rdrngrp

WTB: Track car for HPDE

I am looking for a dedicated track car. I have a trailer so it does not need to be street legal.

I am in the Red run group with TDE to give you an idea of where I am at.

I am currently tracking a 2004 C4S to give you an idea of the performance I am hoping to find.

Something like a boosted Miata or maybe an E36.

I am open to suggestions, let me know what you got.

Thanks

Craig

That is an interesting idea. I am looking to sell my Vette. I originally was going to get another daily and escalate things with the Porsche. But I really like the Porsche and thought I might be happier selling the Vette and using the funds on a dedicated track car.

I have an '02 Z06 that I've been thinking about selling but haven't listed.    It's street legal but w/ Recaro race buckets, 5 pt. harnesses, stiff bushings, and stiff LG G2 coilovers, it's not the most comfortable ride on the street.    I've "invested" more money than I care to think about addressing the stock Z06's weaknesses on the track:

- oversized alum. radiator w/ integrated oil cooler

- LG mechanical tranny and diff coolers

- front brake ducts

- Wilwood front brake calipers (retain stock rotors for low cost of running)

- Recaro race seats (fixed position)

- Sparco harnesses

- Brey-Krause harness bar

- stainless steel lines 

- rebuilt tranny to much heavier duty specs (Texas Track Works can provide details)

- C6 Z06 shifter modified for ~30% shorter throw

- Monster clutch, ~600 hp capacity IIRC

- lightweight flywheel 

- LG G2 coilovers

- poly suspension bushings

- TTW track-oriented alignment

- tow straps front and rear 

- Optima red top battery (may need to replace due to lack of use, but only bought last year so s/b no problem getting warranty)

- tunnel plate that both stiffens chassis and provides heat shielding to cabin

- K&N air filter which came w/ the car; I haven't done any power mods since it has plenty of power for me, and I want to maintain maximum reliability.

This car handles extremely well, is fast, easy to drive, and consumables are relatively cheap (as long as you're not comparing to a MIata).

It's Electron blue w/ the red/black interior, and the OEM seats that reside in the attic are in great shape.   I bought it w/ 29,xxx miles, and have only put about 5K miles over the couple of years I've owned it.

The primary reason I'm considering selling is that my in-laws live in Austin, and it would be awesome to be able to drive there for the weekend w/ the family in something like an STI or Golf R, do COTA, and haul the family back home in the same car.

Edited by Chris S

That is an interesting idea. I am looking to sell my Vette. I originally was going to get another daily and escalate things with the Porsche. But I really like the Porsche and thought I might be happier selling the Vette and using the funds on a dedicated track car.

Ah ok. I thought you wanted to get rid of your pcar. Good luck with your search sir. 

Price?

I'd need to get around $29-30K to justify selling it.    I know that sounds like a lot for a C5Z, but in retrospect I'd have been way ahead buying something like this instead of a stock one and correcting all the factory weaknesses.      I must have over $40K invested in it, but it's a fantastic track car that never breaks or overheats and is very quick considering I'm running NT-05's.

Chris S.

What would you ask for your Vette?

I was shopping around last week and got an offer of $51k for trade in.

My vette is a 2014 Premiere Edition Coupe, #163/500.

Essentially it is a 3LT Z51 with just about every option sans the dual roof.

It currently has ~19,700 miles on it.

I'd need to get around $29-30K to justify selling it.    I know that sounds like a lot for a C5Z, but in retrospect I'd have been way ahead buying something like this instead of a stock one and correcting all the factory weaknesses.      I must have over $40K invested in it, but it's a fantastic track car that never breaks or overheats and is very quick considering I'm running NT-05's.

A little over my budget, but nice car.

Dave,

Are you going to be at Cresson this weekend?

If you did sell your Z, what would you want for it?

Yep, I'll be there. Ha, no idea what I'd sell the Z for. 

Thanks

Craig

So you want a slow car that will eventually pop its motor and cost tens of thousands to rebuild? ;)

robert

Not really. Is that what I am getting with a Miata or E36? What would you suggest? I have a budget I am trying to stay with in.

I think what Robert is saying is that a normally-aspirated Miata is just about the best track car you can get from a driveability/reliability/cost standpoint.  And don't kid yourself . . . if you get really good in something like that (i.e., Brett or Robert), you'll be doing a lot of passing and people will want you for their endurance racing and instructor teams.

So, do you want to win the $$$ contest?  Or do you want to win the driver-development contest?  Some people have a hangup with Miatas though, so . . . .

Thanks

Craig

I think what Robert is saying is that a normally-aspirated Miata is just about the best track car you can get from a driveability/reliability/cost standpoint.  And don't kid yourself . . . if you get really good in something like that (i.e., Brett or Robert), you'll be doing a lot of passing and people will want you for their endurance racing and instructor teams.

So, do you want to win the $$$ contest?  Or do you want to win the driver-development contest?  Some people have a hangup with Miatas though, so . . . .

The boosted Miata and E36 examples were just that. Thoughts I was having. I have some suspension work in the 4S and really like tracking the car. I also like DDing the car. What I would like is the same power and feel for less. LOL. Sounds ridiculous now that I type it but you get the idea.

I am looking for a dedicated track car. I have a trailer so it does not need to be street legal.

I am in the Red run group with TDE to give you an idea of where I am at.

I am currently tracking a 2004 C4S to give you an idea of the performance I am hoping to find.

Thanks

Craig

Craig - I have no idea what a C4S is, enlighten me there. What is your budget? Looking for something to go race or specifically track days only? I don't have anything to sell but depending on your answer I may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Craig - I have no idea what a C4S is, enlighten me there. What is your budget? Looking for something to go race or specifically track days only? I don't have anything to sell but depending on your answer I may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Porsche 996 C4S. It is ~320HP AWD. I am not looking to race. I just want a good HPDE car. I might time trial or race in the future but right now I am just having fun tracking. The 350/370Z also looks interesting but saw a few threads where it overheats and breaks. The budget is around 15K all in. so I want to spend less than that on the car so I have room to breathe.

Porsche 996 C4S. It is ~320HP AWD. I am not looking to race. I just want a good HPDE car. I might time trial or race in the future but right now I am just having fun tracking. The 350/370Z also looks interesting but saw a few threads where it overheats and breaks. The budget is around 15K all in. so I want to spend less than that on the car so I have room to breathe.

Gotcha, not up on Porsche-speak. Good luck with your search!

Man going from a C4S to a Miata is rough.

Trackjunkies is among the best places where to find a reliable trackcar. Junkies take better care of their car than their personal hygiene (you are all smelling yourselves aren't you?)

You can start from a solid base and from there up. Usual suspects:

S2000

Miata

Boxster S

M3 E46 (some prices I now see on CL are ridiculous, it's a fantastic car!)

350Z

Lancer Evo

Mazdaspeed Miata

Good luck!