MX5#98

TrackJunkies Social Event Online?

Hey, 

So VJ and I were chatting at the track on Saturday about iRacing. And one of the things that I lamented was that there really wasn't an easy way to just gather with friends and drive a track and a car (or set of cars) in a casual and friendly way. Everything is geared around competition. That's when VJ reminded me about the private sessions that you can pay for. And while that irritates me that you have to pay for that, I do think it would be fun to have a regular event where we can all get online and socialize. I'd be willing to pay for it if there was enough interest.

So I'd like to get some thoughts on this. Specifically, I'd like to know the following:

1. Who would be interested? 

2. What nights work best? What times?

3. How would you like to decide which tracks and cars to run? 

4. Public or private?

5. Oval or road?

My initial thoughts are that we pick a night and we can toss out ideas about track / car combinations here. Maybe somebody has a race in a specific car on a specific track that they need to practice? Or maybe there's a common group of cars (GT3 for example) and they are racing at a given track in real life? Or whatever. 

My preference would be that this be something laid back and friendly ... an event to bring TrackJunkies together in the virtual world so that when we meet in real life, there is already some camaraderie. I know we've done something similar before in Gran Turismo. But I believe we have enough people in iRacing now that we could give this a shot.

Thoughts?

"NASA" does this every Tuesday and Thursday (Except week 13, because it's always buggy when iRacing releases new builds). It's mainly NASA TX folks with a few random folks from other regions jumping in, as we leave it open. Last week, we got a ton of folks from Oz that jumped in, and we try to keep the track & car selection interesting.

Tuesdays is always Fixed Miatas, and Thursdays is always something that isn't a Miata.

It is typically geared around a "competition" as there is a 30 minute race at the end, but we leave the chat function open and encourage people to use mics. Normally, it's groups of people chatting and driving. Setups are shared, and jokes are told. The race is taken pseudo seriously, but no one gets anus painus when someone inadvertently bumps them, and we leave "quick repair" on.

I'm already hosting the sessions, and Jander has been doing a good job of letting ya'll know when they are. 

FYI, this is week 13, so no sessions this week.

Hmmm, I like that NASA is doing something like this already. No need to reinvent the wheel. I think I'll start trying to attend some of those and see how I like it. More to come. Buddha and VJ, hope to see you guys out there from time to time.

"NASA" does this every Tuesday and Thursday (Except week 13, because it's always buggy when iRacing releases new builds). It's mainly NASA TX folks with a few random folks from other regions jumping in, as we leave it open. Last week, we got a ton of folks from Oz that jumped in, and we try to keep the track & car selection interesting.

That sounds great.  Just sent the request to join the Facebook group.  I'm still a newbie to iRacing, but definitely will try to attend when I can.  I'll be the guy in the back of the pack getting lapped.

As one who does not utilize faceballs (as the MCM guys like to say) is there a way to join on iRacing ?

Tuesday and Thursday nights at 1930CST, look for NASA SIM Racing: (Cars) (Setup) @ (Track) as the room name.

I'll try to cross-post schedules here, but no guarantees that I remember.

That sounds great.  Just sent the request to join the Facebook group.  I'm still a newbie to iRacing, but definitely will try to attend when I can.  I'll be the guy in the back of the pack getting lapped.

Just search for the group yourself and request to join. They will add you.

Tuesday and Thursday nights at 1930CST, look for NASA SIM Racing: (Cars) (Setup) @ (Track) as the room name.

I'll try to cross-post schedules here, but no guarantees that I remember.

Will do!

Room up right now. NASA SIM Racing: New Cars @ Spa.

Remember, you can't change cars once you select one for the session...

Just search for the group yourself and request to join. They will add you.

Went to League Directory and NASA SIM Racing and nothing was found.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Found it.  Practicing all by myself at Barber.

Found it.  Practicing all by myself at Barber.

Sorry man, had I known you were going to be there, I would have jumped on. I'll try to make it next Tuesday.