Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1966 Datsun Roadster Build Thread (Street Car)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

hpimola

hpimola

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Locationhouston
  • Track Vehicle:2007 LOTUS EXIGE S --> Upgraded to SM# 13

very happy to see the progress.  got to take mine out with  my 9 year old son for a few hours on saturday, love these little cars

5a53f031c6d9d_IMG_1778.jpg

5a53f04563609_IMG_1779.jpg

Dave

Dave

Ugh. This is what is heard when I post.

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

Thank you sir.

Holy crap. You car is beautiful and in fantastic condition! Wow!

SchadenFred

SchadenFred

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Track Vehicle:01 Miata #149, 08 BMW 335i

I'm so glad to see this car running!

You're a braver man than me, though.  I'd never try to fire up a new motor inside the garage.  Major engine efforts get started up in the driveway, at least 10 feet from the house, with a fire extinguisher on standby.

But it runs!

Dave

Dave

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

I'm so glad to see this car running!

You're dumber than me, though.  I'd never try to fire up a new motor inside the garage.  Major engine efforts get started up in the driveway, at least 10 feet from the house, with a fire extinguisher on standby.

But it runs!

FTFY.

Yeah, the list of things I don't know is VERY long. I can't really roll it out of the garage, but it would of been smart to have the fire extinguisher closer to the car. 

Dave

Dave

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

Just pour in some zinc additive from Shell's new classic line for extra retro cred. They stock it at Autozone. Best of all its fully endorsed by Thundermoose so buy 3 of everything and tell all your vintage car friends!

As said above, high zinc for engine break-in.  If you've already got it full of oil, do the zinc additive thing PoBoy mentioned and you won't have too much in the crank case.

After that, I recommend using an oil with zinc just because old engine.   Joe Gibbs racing oils have it, Valvoline VR1 has it, a few others do too.  there are also oils designed for older engines that have high levels of zinc/ZDDP in the blend, although I don't remember the brands anymore.  damn that old age.

I didn't see anyone else mention this but use a good "break-in" motor oil with a lot of zinc in it. Without the zinc the lifters will wear the cam lobes flat very quickly.

Darren

I found a Zinc additive at the store yesterday and picked up a bottle. I'll use it on this next oil change which will be this weekend. I think its about time after 20-30 minutes of running. Get all that assembly lube and stuff out of there. 

Dave

Dave

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

I tried to fix the fuel "leak" yesterday. I can say the float is fine and the shutoff valve the float pushes on works too. I did notice that the gasket was curled into the bowl and I couldn't get it to flatten out. So I'm guessing that was probably my problem. I didn't have a good seal on my fuel bowl which allowed fuel to rise past the float. In a SU carb, the fuel level in the bowl is critical since there is just a simple tube connecting it to the carb. The fuel "water line" in the bowl will always be the same as the carb. 

Got new gaskets on the way. I couldn't get these to flatten out. Fun.

Dave

Dave

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

The new gasket seemed to fix the issue. I tried the same test it failed on last time. Test = Remove the the piston and needle assembly, turn on the electric pump, and watch the fuel level in the nozzle. It didn't fill the carb with fuel this time so I call that a win. 

5a5fde8c52a2f_su1600.jpg

SchadenFred

SchadenFred

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Track Vehicle:01 Miata #149, 08 BMW 335i

Nice one.  It's really coming together.  So, you going to bring it out to the season opener at MSR Houston?

Hot laps are a great way to break in a new engine.

Or is it "break a new engine"?  I get those two mixed up.

Dave

Dave

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

Nice one.  It's really coming together.  So, you going to bring it out to the season opener at MSR Houston?

Hot laps are a great way to break in a new engine.

Or is it "break a new engine"?  I get those two mixed up.

Thanks!

My first goal is to get it out of the garage. I've yet to actually make the thing move. 

I need it to be able to move at least a few hundred yards so I can get Spenser at Dashbuilt to make me a full exhaust from the header back. I have a tentative appointment for the 22nd. Fingers crossed I can get the kinks worked out this weekend for him.

Dave

Dave

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

Thanks to everyone that helped.  :biggrin:

__clu

__clu

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationPlano
  • Track Vehicle:'99 Miata

Ooh what's the artwork in garage? Car looks great!

Dave

Dave

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationDFW

Ooh what's the artwork in garage? Car looks great!

I have illustrations for the last 3 cars I've owned. And I have some track maps. TWS, Nurburgring, and Tail of the Dragon.

5a639a4d2c6a9_20180109_2019171.jpg

5a639a61d3052_20160228_155223.jpg

5a639a75d5e55_IMG_20180109_195510.jpg

hornetball

hornetball

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationGranbury, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'95 Miata

Sounds great Dave.

BTW, highly recommend these:  http://wheelskins.com/

Silver 90 1.6L Turbo Miata (Greddy + MSPNP, Cowl Induction, FCM) (Build Thread)
Red 95 1.8 Miata (949 Racing 95R Project Emulation) (Build Thread)

edison_GTI

edison_GTI

Turbo Nutter

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:Kermit

Yay!  I like happy endings.

Edison
1995 VW Golf Sport 1.8T - AKA Kermit - NASA GTS2 #675
2007 Mazda MX-5