Sign in to follow this  
BryanPendleton

NASA Hallett Event

Figured someone needed to start a NASA Hallett thread, so here it is.

I have a question though.  I am looking for vehicle transportation for my Spec Miata to this event.  I normally transport my car via open trailer locally, but I also struggle to stay awake on long distance drives (too boring if you are not driving at at least 9/10ths), so if I can get out of towing my car I would like to.  Anyone in the Houston area have room to stuff a Miata?  Spot in the bed of the truck or something. ;)

I'm in for GTS2, i think.  Having never been there what's the paddock situation like so far as room and spending the night is concerned?  Plenty of pavement and space like TWS or more packed like Cresson?

Not sure when your race is but I recommend CALLING Karen @ Hallett and reserving a covered garage or an RV spot if you need it. If you do not have a reserved spot you will be in the grass. Check out their website and look at the layout.

I'm in for GTS2, i think.  Having never been there what's the paddock situation like so far as room and spending the night is concerned?  Plenty of pavement and space like TWS or more packed like Cresson?

Plenty of room for camping with bathroom facilities / shower but definitely gets a little tight when everyone is unloaded. Pavement is definitely a luxury. As for room, personally I've always stayed in west Tulsa / Sand Springs and just jumped the days super early.

Not sure when your race is but I recommend CALLING Karen @ Hallett and reserving a covered garage or an RV spot if you need it. If you do not have a reserved spot you will be in the grass. Check out their website and look at the layout.

The carports are reserved a year ahead of time.  I got put on wait list 3 months ago.

I am in for TT3.

Great track! Little country club.

But it's in the middle of nowhere. If you're a camper, it's nice I guess. Sand Springs is pretty far away.

Figured someone needed to start a NASA Hallett thread, so here it is.

I have a question though.  I am looking for vehicle transportation for my Spec Miata to this event.  I normally transport my car via open trailer locally, but I also struggle to stay awake on long distance drives (too boring if you are not driving at at least 9/10ths), so if I can get out of towing my car I would like to.  Anyone in the Houston area have room to stuff a Miata?  Spot in the bed of the truck or something. ;)

From Houston, try Kevin Pyles (Spare Parts Racing), he's on the SM TX FB group, could also check with Gas Head Motorwork.

There are closer hotels, look up Hallett on good maps and then click on "nearby hotels"....have not stayed at any of them though, cannot vouch for condition.

Links for sign up:

NASA: https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2342

TNT: https://hallettracing.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=254&code=WQ0MbkGQgS

Hotels I've stayed at:

#1 Hampton Inn Sand Springs, ask for the Hallett rate, free Breakfast

#2 Best Western Sand Springs, not as nice, but I get Best Western reward points.

Looks like we're buying a house, so I won't be making this one. I'm not sure what I'll be making after TWS this year, really.

robert

From Houston, try Kevin Pyles (Spare Parts Racing), he's on the SM TX FB group, could also check with Gas Head Motorwork.

Kevin with Slipstream Performance is full unfortunately. That is who I have servicing my car at the races.

Just get a huge caravan of us all going.  Bring plenty of 93 with you.

Yup.. if you need 93 octane, take it with you.  best they have in the area is 91 with no ethanol.

Paved paddock space is slim, garages and carports are reserved waaay in advance.   lots of grass and it's hilly. (bring wheel chocks!) I always park on the hill behind the grandstands at T4 because I have young kids and there's way less traffic out there.  There is a speaker for the paging system and you can *usually* hear announcements when they call your group to grid.

If you just want a place to crash, there's a small 12-room motel in Mannford about 20 min southeast from the track.  Called "Keystone Lake Motel".  it's about $40/night for a room, but it's not much.  Rooms are tiiiny but clean.  "breakfast" consists of a coffee pot and a candy machine.  Dad and I usually go about a mile east of the motel and there's a gas station that serves a mean biscuit & gravy for a couple bucks.  one biscuit will have you full until lunch.

For food, there's an awesome steakhouse called Freddie's about 10 min east of there.  be prepared for a $35 steak, but it's damn worth it.

Also be careful on traffic if you go through Dallas and take I-35 North.  Between the OK state line and OK City, there are at least 2 construction zones near Turner Falls and Pauls Valley that were down to one lane going north and had loooooooooong traffic backups.  multiple miles of backups in both cases.  There are a couple ways to detour around it via state/county roads, but you'll need to have a navigator watch traffic and give you an appropriate exit before it backs up.

I would personally recommend taking I-45 to Dallas, then I-75 up to MacAlester and then 75/Indian Nation Turnpike to Tulsa.  It's a little bit farther and you have a couple small towns to deal with (like Okmulgee/ OSU-Tech), but it's less of a pain dealing with the construction traffic.  This route is also a bit less hilly, so if you're towing a large trailer life will be easier than taking I35 and I-40.

Just get a huge caravan of us all going.  Bring plenty of 93 with you.

I might want to join a caravan. Details?

I would personally recommend taking I-45 to Dallas, then I-75 up to MacAlester and then 75/Indian Nation Turnpike to Tulsa. 

I do US 377 from Denton all the way up, 2 lane most of the way (1 each direction). It's about 15 minutes longer than I-35, but a much easier drive. A little slower, you slow down for every little town. Really mellow, lots of open farm land, There's a detour around the bridge at Tishomingo that was washed away in the flooding last spring. I've done both I-35 and US-75, both are like driving the freeway to work, except for 4 hours.

2-lane roads are fine when you're in a car.  When you're in a bigass diesel truck with a bigass enclosed trailer, PLUS a wife and 2 small kids?  I try to stick to interstates. ;)

I might want to join a caravan. Details?

No details yet, but Sally will have her own tow vehicle and trailer, and we will head up Thursday as we will do TnT on Friday.  Leave League City at 9am or so.

Yeah. When towing 73' of fun I stay with major roads/interstates. And walmarts, truck stops and rest areas. I'm a legend there LOL.

Yup.. if you need 93 octane, take it with you.  best they have in the area is 91 with no ethanol.

No fuel at the track? No race fuel?

No fuel at the track? No race fuel?

Yes, they have all that, but for pump gas 91 octane is high as they get in the area.

If you want 93, you better bring it in.

Wonderful.

Both NOLA and Hallett are on PDS / TWS weekends. And TWS is closing in July.

This is going to be a tough decision. post-8-0-01539300-1460557321.jpeg

figures every NASA event for past year have been on PDS or WRL weekend for me.

Yes, I was bummed when I saw that.  We are going to NASA both times and then catch TWS with Chin in June.  So I guess this weekend may be my last TWS PDS.