alot more fun to drive when I just had the truck. I can have a ton of fun in the M3 so I don't really "need" the datsun as much anymore.  

There are 3 main reasons I never drove it over the last year.

1. The weather
  2. Reliability
  3. No fun roads anywhere near me

Ever since I got the A/F sensor, custom exhaust completed, and the tune worked out, the car has been 100% reliable. It fires up the first time (even if its been sitting months) and pulls strong through the rmp range. I can't believe I've gotten it to this point. I can't really use reliability as an excuse anymore. 

The weather still plays a major factor but when everything lines up, its pretty fun when I drive it. Except for all the wienies in my area that can't drive and make it less enjoyable. 

Getting on the highway is a no go. That also means I'm stuck in north dallas unless I don't mind driving an hour north on a city street like Preston until I can get to some real back roads. Usually, its just not worth it. I think a 5 speed conversion might be a good idea so I can get it out on the highway. Then I can get to fun roads more easily. That's just a thought right now. Who knows what I'll actually do, if anything at all. 

Today might of been a turning point for me. I think enough time has passed for the pain of the engine build to dull significantly. I've had zero interest in starting any projects on this car although it still needs a bunch of help. Today is the first day where I felt like I wanted to work on it. I have several parts just waiting to be put on that I never got around to. I'm hoping next weekend rolls around and this glimmer of enthusiasm has not dissipated and I start one of my projects. 

This is the most positive I've been about this car since I broke it. 

Sounds like you need to get the Z back on track

Define shiteload. Just had some torn panels replaced in my wife’s 4Runner seat for $400 and it was a real easy 1/2 day job. It was the middle of three bids.

Try searching some car forums for shops to get a bigger pool.

The way he talked, he didn't want to do the work. He never actually gave me a price, just that he would charge me alot. A buddy of mine gave me another place to try out.

FTFY

I've seen your data. I never said you were slow, and data doesn't lie. But your 1.7 CCW PB is in jeopardy(-.2 sec), maybe this weekend as the weather conditions look really good if the track and traffic allow and I uphold my end of the bargain. I'm hoping that not instructing this weekend will result in a more focused effort. Haven't been driving bad, but I'm seeing "opportunities" all over the place. So what if a stripped out race car on R-comps is matched by a protégé with stock powered daily heavyweight on real 200TW tires? In a Ford of all things. Would that goad you into coming out of retirement? :wink:

The 3.1 is a little further out but doable. If conditions are right, a good run can move time a LOT on that many corners.

The CW 1.7 not so much. I've got some unfinished business with that one for sure. :angry:

I've seen your data. I never said you were slow, and data doesn't lie. But your 1.7 CCW PB is in jeopardy(-.2 sec), maybe this weekend as the weather conditions look really good if the track and traffic allow and I uphold my end of the bargain. I'm hoping that not instructing this weekend will result in a more focused effort. Haven't been driving bad, but I'm seeing "opportunities" all over the place. So what if a stripped out race car on R-comps is matched by a protégé with stock powered daily heavyweight on real 200TW tires? In a Ford of all things. Would that goad you into coming out of retirement? :wink:

The 3.1 is a little further out but doable. If conditions are right, a good run can move time a LOT on that many corners.

The CW 1.7 not so much. I've got some unfinished business with that one for sure. :angry:

Hahaha! "I" said I was slow.  :biggrin: I just used your "voice".

You've improved quite rapidly. I've been impressed with what you've accomplished thus far, in a mustang no less! I can't wait to see the videos of you beating all my PBs. Retiring was one of the smartest things I've done in decades! 

• 3 months later...

Howdy, been a while since I've been here. I did a small change with large ramifications. When I bought the car I got new metering needles for the SU carbs. They were coded ADQ. There are 16 stations on the needles where you can measure/change the diameter. I read the ADQ was the best on the Datsun Roadster forum and they worked fine while the engine was old and beat up. With the new engine they limited my stroked 2 liter. I had them tuned for about 45 mph anything over that and it would go lean at cruising speeds. WOT was great though so I could gun it up to 80 or 90 but then as soon as I tried to maintain that speed I'd be around 16/1. Way too lean. 

So I ordered some new needles. I just took an educated guess and bought some ADM needles. They are roughly the same as the ADQ until you get further down the needle. 

I installed the new needles today and tuned the carbs to them. They worked out pretty darn good. Now that I have the A/F sensor I was able to tune the mixture very easily by just resting my phone on the car and rotating the dial until I got 14.7. I took the car out on its maiden voyage and everything looked ok on city streets so I decided to chance it and hop on the tollway. I got it up to about 65 (that's about 3500 rpm in 4th gear) and cruised there for a few miles. Everything looked pretty good! I was at about 15/1 on average so it was a little lean but not scary. It wasn't stumbling or anything. In fact it was very quiet. I also did a valve job this morning. That seemed to help smooth out the engine too.

Anyway, it was all very promising. I will continue to tune it a little more. One thing I was able to do was lower the needle to help the idle not be so rich. I plan on moving the needle up just a nat's ass to see if that helps with the A/F. If not, I will put it back to the lower position and richen the mixture a little bit. 

If it all goes well, I won't be relegated to just driving on city streets, which means I can get out and do fun drives. I'm getting excited. To be continued.... 

Welp, my addiction continues.  My FF restoration has been sidetracked a bit because I found something very special for my bride.  Super clean car, but restoring a ship takes a bit of effort (note -- if weight exceeds 5000#s and engine exceeds 500CID it cannot be called a mere boat!).  Once this car is 100%, I'll be back onto the FF.  And, yes, I'm finally working on the Fury too.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=154660.0

To me, the track thing is as much about comraderie as it is about the cars and/or going fast.  Understand getting burned out, but I miss seeing you out there!

• 2 months later...

While doing some highway testing in the spring (very late to update this thread) I pulled over to richen up the mix for driving at 70-75. As I was making the adjustment I noticed this. Almost all the screws to the fuel bowl had rattled loose and fell out. the last one was barely on by a few threads. I tightened that one down and limped home. Now they all have blue loctite on them and I will definitely be keeping an eye on them constantly. Almost burned the car to the ground. I got very lucky on this one. 

20190602_124250.thumb.jpg.876cc569405f35e27d009a8305aa2d02.jpg

20190602_124253.thumb.jpg.fd13f0f599605854e92fd92b550d952b.jpg

Yeesh!  glad you caught it!

A dab of RTV on the threads works too.  it's still as secure as the blue loctite, but somewhat reusable and less risk of stripping the head off the screw when you need to take it out later.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:16 PM, hornetball said:

Welp, my addiction continues.  My FF restoration has been sidetracked a bit because I found something very special for my bride.  Super clean car, but restoring a ship takes a bit of effort (note -- if weight exceeds 5000#s and engine exceeds 500CID it cannot be called a mere boat!).  Once this car is 100%, I'll be back onto the FF.  And, yes, I'm finally working on the Fury too.

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=154660.0

To me, the track thing is as much about comraderie as it is about the cars and/or going fast.  Understand getting burned out, but I miss seeing you out there!

LOVE THAT CAR!!!!! And you've got a VERY happy wife!!!

23 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

Yeesh!  glad you caught it!

A dab of RTV on the threads works too.  it's still as secure as the blue loctite, but somewhat reusable and less risk of stripping the head off the screw when you need to take it out later.

Yeah, that could've been HORRIBLE!!

• 1 year later...

dammit man!  wut u gonna do now?

I haz race car for sell.

I also still haz the RPF1s I bought from you sitting on a shelf in the shop.  Right after I bought the wheels, someone bought my 240SX and the wheels have been sitting since.  haha

18 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

Hairdresser car!!!   at least is a smoooth ride!

BTW..  Welcome back, even if all you're doing is tying up lose ends! haha

Thanks @Matt93SE !

Do you know how good it feels to get a slow head nod from a 80 year old dude sipping coffee next to you in his clean LS400? lol

21 minutes ago, Dave said:

Thanks @Matt93SE !

Do you know how good it feels to get a slow head nod from a 80 year old dude sipping coffee next to you in his clean LS400? lol

Considering for the last 22 years my DDs have been Maximas, G35 sedan, and now a bland silver Q50S... 

Welcome to adulthood! LOL