Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1966 Datsun Roadster Build Thread (Street Car)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

Bryant

Bryant

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTX
  • Track Vehicle:95 Civic hatch, 97 Civic hatch

On the hunt for a machine shop to finish the work on the block. Its been bored and surfaced but it still needs to be honed, cam bearings pressed in, and have the pistons/rods/crank balanced. 

Learned alot from this project:

1. I hate this shit
  2. I can't trust anyone (duh, this is always my guiding principal) 
  3. Never again
  4. If I can't do it with my own 2 hands then it ain't gonna get done

In all seriousness, I'm fairly close to being done. I've wasted a ton of time waiting for people to do stuff that never really gets done, but I wasn't going to work in 100 degree heat anyway to reassemble everything. As long as this stuff gets finished in time for Oct, or whenever it decides to cool off, I'm good. 

Edit: I still need to choose a camshaft too. 

The three machine shops in town that I've had good experiences with are Endyn, Alamo Autosports, and Watt's shop.  Brice at Alamo is probably the best bet out of the three of those for doing something unusual like this.  He turned my head around in a couple of days, but turn around time all depends on how busy he is.  Endyn does good work, but they take a long time.  Watt is a wizard - he's sort of hard to find.  If you want but can't find his contact number, pm me.

Dave

Dave

Ugh. This is what is heard when I post.

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts
  • LocationDFW

Old Tranny carnage NSFW. 

59a07c71a08b7_20170825_142931.jpg

59a07da5eaebd_20170825_142940withdrawing

59a07dc9d8e55_20170825_142612.jpg

Dave

Dave

Ugh. This is what is heard when I post.

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts
  • LocationDFW

Moar...

This is the shaft inside the counter gears. The gearset in the pic above with the missing teeth. There were needle bearings on one side but not the other. 

59a44c8b116eb_20170826_125853.jpg

It must of gotten pretty hot in there eating itself up.

59a44ceb14d0b_20170826_125839.jpg

I got all the new syncros on and ball bearings pressed in. Now I'm just waiting for a few new needle bearings. This thing should run like a champ when its done. 

59a44d18c2aaa_20170827_141429.jpg

hornetball

hornetball

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • LocationGranbury, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'95 Miata

Dave's Tranny Shop!

Silver 90 1.6L Turbo Miata (Greddy + MSPNP, Cowl Induction, FCM) (Build Thread)
Red 95 1.8 Miata (949 Racing 95R Project Emulation) (Build Thread)