Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1966 Datsun Roadster Build Thread (Street Car)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

speedracer

speedracer

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationHouston
I think you are going to enjoy the project and I predict you will be susessful in you adventure.

Dave

Dave

Recovering Track Junkie

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationDFW

I drove down to Austin and back Saturday to get my 5 main block. I'm getting to old for this crap. haha. Also, I found out that the timing covers aren't the same. Guess who has one for sale?? That's right, the guy who sold me the block. Guess how much it is? Oh, almost 1/2 the cost of the block. Woot. I fail. I bought it. *sad

59348a012d41a_20170604_171803.jpg

It had one crank bearing still in it. Looks to be better than the ones in my engine.

59348a6639204_20170604_171723.jpg

From my engine. 

5934910f5975c_20170604_175842.jpg

Cylinder from the 5 main engine

59348ba5611a7_20170604_172402.jpg

Cylinder from my engine

59348c01b4c97_20170604_172035.jpg

2008 - Nissan 350Z        - Build Thread

1966 - Datsun Roadster - Build Thread

YouTube Channel

dizzy8085

dizzy8085

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2012 mx5
Following. Love this.
2012 mx5 track rat

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish
  • Track Vehicle:The slow kind

Oh I love old engines that sit for long periods of time.   both of the cylinder walls are pitted pretty bad.  going to need an overbore for cleanup unless you like blowby.  still looks like a fun project- I'd love a roadster, but I'm scared to drive in Houston traffic with anything smaller than my G35..

And just because I'm a shitty driver doesn't make a miata any less slow.

Dave

Dave

Recovering Track Junkie

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationDFW

I am currently cleaning every nut, bolt, washer, and bracket on the engine. Not exciting stuff. Its many hours of work, but I don't want to put dirty parts back on my engine. I don't have any good before pictures, but trust me, this is an amazing improvement. 

First I have to hit it with degreaser and a wire brush then I throw it into the media blast cabinet. If I try to go straight to the blaster, all the media just gets embedded into the oil cake mess. 

Engine Mount example:

593e923d7747a_20170611_125221.jpg

YouTube Channel

hornetball

hornetball

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • LocationGranbury, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'95 Miata

Ooooooohhhhh!!!  Aaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

:biggrin:

Silver 90 1.6L Turbo Miata (Greddy + MSPNP, Cowl Induction, FCM) (Build Thread)
Red 95 1.8 Miata (949 Racing 95R Project Emulation) (Build Thread)

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish

what type of media are you using to clean them?  are you removing the plating left behind?  They look great now, but be careful you don't wind up with a rusty mess a year from now!!

there are many metal plating shops in larger cities like houston and Dallas..   if you have everything off the car already, you can have anything steel hot-tanked to remove all the grime, and then send them to a plating shop and have the entire batch re-plated w/ zinc or cad for under $100..

A few of the Datsun shops here in Houston have done that when they do a full resto on a Z car..  they tear the car down and sort fasteners by type (yellow, silver, green, black coatings), then send each off and have them re done as a lot. 

Edit..

for cleaning, I've also used this stuff before with very good rsults:  https://www.berryman...-parts-cleaner/

toss a handful of bolts in this and let it soak for a while.  agitate, soak a while more, remove.  come out very clean!

watch out though- this crap is NASTY on your skin.  not sure what's in it, but I remember it burning like fire when I stuck my hand in it and a few days later, a layer of skin peeled off my hands.  (the directions say to use rubber gloves. I did not follow those directions and regretted it.)

Dave

Dave

Recovering Track Junkie

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationDFW

I'm using glass bead media. I was talking with my buddy about the coating issue. He didn't have a great solution. Having them replated would be fantastic. The other issue I'm noticing is that many bolts have boogered up threads. I've been wondering how I could replace them with OEM quality bolts. 

I will have to look into finding a place to getting them replated. 

YouTube Channel

Matt93SE

Matt93SE

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationHouston-ish

I'm using glass bead media. I was talking with my buddy about the coating issue. He didn't have a great solution. Having them replated would be fantastic. The other issue I'm noticing is that many bolts have boogered up threads. I've been wondering how I could replace them with OEM quality bolts. 

I will have to look into finding a place to getting them replated. 

try walnut shells.  it's less aggressive than glass bead, and shouldn't damage the metal surface.

for bolts, you can look online- ebay & such- for OEM bolt lots..   I used to just take a 5 gal bucket to the local junk yard and pick up the bolts laying under all the cars..  98% of those guys don't care about the fasteners when they tear something down.  I'd fill a bucket until I could barely carry it out, and hand the guy at the counter a $10.  Most of the bolt sizes are similar/same as the current Nissan stuff, so you could hit a pick-a-part that has lots of 80/90/00 Nissan stuff and just go to down with a small electric impact.   clean out the floorboards and under the car(s), then rip off any accessories they haven't pulled yet.  toss the parts in the floor of the car and voila!  bucket O' bolts!

If you want to get closer to the exact same thing, there are also Datsun resto places that sell replacement bolt kits for Z cars.  you might find something similar for the roadster world..  those tend to get $ though as those places charge real money..  (like an engine kit for a Z was $100 or so)..

Dave

Dave

Recovering Track Junkie

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,595 posts
  • LocationDFW

Tiny update. The block is at the machine shop. I should know in a week if it is good to go so I can order my crank and stuff. Also, my buddy came over and showed me how to measure the piston ring gap. From the service manual: "The top piston ring gap should be 0.010-0.016 inches" Mine was 0.065 inches on cylinder #2. Thats the only piston I've pulled. 

5946801ab156f_20170618_080751.jpg

He also said he was surprised by the amount of pitting in the cylinder wall. He was thinking that the car must of sat for a long period of time before being run again.

We did a little research about dropping in a 5 speed. I went over to the guy's house that rebuilds 240Z-300ZX cars. We compared the bell housings and it was clear it wasn't going to work. He found an article about taking a diesel truck tranny and swapping in a 240SX 5 speed gearset. http://www.311s.org/...peedAlternative

The article is pretty poorly written. Its just a string of stream of consciousness posts. If someone has the time to decipher it, please go ahead and let me know what it says.  :biggrin:

YouTube Channel

PoBoyR6

PoBoyR6

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:CRG S4

Dave, I found this GM training video from 80 years ago about the high tech device that meters fuel with good old 'free air'. Thought you may enjoy it given your Datsun uses the same technology.

Carb tuners unite!! [out of frustration mostly...]

https://www.youtube....h?v=hkMnLmbJ2w8