Sign in to follow this  
Dave

High Speed Touring - April 16-17 2016

I'm gonna try to take the Z to this event. Any takers? Registration opens March 15th.

About HST = Link

Registration = Link

Who is going? 

dfdub350z +5 (non TJ members)

mx5#98 (considering and mildly excited)

hornetball (thinking)

do you have a link?

I'm already signed up for PDS that weekend, but I've never heard of this event, more info please.

Great track. If I don't have conflicts that weekend, I might consider it.

Thinking about it too.  I'd like to get up there and support Connie.  I missed Miatas @ Hallett last year.  Would be a fun road trip too.

If there was a caravan ... I might get more excited about it.   :)

I just registered. I wonder if the hampton inn is the best place to stay down there?

Hrm. What's a realistic goal for hallett if I can get a clean lap in? I got a 1:29 in @@robertcope's miata with nt01s on, and I see @@DTP525 got a 1:24 on A7 scrubs. Do I split the difference and shoot for a 1:26? I can't find any videos of 350Zs being driven in anger here.  :unknw:

I would shoot for a 1:25. It's a bit cooler this time of the year vs 95° in June and also TTB times are in the 23s now. I haven't been to Hallett since I ran the 1:24 on my V1 setup.

I would shoot for a 1:25. It's a bit cooler this time of the year vs 95° in June and also TTB times are in the 23s now. I haven't been to Hallett since I ran the 1:24 on my V1 setup.

Ha! I've never been just 1 second off your best time (as much as I would like to be or think I should be). Then I will shoot for a 1:25.999!

Weather looks pretty wet for this weekend. I guess I was due for a wet event. Just wish it wasn't at the track I get to once a year.

If you haven't found a hotel yet and want a cheap place to stay, the Keystone Lake Motel is about 20 min SE of the track in Mannford.  it's quite small, but rooms are $40/night.  (and remember that you always get what you pay for!)  I haven't gotten bedbugs from there, but you might come out a little more redneckified.

Good luck with the weather this weekend.  the good thing is you have enough time that the forecast will likely change.  I just got back on Sunday night and the weather up there was AMAZING all weekend.  on Tuesday before the event, they were forecasting 40-60% chance of rain.  So you might get lucky.

Tell Connie I said hi when you get there. :)

If you see an old man in a gray 240SX out there running the COMMA races, tell Dad hi for me too.   He blew a head gasket last weekend testing and is hoping to get his spare engine in before Friday so there's no telling if he'll make it or not.

Well Saturday was rain free. Can't say that about Sunday though. We packed it in, and we were out of town by 8-ish. 

If anyone was wondering how a HST goes, here are my notes.

The annual tech inspection was going on since this was the first event of the year for COMMA and HST. That was a bit of a clusterfuck. They had us queue up and wait to go through tech but they didn't have enough staff to get it done quickly. So they were having to run around the paddock (or haul ass in golf carts) to find racers to tech because (obviously) they come before us HST folks. All in all we waited in line for about 45 minutes to an hour to go through tech inspection. I should be good for a year though if I ever decide to go back.

The first two sessions on Saturday were split into 2 DE groups, novice and advanced. Each group had about 13 cars. The other 3 sessions of the day were combined so about 26 cars on track at one time with all skill levels from complete noob to quasi-instructors like myself. 

We didn't get on track for our first session until about 10ish. It seemed like forever to me. 

The first 2 session went smoothly. The last three sessions went as you'd expect. Lost of passing. I'd say for having all skill levels on track at one time, the less experienced folks did a good job managing traffic. 

I knew session 2 would have to be my money session. I just needed more time to learn the track in my Z. It was very different than the miatas I have driven there previously. I really think that slowed down my learning because I had to unlearn all my miata break and gas points. Also changing to a new pad compound was dumb. 

Also to note, they allow passing with no point in the straights. I actually think it kinda worked out because the noobs were too busy trying not to kill themselves to remember to point, and they were easy to get around.

I might of forgotten some stuff, but that's what my old tired brain can remember right now.

All six of us got a big-ole carport. It worked out well.

571431da33993_crew.jpg

If you see an old man in a gray 240SX out there running the COMMA races, tell Dad hi for me too.   He blew a head gasket last weekend testing and is hoping to get his spare engine in before Friday so there's no telling if he'll make it or not.

I think I saw this out there. It looked like he broke an upper control arm or something. The right front had about -30 degrees of camber, and it looked like it was wobbling all over the place on the straights. He did a few laps like that. I'm surprised he could keep going. 

I was in the black Mustang. You went around me at least once later in the day once they combined the groups. It was my first time at Hallett so hopefully I wasn't too much of an obstruction.  I was watching this thread before the event and intended to come say hello but never got around to it. 

I know no one is paying attention to this thread, so here is my second session.

I know no one is paying attention to this thread, so here is my second session.

1. Too fast on the throttle pickup. fairly consistent that you're stabbing the gas as corner exit and it's causing the back end to step out and you instantly start fighting the wheel like a Beavis & Butthead slapfight.

2.  a bit early on corner entry into 1.  I watched about 3 laps and that was fairly consistent.

3.  transition between 4 and 5 was a bit fast on the wheel.  slow down your input on the wheel just a touch and the car will transition smoother.  your steering inputs are too fast for the car to transfer body weight, so you go from a slide in one direction to a slide in the other instead of transferring weight.   

That affects your exit speed out of 5 to 6.  not a ton of time, but I'd say there's a 1/2 second there at least.

I think I saw this out there. It looked like he broke an upper control arm or something. The right front had about -30 degrees of camber, and it looked like it was wobbling all over the place on the straights. He did a few laps like that. I'm surprised he could keep going. 

LOL yeah, poor old man.. he blew an engine last weekend on the SCCA test day.   got the engine swapped and running on Friday, then lost the nut on the top of his strut mount saturday morning.  He didn't know it was that bad until he pulled in, and the corner workers never said anything..  Said it didn't handle great, but he just thought it was oil on his tires from losing his engine the week before.

If there was ever a need for an immediate meatball, it's seeing a car with a strut coming apart and continuing to make laps..

1. Too fast on the throttle pickup. fairly consistent that you're stabbing the gas as corner exit and it's causing the back end to step out and you instantly start fighting the wheel like a Beavis & Butthead slapfight.

2.  a bit early on corner entry into 1.  I watched about 3 laps and that was fairly consistent.

3.  transition between 4 and 5 was a bit fast on the wheel.  slow down your input on the wheel just a touch and the car will transition smoother.  your steering inputs are too fast for the car to transfer body weight, so you go from a slide in one direction to a slide in the other instead of transferring weight.   

That affects your exit speed out of 5 to 6.  not a ton of time, but I'd say there's a 1/2 second there at least.

I got better by the end of the day. I completely agree with the laps you saw. They get a little better by the end of this session if you keep watching, but not great. In the first few laps I was using miata throttle application reference points, which obviously don't work in the Z.

Also, the best laps to evaluate from this session are the last 2 laps.

LOL yeah, poor old man.. he blew an engine last weekend on the SCCA test day.   got the engine swapped and running on Friday, then lost the nut on the top of his strut mount saturday morning.  He didn't know it was that bad until he pulled in, and the corner workers never said anything..  Said it didn't handle great, but he just thought it was oil on his tires from losing his engine the week before.

If there was ever a need for an immediate meatball, it's seeing a car with a strut coming apart and continuing to make laps..

That's crazy the corner workers never saw it. The car looked broken for a couple laps. They are usually pretty good about seeing stuff like that. Glad it didn't completely break off and send him into a wall. That's what I was expecting. 

I was in the black Mustang. You went around me at least once later in the day once they combined the groups. It was my first time at Hallett so hopefully I wasn't too much of an obstruction.  I was watching this thread before the event and intended to come say hello but never got around to it. 

You did great out there. You handled it great. I hope I didn't fluster you by running up on you. I have some video of your car from one of the combined sessions. Also, welcome to the forum!