rdrngrp

WTB: Track car for HPDE

'when the engine pops' is not much of a sales pitch. :laugh:

LOL true.  I've been trying to kill it for years, but it just won't die.  It's old, but still passes compression within 5psi in all 4 cylinders.

(the key words here are "4 cylinders"... :\ )

Let me know if you would be interested in a 4wd car. I have a very clean evo xi for sale. 420whp, lots of reliability mods done to it so that it can handle track duty. Freshly rebuilt engine and brand new suspension. The only unknown would be the turbo which has unknown miles on it but when I installed it 3k miles ago it had no shaft play. if you are interested PM me and we can talk.

Thanasis

LOL true.  I've been trying to kill it for years, but it just won't die.  It's old, but still passes compression within 5psi in all 4 cylinders.

(the key words here are "4 cylinders"... :\ )

Nothing wrong with 4 cylinders.

Do you have a pic? Is this the one I see at TDE events?

Let me know if you would be interested in a 4wd car. I have a very clean evo xi for sale. 420whp, lots of reliability mods done to it so that it can handle track duty. Freshly rebuilt engine and brand new suspension. The only unknown would be the turbo which has unknown miles on it but when I installed it 3k miles ago it had no shaft play. if you are interested PM me and we can talk.

I'll trade you my Mazdaspeed6, recently aligned and corner balanced. :ph34r:

My thoughts are that you are currently in the red group. At t w s the red group was running laps from 150 to 2 min per lap. If you want a cheap car that runs 2 min laps then you can get a Miata or the 240 s x. If you want to go a little under 2 min then you can get an s2000. If you want to go well under 2 min then you need to get Chris s vette. At some point you are mainly paying to go faster. I think the other important factor is what style car will make you happy. Do you want to focus on r w d, a w d, low h p, high h p. I think the best way to shop is to ask other drivers in the red group what they love about the car they have and how much it costs to maintain them.

I love my s2000 it makes me very happy to run at 7000 rpm in a corner and exit on the way to 9000 rpm. However. I am currently working on a Miata so that k can have a new and different experience

My thoughts are that you are currently in the red group. At t w s the red group was running laps from 150 to 2 min per lap. If you want a cheap car that runs 2 min laps then you can get a Miata or the 240 s x. If you want to go a little under 2 min then you can get an s2000. If you want to go well under 2 min then you need to get Chris s vette. At some point you are mainly paying to go faster. I think the other important factor is what style car will make you happy. Do you want to focus on r w d, a w d, low h p, high h p. I think the best way to shop is to ask other drivers in the red group what they love about the car they have and how much it costs to maintain them.

I love my s2000 it makes me very happy to run at 7000 rpm in a corner and exit on the way to 9000 rpm. However. I am currently working on a Miata so that k can have a new and different experience

I totally agree and appreciate the feedback. MSR Cresson is my TWS. I am not worried about just simply running 120s at Cresson. I am more realistic and consider the car and the weight/HP.

What is a good time for that car. How well did I drive, what can I improve on.

As for the style of car that will make me happy, I really want a DCT. I know, I just lost a lot of respect, but I like the idea, haven't had the chance to try one on track.

I do like the S2000, a Vette, and a BMW. The 350/370Z also look good to me.

A Cayman would be fun, but Porsche is so expensive to run.

Part of my goal here is to spend more money on tracking and less on the car itself.

I just found a 2011 M3 with DCT and 66K on it for 33,600 asking. But I am sure that would be an expensive car to operate.

I'll tell you what tempted me to move from my old S2000 to my C5Z.   As I got faster and faster, I started to become a bit uncomfortable w/ the idea of relying on the OEM roll hoops, and didn't want to tear up the interior w/ an aftermarket roll bar.   I just feel safer in a closed coupe, and it doesn't hurt that the C5Z offers a huge bang for the buck, is  reliable, and easy to maintain.

I'll tell you what tempted me to move from my old S2000 to my C5Z.   As I got faster and faster, I started to become a bit uncomfortable w/ the idea of relying on the OEM roll hoops, and didn't want to tear up the interior w/ an aftermarket roll bar.   I just feel safer in a closed coupe, and it doesn't hurt that the C5Z offers a huge bang for the buck, is  reliable, and easy to maintain.

Aren't clutch replacements a bit involved in the corvettes?

Perhaps you may need to reconsider the dedicated track car approach. Perhaps instead you should change your p car for a b m w Dedicated track cars are expensive.

Eh, they don't have to be. A Miata is dirty cheap to own and operate, assuming you buy a decent one to start with.

robert

Perhaps you may need to reconsider the dedicated track car approach. Perhaps instead you should change your p car for a b m w Dedicated track cars are expensive.

The first idea was to trade in the C7 on a better daily. Then advance the build of the Porsche. But, I realized I enjoy driving the Porsche too much. So, I thought why not get rid of the C7 for a dedicated track car. I think any car that gets tracked is going to be expensive. The Porsche has coilovers, camber plates and sway bars and is lowered and stiff. I want to lower it even more, but at that point it becomes unreasonable for the street. I also want to put in seats and cage. Then it becomes even more unreasonable for the street. Too many options. Good problem to have though.

Aren't clutch replacements a bit involved in the corvettes?

I don't consider clutch replacements to be maint., but it just took writing a check to TTW.   My OEM clutch (and flywheel) was replaced not out of necessity, but b/c I figured might as well while the tranny was out getting rebuilt.    W/ 600 hp rated capacity and 405 hp, plus no hard launches, I expect it will last a very long time.

You should probably add E36 M3 to your list. No DCT, but I can't imagine they are too expensive. They are quick and there is a huge community to fall back on for resources. Just get TTW to take care of everything for ya. 

You should probably add E36 M3 to your list. No DCT, but I can't imagine they are too expensive. They are quick and there is a huge community to fall back on for resources. Just get TTW to take care of everything for ya. 

The E36 is expensive. A DCT is not mandatory at all.

Plan b. Keep the Porsche as you track car and buy a daily driver that you enjoy as a future track toy

That was plan A. But I enjoy the Porsche too much. So I would rather get a dedicated track car and have the Porsche as the backup track car.

I even thought about getting a second Porsche. LOL

I love my e36 M3 as a track car. 

I would think a track prepped E36 M3 could be had for your $15k budget. 

I love me e36 M3 as dedicated track car.  You can definitely find really nice track prepped cars for $15k. 

Consumables are cheap as well (17" tires, brake pads, etc.).  Also, the e36 m3 body panels are the same as other e36's.  So if you have any off track incidents, you can hit the junk yard and pick up a door, hood, trunk, etc. from a 318, 325 for cheap.

Here is an example.  Track prepped for HPDE (roll bar, seats, harnesses, motor and suspension work all done) asking price of $12.5k

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2284297-98-M3-4-5-Track-Car

A buddy of mine does 2:00 min laps at TWS and 1:50 min laps at MSRH in his moderately track prepped e36 M3.

I love my e36 M3 as a track car. 

I love me e36 M3 as dedicated track car.  You can definitely find really nice track prepped cars for $15k. 

Consumables are cheap as well (17" tires, brake pads, etc.).  Also, the e36 m3 body panels are the same as other e36's.  So if you have any off track incidents, you can hit the junk yard and pick up a door, hood, trunk, etc. from a 318, 325 for cheap.

It seems finding one is the trick.