Shuka

Shuka's TT3/ST3 K24 Miata Build

I'm dying to know - why were you considering selling it? After following your progress on this build, it seems like you've finally arrived at a truly reliable, well-sorted car. And it's fast and mean to boot. Seems like such a great track weapon now.

I originally built the car planning on TT4/ST4, and that's where the action seems to be going - ST3 was forced by the non-BTM subframe - and it not only keeps me out of ST4, but penalizes me me with "non-production" mod factor so I'm at a power/weight disadvantage to purpose built ST3 production cars. 

I assume there's no way to go backwards with the K24 and use factory subframe?

Just how much are you allowed to modify a BTM subframe before it's no longer "BTM" ?   i.e. relocate engine mounts, cut and shut for clearance, etc. but still keep the same suspension geometry. ??

I assume there's no way to go backwards with the K24 and use factory subframe?

Just how much are you allowed to modify a BTM subframe before it's no longer "BTM" ?   i.e. relocate engine mounts, cut and shut for clearance, etc. but still keep the same suspension geometry. ??

You can't modify the subframe itself in any way. Swaps like the Ecotec just bolt the motor to the OEM subframe via custom motor mount brackets. The K series is too tall - the factory oil pump pickup intersects with the steering rack. There's theory you could do it by tilting the engine up and going with a custom dry sump pan and pump and stuff, but that's a big maybe. Nobody has done it yet and run it in competition. Basically by forcing stock subframe and unmodified transmission tunnel, NASA is limiting your options for motor swaps.

6AN bungs welded in place of the OEM steel tubing. I disassembled everything, including the electrical bulkhead connector, to keep things from melting. I could have probably chosen more suitable bungs, but these are Amazon specials.

k24miata694.jpg

Reassembled with AN. I need to add some support, ties, and abrasion covers.

k24miata697.jpg

The tee on the outlet goes to an Aeroquip fitting (same as used for fuel test ports on some Spec Miatas) that I mounted next to the gas cap.

k24miata695.jpg

The thing below the fitting is a magnet from a computer hard drive. It holds the gas door closed.

k24miata696.jpg

The fitting will allow me to drain the tank between races to get accurate fuel levels, as well as empty it for dry weight and corner balancing.

Good idea on the Aeroquip fitting.   my current "fuel test port" setup is simply a barbed hose fitting with an NPT plug in the end.   not very pretty, but at least it's secure.  I need to replace with something like what you've got shown.  Looks like Jiffy-tite offer a line of fuel/carb fittings that seal when disconnected as well..  

Sucks to hear about being punted completely not your fault, and I'd have severe words with that driver. any time I've touched someone's car, I've offered to pay for the parts and help with repairs (or even do them myself) as an apology. As Will said, the offending drivers were penalized for this, so hopefully it won't happen again. that still doesn't help you fix your car today, as it sounds the offender didn't offer anything.

I found this gem, I guess someone didn't learn.

I thought it was the same car, wasn't sure...

Was anything actually done about the guy this time? (i.e. sounds like he needs to lose his license..)

I found this gem, I guess someone didn't learn.

Am I missing a URL?

No, it's the Quote from Matt93SE on Jan 2017 concerning the same guy who punted Nix at MSRH was the same guy who punted Edison. Apparently there was no improvement or consequence to dissuade such behavior. IIRC, he punted Nix on a similar (but not same) move trying to take the inside in a braking zone.

FOR SALE

$20,000

Official ad to follow, but if anyone wants to jump on this, drop me a line.

I'm hoping there's someone out there waiting for a race prepped K-swap to pop up. :)

Just because ya'll will ask eventually:

Why?

The car is insanely fun, but ST3 doesn't draw the participation I had hoped. I want to go wheel to wheel in a more robust class.

What next?

Not 100% sure. Maybe take a break for a while. Maybe SM or CMC.

Bummer, I am planning to run in ST3 next year. 

I'm hoping there's someone out there waiting for a race prepped K-swap to pop up. :)

Just because ya'll will ask eventually:

Why?

The car is insanely fun, but ST3 doesn't draw the participation I had hoped. I want to go wheel to wheel in a more robust class.

What next?

Not 100% sure. Maybe take a break for a while. Maybe SM or CMC.

Part out!

Still deciding what to do with this tub, but most of the fun stuff is sold. 

Last picture of the race car. :( It's been a lot of fun.

k24miata698.jpg

Front end off, draining fluids.

k24miata699.jpg

k24miata700.jpg

k24miata701.jpg

k24miata702.jpg

k24miata703.jpg

k24miata704.jpg

Still deciding what to do with this tub, but most of the fun stuff is sold. 

This is the part where you would say "ECOTEC"

This is the part where you would say "ECOTEC"

That's for your WRL car! I don't know if I'm going to be doing an engine swap again any time soon, just for all the spares and tools I have to bring.

That's for your WRL car! I don't know if I'm going to be doing an engine swap again any time soon, just for all the spares and tools I have to bring.

Going to the parts store was always fun for projects like that..

about item 8 on the list, the guy at the counter asks if you run a shop because you're buying parts for 7 different cars so far.....