Spiderxvpbiking

TWS Setup / Best Lap TImes CW/CCW

Is this thread for miatas and 4cyl cars only or can the big bore cars play too?! ;)

only 4cyl lap I have ever turned was in the Lemons Neon for some tire heat cycling and testing a fuel pump....2:18 and never squeeled the direzza's....

Misty's camaro with no brakes and being stuffed in a driver's seat 3 sizes too small and a trans that wouldn't shift and clutch that didn't release 1:56 someting in TTS CW...

My mustang has been 52.2 CCW on 2 year old scuffed hoosiers and 50.x's CW on some fresh hoosiers with some time left on the table. If I can find the 30hp I'm missing for ST2 and some spring rate changes in the front and less rear wing I hope to find some 48's CW and 50's CCW...Wish me luck!

I'll also suggest the shortcut through T4 CCW for those looking for that 1/10th to get them under 2.00.00...IT WORKS!!!

Is this thread for miatas and 4cyl cars only or can the big bore cars play too?! ;)

only 4cyl lap I have ever turned was in the Lemons Neon for some tire heat cycling and testing a fuel pump....2:18 and never squeeled the direzza's....

Misty's camaro with no brakes and being stuffed in a driver's seat 3 sizes too small and a trans that wouldn't shift and clutch that didn't release 1:56 someting in TTS CW...

My mustang has been 52.2 CCW on 2 year old scuffed hoosiers and 50.x's CW on some fresh hoosiers with some time left on the table. If I can find the 30hp I'm missing for ST2 and some spring rate changes in the front and less rear wing I hope to find some 48's CW and 50's CCW...Wish me luck!

I'll also suggest the shortcut through T4 CCW for those looking for that 1/10th to get them under 2.00.00...IT WORKS!!!

The camaro (was) really good at dodging trees at turn 6 - it felt like a scene out of the matrix.

Finally got a chance to pull some data down. Here is a little something from a 2:00.9 lap, clockwise:

tws1.jpg

Looks like I've maximized the run off of the banked straight with some good trailbraking, and the layout of the course combined with the relative strengths of my car (mechanical grip) have let me get on the gas VERY early into most turns with good apex speed (and I'm regularly pulling over 1.25g at apex).

Being a puss in 7 probably cost me a tenth or two (there's absolutely no reason for me to ease off the gas at apex), and I probably should have trailbraked into 6, gaining a tenth or so on the straight, but the surface there makes it hard to do.

Also need to just keep my foot planted coming onto the straight - there are a few places where I'm feathering and that's multiplying all the way down the straight, to ill effect.

On the whole though, I think it's a pretty strong lap, but I'm pretty sure I can bring more apex speed and a higher exit speed next time out.

Here's the friction circle from the lap as well:

tws2.jpg

Ok, I'll bite -- do tell about that :lol:

If your right side front tire isn't in the dirt, inside the apex curbing, you aren't getting aggressive enough...just have to be careful not to upset the car when the right rear comes over the leading edge of the curb. It's still a late turn in but more aggressive and immediately on the power. Low hanging bits and exhaust be damned but you can get on the power SO DAMN EARLY you are flying when you reach turn 5 and 6 which is actually just one turn if done right even with a brake application and downshift, the wheel should not move on the heavy car line. There is a great defensive RACE line through 5 but it's dangerous exiting 6 cause someone could get a run on you at exit unless you check up at the apex and kill their momentum. Can't share ALL my secrets though!

Sad I won't be able to put some time into our "the line" videos for a while at TWS. I do plan on doing them at Houston and H2R. If we get a cresson and eagle's canyon date, I will work on those too. Will be done on the GoPro HD and hope to use it in the classroom this year or next. What I would like to put together is a 1 lap drive/talk through, then an at pace lap with no talking to show application. The problem is finding time to do this with no traffic or in a car that you can actually hear the driver! ;)

Stay tuned!

The purpose of this post is to share setup tips and best lap times (documented by ) at TWS going CW/CCW in the last couple of months. This is not a racing post, but post to share safe best practices. Post away ;D

I updated my best laptime to 1:56.8 based on this weekend NASA Time Trial TTB result.

The improvement comes from adjusting the rebounds, and following a better driver with similar car (E46 M3) in front of me.

I call this is realtime traq-mate feedback :)

This is best practices...now I understand why a lot of Miata people like to follow very close to each other.

Track name: TWS CCW

Lap time: 2:02.1

Vehicle: Boss 302

Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3875

Estimated wheel horsepower: 400

Tire size and model: 255/285 Pirelli street tires

Estimated ambient temperature: 75

Notes: Head wind was 30+ most of the day, killing 1-2 seconds. Car is bone stock off the showroom on temp tags

Track name: TWS CCW

Lap time: 2:02.1

Vehicle: Boss 302

Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3875

Estimated wheel horsepower: 400

Tire size and model: 255/285 Pirelli street tires

Estimated ambient temperature: 75

Notes: Head wind was 30+ most of the day, killing 1-2 seconds. Car is bone stock off the showroom on temp tags

So...how's the Boss?

Track name: Texas World Speedway (clockwise 2.9 mile)

Track location: College Station, TX

Lap time: 2:04.4

Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: ~2485 with driver and fuel

Estimated wheel horsepower: Unknown, stock '99 with intake, header, exhaust.

Tire size and model: 205/50/15 Nitto NT01 tires on Team Dynamics 15x7 wheels

Estimated ambient temperature: 85-90°

Notes: First weekend on R-comps.

So...how's the Boss?

It was good. I felt like I could have had a 2:00 flat by Sunday but the wind was killer. It also needs more front camber and some real track tires. There is a lot of potential in the car once I get used to it. I only had 800 miles on it once I rolled into TWS. After TWS and Autox this weekend those front tires are about toast with 1500 miles on it now :)

Track name: Texas World Speedway (clockwise 2.9 mile)

Track location: College Station, TX

Lap time: 2:04.4

Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: ~2485 with driver and fuel

Estimated wheel horsepower: Unknown, stock '99 with intake, header, exhaust.

Tire size and model: 205/50/15 Nitto NT01 tires on Team Dynamics 15x7 wheels

Estimated ambient temperature: 85-90°

Notes: First weekend on R-comps.

edit: NVM, I see you ran clockwise.

This is the session I strive for (sequence of lap times):

Nice. Those are definitely fun. I remember a session a while back where I had a series of very clean laps, every one was faster than the last. It felt awesome.

Been working on coming out swinging, usually I take too long to "warm up":

=====

2:06.745

2:05.565

2:05.458

2:05.525

2:07.856

2:07.242

2:05.255

2:05.080

2:05.888

2:05.147

3:03.153

=====

robert

Awesome, fast, consistent. Remember what i said about your discipline? This one's for you, Robert:

Nice memories... think I've come a long ways since then :)

robert

here's mine so far:

1.8l pauter/wiseco (not needed @ power level)

gt2854 on old begi/fm protoype kit

3" custom exh. dynomax race muffller

link ecu

exedy lightweight flywheel

act xt pp/street disc

4.10 torsen swap

d2 rs coilovers (9k/6k)

rb solid frt. sway/no rear

strut tower bar lol

oem calipers/rotors (non sport)

carbotech xp10/8 pads

russell steel braided lines

ate super blue

camber: -2.25 frt / -2.5 rear

caster: +4.0

toe: 0* front and rear

fiberglass drop vent/headlight delete hood

birch splitter

ebay wing w/ custom alum. mounts

diy alum. diffuser

carbon/kevlar hardtop (no glass)

custom roll bar (chucky bobby fab)

ultrashield seat

sparco monza wheel

gutted doors

15x9 tr motorsports

225/45/15 NT-01's

2400lbs. w/ fat driver

204whp @ 9psi, 215whp @ 10psi

2:00.08 (cw) aug. nasa 103* hot!

2:01.0 (ccw)

2:00.1 (ccw) 30-40mph headwind ***EDIT***

Update: new time for cw 1:57.9.

cool thing was this was a relatively easy 1:57. first session my tires psi. was low but figured i would take it easy and re-learn the course since i hadn't run cw since aug. last year. other issue was that in corpus (sea level) i had the boost set @ 12 psi. but at tws it was going to 14psi and i didn't want to risk it in that first session so i just gave it enough throttle to keep it at 10psi and figured i'd just work on my lines. surprisingly that session i ran a 1:28.5 but i never went and checked. i assumed because it was listed as tt practice they might not even show lap times or if they did i was in the 2:02's or higher with the boost and tire psi issues. before the 2nd session i made a small adjustment to my shocks, got the tire psi right and lowered the boost. well, now the car was hooked up, felt great, way more grip than last session and better balance (went up 2 clicks frt., down 1 in the rear) bad thing was i lowered the boost too much to 10psi. i knew i should tested it out down the street first. fail. oh well, i figured i'll just turn the boost up for the next session and really go for it. this session since the handling was right, i could atleast work on some corners and once i had a tta vette in my sights i started trying to catch him in the braking zones and tight corners which worked! awesome, but i still didn't feel i pushed as hard as i could have, so i'm hoping a 1:56 is possible as is. i never got to try 12 psi as the 3rd session (after lunch) brought immense heat, less traction on track, and i only made 1 lap before an electrical gremlin ended my day. luckily it was an easy fix (IAT sensor wire) but the heat was too much so i called it a day!

oh yeah, only difference in setup between this time and last year is: both the car and i lost a few lbs. comp. weight should be about 2,350lbs w/half tank gas. apocalypse frt. bumper with canards, moved rear wing mounts down and back and added gurney flap to wing. also noticed in my notes that last year i ran 23f/16r shock settings (clicks from full soft) this year ran 20f/14r which could have added some mechanical grip, not counting what i lost in tire grip. I'm on the same tires i first used at tws in april of last year! seems like performance would have had to fall off atleast a little since then. i drove to 3-4 track events, in-town street miles, plus 30-40 heat cycles (20 min sessions) during all the track days since then. next time i'm going to have the tires shaved. i'm barely getting to just the 2 lines showing on the tire now.

Dang it Spoolin' you are catching my 1:57.5 albeit in the other direction. I need to step it up.

Turbo Miata versus V8 Miata... The Epic Battle 8)

Sean Farrah set a 1:52.9 in his 300ZX at this last event. He is in my TT class (TTS). I hate that guy.

Dang it Spoolin' you are catching my 1:57.5 albeit in the other direction. I need to step it up.

Turbo Miata versus V8 Miata... The Epic Battle 8)

Sean Farrah set a 1:52.9 in his 300ZX at this last event. He is in my TT class (TTS). I hate that guy.

yeah gettin' there. i'm sure as is, but with 12-13psi i could get into the 1:56's. the 1:57.8 i ran last weekend was really easy. Add cooler temps., fresher tires, and i'm looking at 1:55's. but this is all going CW. i think CCW is still a second or so slower on the same day.

yeah, sean's car is ridiculous. massive tires, awesome aero, good power, great driver. he should be our target. wait.. you talkin' about the 350z or his old 300zx? the 300zx is big power, less refined.

This morning for the Ride and Drive, I took the Jetta TDI. I got there early and was allowed to run a few laps. I didn't bother with tire pressures, but went out anyway and turned a few.

The car is a stock TDI Cup Street Edition. I currently have a fresh set of Falken Azenis tires on the car.

I was able to run a 2:13.58. I think if I were to optimize the tire pressures, I'd be able to pull an extra second out of that. My virtual best was 2:13.50 so I don't think there's much room for improvement without getting the tire pressures set. Average speed was 75.4 and my max was 107.3. When the ambient temperature is about 80, the car is pretty quick.

Not bad for a Diesel. grin.gif

Edited by savowood