Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NASA NOLA & TX - May 21st & 22nd

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

RKW

RKW

Former TT Babysitter

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:McLarenghini Bugatterari

[The following rant is not me speaking in any official capacity...]

I'm sorry that this event was such a shitshow. It's tremendously frustrating to have our guys travel at least 5 hours to an event where the local staff appear to have no interest in running the event per the CCR, much less take suggestions for improvements from people that have experience running a large event. I was busy trying to get things to go more smoothly in the tower, and after the timing shenanigans after the morning TT session, and subsequent meeting, gave up as no progress was going to be made. 

For those of you that have my email, please send me an email with a list of the event-management issues from this event.

For those of you that have come to the decision about returning to NOLA with NASA, I wanted to let you know where I stand -  I will not return unless NASA TX Officials and staff are officiating and running the event. I was appalled and ashamed at the gross disregard for the rules (TT, Race Group, Car Compliance, and otherwise) and complete lack of large event management experience of the NOLA officials.

Looking forward to seeing all of you at Hallett, where I anticipate things will go go much more smoothly. See ya'll in a few weeks.

[/Rant]

sierraromeolima

sierraromeolima

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2013 M3 Spec Miata

Vinnie - congrats!  There will be more NASA (but maybe not at NOLA  :wink: ), but thankfully only one dental school graduation.  And now I'll see you at either dental events or track events.

RKW - thanks, I do not have your email, but maybe the surly kid does.  Sending out the 944s and SSM in the middle of the SM group was interesting.  I felt kind of bad for the 944s.  I was behind them and I think they checked up at the start going into turn 1 because they didn't want to be in the middle of the SMs going through 4 wide.  That allowed a couple of easy passes for me.  :biggrin:   

I was getting 50/50 responses as to if I should have weaved through traffic to get to my correct position on the out lap a la "I was 7th!" or stay where I was.

All things considered it was a fun weekend.  I have a new appreciation for all you guys making the Texas events run as smoothly as they do.   

DAL_MOBILE

DAL_MOBILE

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationDallas
  • Track Vehicle:99 Miata

I agree, the TT & Race Groups certainly could have been handled better.  I’m not defending NASA NOLA, but they are not used to running timed events.  NASA NOLA’s “bread & butter” is HPDE, which doesn’t deal with scoring, tech, grids, etc., etc.,  (Also heard the timing scoring person was fired / quit last week, not an excuse, but if that’s true it certainly didn’t help).

At Saturday’s dinner, Scott Foremaster (NOLA Regional Director) apologized for the problems.  He also said they typical their race group is <20 cars, they had 70+ (and it was their largest event ever).  Again, not defending them and yes, they should CERTAINLY should have asked and / or listened to inputs from NASA Texas.

Overall, NOLA Motorsports Park is an impressive track / facility.  It’s a haul from Texas, but it’s worth it and if you haven’t been, I encourage you to make the trip!  (Doesn’t have to be with NASA, I’m hoping to make the SCCA Majors in Feb 2017).

Toby Linder

SM #40

Dallas

sierraromeolima

sierraromeolima

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Track Vehicle:2013 M3 Spec Miata

I do love the facilities.  I ended up taking my showers at the track as the showers at the track were nicer (and they cleaned them daily) than the one at the Best Western.

Shuka

Shuka

Certified Attacker of Time

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:K24 swap Miata

I saw some carnage in the SM group on the facebooks, glad everyone is OK there.

As far as the organizational stuff, I had a very similar experience when I ran Barber. It was a record turnout event and they just weren't ready for the chaos.

Posted Image

Thundermoose

Thundermoose

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • LocationLeague City
  • Track Vehicle:E46 M3

I love the track.  I hope they are able to learn from this event and do better in the future.  That aside, I see no reason (especially with TWS closing) why NASA TX shouldn't host and run the next event at NOLA.  I think we still have two TBD dates on the calendar.  I'd love to go back this year if you guys host an event.

EricJ

EricJ

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationFlower Mound, TX
  • Track Vehicle:'99 Miata

I had fun. I really enjoy the track. The facilities are very nice and the folks are all very friendly. 

They had some technical glitches, sometimes stuff happens.

I work in IT and if it didn't break every once in while, I wouldn't have a job.

They worked everything out. The grid guys did check the TT grid positions.

We got a lot of track time on Friday. Saturday was hot, better weather on Sunday.

I went there last November when Texas canceled the Nov event, it's worth the 8+ hour drive from DFW.

I'd like Texas to continue to have the cross-over event, but maybe late in the fall when the weather is a little cooler.

'99 Emerald Green Miata - NASA TX TTE 2015 Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

surlynkid

surlynkid

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Track Vehicle:2010 GT3 #920 TT2

^ Ditto this - later when it is cooler, especially with no garages.  The crossover needs to be more than drivers though.  Our NASA TX leader folks need to be heavily involved to help it run smoother. 

Scott Landon

#920 TT2 - Speed Yellow 2010 Porsche GT3

RKW

RKW

Former TT Babysitter

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:McLarenghini Bugatterari

^ Ditto this - later when it is cooler, especially with no garages.  The crossover needs to be more than drivers though.  Our NASA TX leader folks need to be heavily involved to help it run smoother. 

I don't disagree, but that's at the discretion of their region. Put another way, I don't plan on returning unless told specifically that NASA TX staff is running all aspects of the event.

surlynkid

surlynkid

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts
  • Track Vehicle:2010 GT3 #920 TT2

OK.  Just add NOLA to the annual list of tracks and rent it for TX region.  We'll need another with TWS going away. 

Scott Landon

#920 TT2 - Speed Yellow 2010 Porsche GT3

Megahellastylin

Megahellastylin

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Track Vehicle:1999 Miata LS1 Edition

I don't disagree, but that's at the discretion of their region. Put another way, I don't plan on returning unless told specifically that NASA TX staff is running all aspects of the event.

You are so sexy when you are angry.  

1999 Mazda Miata LS1/T56/Trutrac

NASA Super Touring 2, Texas Region

Vinnieb

Vinnieb

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Track Vehicle:'94 Poopra

Bummer to hear of fustercluckiness... I'm planning on running TT with their region next year.  Looks like they had just enough for Hoosier contingency in TTD and by the looks of it I should be competitive with my heap.