TrackJunkies.Org

GrandSport Start/Finish Line Coordinates?

In case no one knows the official answer, I zoomed in on Google Maps satellite view and right clicked on the start/finish line, clicked 'what's here?' and got the following coordinates:

29.324734, -95.046296

We'll see how accurate Google is...

In case no one knows the official answer, I zoomed in on Google Maps satellite view and right clicked on the start/finish line, clicked 'what's here?' and got the following coordinates:

29.324734, -95.046296

We'll see how accurate Google is...

Richard Zhao must've loaded my AIM.  I have 29.324517 and -95.046250.

Richard Zhao must've loaded my AIM.  I have 29.324517 and -95.046250.

Have you tested those coordinates for accuracy? Richard loaded mine as well but I never got GSS, just MSRH and TWS, and I found that the S/F coordinates weren't quite right, in fact MSRH was quite a ways off. So have since only relied on AIM GPS database which has been laser accurate. I re-checked and GSS still isn't in the AIM database.

I plan on pinning the GSS S/F co-ordinates myself and we will see who is closest.

Have you tested those coordinates for accuracy? Richard loaded mine as well but I never got GSS, just MSRH and TWS, and I found that the S/F coordinates weren't quite right, in fact MSRH was quite a ways off. So have since only relied on AIM GPS database which has been laser accurate. I re-checked and GSS still isn't in the AIM database.

I plan on pinning the GSS S/F co-ordinates myself and we will see who is closest.

I am sure yours are closer.

Both of those locations show to be on the front straightaway of GSS, approx 80ft apart.   According to Google Maps at least.  For a lap timer, either location will be perfectly fine. since it doesn't matter exactly where the S/F line is, as long as it's on the track.

Another point remember is that GPS coordinates come in a variety of datums, based on who and when it was surveyed.  If the GPS coordinates seem very wrong, you could have them in a different format.  You need to make sure you're using coordinates based on what the DAQ wants to see.

Both of those locations show to be on the front straightaway of GSS, approx 80ft apart.   According to Google Maps at least.  For a lap timer, either location will be perfectly fine. since it doesn't matter exactly where the S/F line is, as long as it's on the track.

Another point remember is that GPS coordinates come in a variety of datums, based on who and when it was surveyed.  If the GPS coordinates seem very wrong, you could have them in a different format.  You need to make sure you're using coordinates based on what the DAQ wants to see.

I guess I should have prefaced the topic with why I like to have exact coordinates...

-Having a S/F line in your timer that aligns with the official S/F T&S strip means your timer will show lap times as close as possible to official times, not really an issue at GSS since NASA hasn't been there since 2012 but its good practice in case you ever end up competing at a track you don't have to mess with the coordinates later. Since I've aligned my AIM to MSRH and TWS strips its rarely off by more than .01 sec 

-Having a S/F line in your timer that doesn't align with the painted stripe means your time doesn't flash up when you have the best opportunity to see it. Having to wait until just before you are braking/turning into the kink before the carousel at MSRH or barreling into T1 at TWS isn't cool.

-I'm a bit OCD and getting something this simple wrong is very annoying. 80ft off would be too much for me. I'm sure I'm not alone on this...

I guess I should have prefaced the topic with why I like to have exact coordinates...

-Having a S/F line in your timer that aligns with the official S/F T&S strip means your timer will show lap times as close as possible to official times, not really an issue at GSS since NASA hasn't been there since 2012 but its good practice in case you ever end up competing at a track you don't have to mess with the coordinates later. Since I've aligned my AIM to MSRH and TWS strips its rarely off by more than .01 sec 

-Having a S/F line in your timer that doesn't align with the painted stripe means your time doesn't flash up when you have the best opportunity to see it. Having to wait until just before you are braking/turning into the kink before the carousel at MSRH or barreling into T1 at TWS isn't cool.

-I'm a bit OCD and getting something this simple wrong is very annoying. 80ft off would be too much for me. I'm sure I'm not alone on this...

Hmm..  The S/F line at MSRH going CCW is at a really annoying point.  I'm shifting from 3rd to 4th right at the flag stand as well as trying to look at the flag and locate braking point for turn-in.  I'd prefer to move the S/F back a hundred or so feet to buy me a second.  The way it is now, I can't look at my timer until I'm exiting the carousel.

Hmm..  The S/F line at MSRH going CCW is at a really annoying point.  I'm shifting from 3rd to 4th right at the flag stand as well as trying to look at the flag and locate braking point for turn-in.  I'd prefer to move the S/F back a hundred or so feet to buy me a second.  The way it is now, I can't look at my timer until I'm exiting the carousel.

I haven't had that issue since I aligned my coordinates with the S/F stripe. Before I did I would have to check my time through or after the carousel like you mentioned. I agree though that the S/F straight at MSRH is pretty short compared to most tracks and the S/F stripe could probably be shifted back a bit to truly center it between the corners as the best compromise since they run in both directions.

• 2 weeks later...