Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

E92 M3 Time Trial build

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

dizzy8085

dizzy8085

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2012 mx5
Congrats on the 1:38. That's moving
2012 mx5 track rat

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Ha ha, that's awesome. Taking FULL advantage of the rules.

How was the visibility? 

Not an issue at all, the A pillar is more intrusive than the wing/uprights.  I'll post some helmet camera footage at some point.

Link to where it was posted elsewhere? I want to read the scuttlebutt, if any.

MotoIQ on Instagram, Redline360, BimmerWorld,and Track Midwest on Facebook.

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Congrats on the 1:38. That's moving

Thanks, I missed my chance at a 1:37 sadly.

Def

Def

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:S13

Can you run a splitter with the Fwing? Or wing only up there?

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Can you run a splitter with the Fwing? Or wing only up there?

Yes, and I will.  I've received some e-criticism for not having a splitter and how I must be an absolute idiot for not having one, among other things.  This was rolled on the trailer Thursday as I was "finishing" it, aero development isn't done for this car, but sadly I have to sometimes take a break from my own car to work on customer cars.

PoBoyR6

PoBoyR6

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:CRG S4

Yes, and I will.  I've received some e-criticism for not having a splitter and how I must be an absolute idiot for not having one, among other things.  This was rolled on the trailer Thursday as I was "finishing" it, aero development isn't done for this car, but sadly I have to sometimes take a break from my own car to work on customer cars.

Haters gonna hate. Just be sure to get all the radical aero over and done with this year before there is a chance for rule changes. Greg G hates BMWs...and Vettes...and Miatas...and Huffys...trikes are good to go though.

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2001 S2000, 1992 NSX

Haters gonna hate. Just be sure to get all the radical aero over and done with this year before there is a chance for rule changes. Greg G hates BMWs...and Vettes...and Miatas...and Huffys...trikes are good to go though.

We were told at the TT meeting that Greg already plans to ban this in 2017, haha.

robert

Robert B. Cope

#53 - 2003 Jetta (red)
#53 - 1999 Miata (silver) aka GONK: "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."
#94 - 2001 S2000 (red) aka Crisis

#XX - 1992 NSX (red)

max_pwr

max_pwr

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:BMW

Now u just need to goto nationals and prove the haters wrong...figure a future ban will be in place.

LibertyMKIII

LibertyMKIII

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationNorth Dallas Area
  • Track Vehicle:MR2 SPyder
I am impressed by this build.
Very specific goal and car decision. Executed a solid plan and got winning reaults.
Great job!

XLR8

XLR8

Astronaut

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationDallas
  • Track Vehicle:Spec E46

I wanna see video man...get on it.  Guaranteed rule change material but nonetheless loved very effective.

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

I wanna see video man...get on it.  Guaranteed rule change material but nonetheless loved very effective.

http://youtu.be/oxPXZhZ598M

HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Locationsan antonio
  • Track Vehicle:2010 Evo X

I find it rather totalitarian of NASA to ban a front wing simply because they don’t like it.  I hate when rules are made that specifically stifle innovation. It pisses me off to no end. Here I am putting together a car to compete against you…. Yet I find myself wanting to defend the legality of your front wing. Hah!!! J

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

I haven't been very good about updating this thread, not much work has been done to the car in the past few months other than the roll bar.  I'm not super happy with the results from the last two events as I feel the car could/should be faster, once we have time we'll change some things up.  Here's some video from the last two events.

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Here's a video from a few months back at Hallett where we lowered the TT3 lap record by about 1.3 seconds to a 1:20.478.  With the summer heat coming to an end we're doing some long put off modifications to get the car ready for the next couple of events.

Greg S

Greg S

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

I've been bad about updating this thread, but here's a quick summary.  Back in late September 2016 we traveled from Texas to Watkins Glen International in New York to compete in the NASA Eastern States Championship.  We signed up for the Thursday test day, as soon as I go out onto the track the car develops a misfire, I stay out a couple laps and determine it gets better with heat.  I pull the car in and we swap all the plugs and put the original coils back in the car, after that the car ran like a top the rest of the weekend, only making small damper changes.  We put on a set of sticker A7's for the first timed session on Saturday and set the fastest time TT3 time and TT3 lap record at a 2:00.941.  On the last session on Sunday we unbolted the front wing and ran a 2:01.0xx, only a few hundredths off our time with the wing and on 3-4th HC tires and a compromised entry into the bus stop.  Had we gone out on stickers Sunday morning without the front wing I feel we would've gone faster.  

WGI TT3 championship winning lap:

Fast lap without the front wing:

Then in October we competed at TWS again and took home the win both days running on old tires.

Last weekend we competed at the NASA season opener at MSR Houston, we were able to lower the track record that we set last year by approximately one second to a 1:37.582 on 4 HC scrub tires.
MSR houston CW TT3 record:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xzub6YC3P8

For now our focus has shifted to an E46 non-M sedan we're building for GTS2 that we're planning on bringing to the East Coast Championships at Sebring this year.  If anyone is interested in renting the TT3 E92 for the weekend at any Texas events or possibly Sebring NASA nationals send me a note.  I would also consider selling the car for the right price.

HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Locationsan antonio
  • Track Vehicle:2010 Evo X

So the front wing was costing you too much in drag?  Have you tried other tracks with the front wing off and such?