Spiderxvpbiking

TWS Setup / Best Lap TImes CW/CCW

Interesting comparing the CCW vs CW times in this thread... I was under the impression CW was ~2s faster than CCW from people I have talked to.

Is it simply a case of having more experience running CCW? Or do you guys actually feel the track is faster CCW?

Great question, James. In my experience CW is a little faster. The time I posted the 2:02.3 CW was when they had the apex of T2 coned off forcing you wide. I don't have data to back it up, but feel I could have been in the high 2:01 based on what I had to give up there.

Is it simply a case of having more experience running CCW? Or do you guys actually feel the track is faster CCW?

I've always heard it is faster CW, and I believe that. For me, the learning curve has always just ended up with me being more confident when end up running CCW than the last time I ran CW, if that makes sense. That is, I suspect the next time I'm out CW, I will be faster than the last time I was out CCW. And so on, adjusting for weather and whatnot, of course. Some day, this pattern will probably flatten out, but not any time soon, I hope!

robert

Interesting question. for me, at this point, I simply know CCW much, much better. I have probably 25 laps TOTAL clockwise, and was easily dropping a second every couple laps as I figured out the grip and track characteristics, whereas CCW it would just be a matter of adapting a "new" car to some lines that I know fairly well.

If one assumes that the banked straight and the lead in is the primary difference, I guess I would agree that CW could be faster as you get a much better run to the straight than you do CW. OTOH, the runOUT CCW is much faster than the runout going CW. Probably somebody far better at the maths than I could figure it out for certain.

nothing to figure out really. talk to any experienced nasa or scca racer that has run both directions many times over the past few years, and he'll say that cw is 1-2 sec. faster depending on type of car. (weight/power,etc..)

shaken baken: most of the peeps posting can be found in the "tws video" thread. get tired of posting the same vids over and over. if you don't want to believe... don't

laptimes without an attached traqmate or g2x date file, or video, or link to race results are "big fish" stories..

The fastest I've been in my E90 is 1:58ish (I counted the seconds) - sweet setup:

Not everyone has a grand to drop on a datalogger, the stop watch is close enough down to the second. The stopwatch won't get them a tire or a trophy but it's good enough for my congratulations.

Will you accept Android Trackmaster times? The California Miata crew found it's accurate down to .02 compared to an AMB.

nothing to figure out really. talk to any experienced nasa or scca racer that has run both directions many times over the past few years, and he'll say that cw is 1-2 sec. faster depending on type of car. (weight/power,etc..)

shaken baken: most of the peeps posting can be found in the "tws video" thread. get tired of posting the same vids over and over. if you don't want to believe... don't

Video is good in raw format, but anything uploaded to youtube or most that have been edited changed formats and undergo frame compression.

As far as CW vs CCW, I think it has more to do with car that makes the difference. CCW rewards those that have good power bands to pull out of the slower corners T3, T10, T13-15. CW for cars that have power and the gearing to use it T3 -front straight, T10 - T6. And is more favorable to momentum. Handling has to complement of course.

Not everyone has a grand to drop on a datalogger, the stop watch is close enough down to the second. The stopwatch won't get them a tire or a trophy but it's good enough for my congratulations.

Will you accept Android Trackmaster times? The California Miata crew found it's accurate down to .02 compared to an AMB.

Well said. I'm getting tired of this 'bickering' about accuracy and honesty. I'm sure there are some folks who lie, but I think most of us are being as honest as we can be based on the tools we have to take measurements with. It isn't like this is for fame or fortune, if you say you ran it, I have no reason to argue. If you're lying, you're only hurting yourself. If you tell too big of a tale, that's fine with me, laughter helps the soul.

robert

FWIW, here's TrackMaster data from my best session last time out. Lap six is the 2:05.9 lap. I'm not posting this to prove anything, but I thought the data might be of interest. Note that this is with the internal GPS, not my external unit as it was misbehaving (I think maybe Justin and I were causing bluetooth conflicts with eachother's setups).

robert

Dec1220101047AM20101214_131823.xls

I posted a 1:32 in the wet going CCW ;D

I thought that was you back there, but I couldn't see for all the spray. Next time, feel free to bump draft with me a bit, we could have made 1:30 at least.

robert

I thought that was you back there, but I couldn't see for all the spray. Next time, feel free to bump draft with me a bit, we could have made 1:30 at least.

robert

I was only behind you because my team didn't change out my slicks and I had my boost turned down to 14psi. Otherwise, I would have been in the low 1:26's :P

Well said. I'm getting tired of this 'bickering' about accuracy and honesty. I'm sure there are some folks who lie, but I think most of us are being as honest as we can be based on the tools we have to take measurements with. It isn't like this is for fame or fortune, if you say you ran it, I have no reason to argue. If you're lying, you're only hurting yourself. If you tell too big of a tale, that's fine with me, laughter helps the soul.

robert

I was just poking in the original post - some people are a tad sensitive it seems. Talking about lap times helps no-one unless we are teaching each other how to go faster. Video and data are to really helpful tools, but not the only tools.

I was just poking in the original post - some people are a tad sensitive it seems. Talking about lap times helps no-one unless we are teaching each other how to go faster. Video and data are to really helpful tools, but not the only tools.

I agree. My posted best lap time is using another person's data. And that (2:03) was in a car I had driven for 2 years. When I bought the 2010 STi SE I literally dropped to 2:08's, even though I supposedly "knew" how STi's drive. I think without real data - and people being honest - it's pointless to post times. Hell, my best times are ~2 secs more than half the people posting here, yet I'm an instructor!

Well said!! Ride alongs are helpful tools as well.

shakenbacon: you brought up the "didn't happen without documentation" aspect to the thread. i didn't think there was any bickering going on about really. we posted what was asked for: setup/laptime. i have amb verification of my laps and all the guys from TxMC during nasa events. not gonna go to that trouble for ya' just letting you know.

hustler: the texas crew has trackmaster vs amb verification. or do you not believe anything until cali. crew says so? where's your pride in the republic? i'm not from texas but i got here fast i could. lol...

hustler: the texas crew has trackmaster vs amb verification. or do you not believe anything until cali. crew says so? where's your pride in the republic? i'm not from texas but i got here fast i could. lol...

Someone told me that over the phone, I've never seen anyone with Trackmaster here. I'm about to buy an Android phone just to run Trackmaster.

Someone told me that over the phone, I've never seen anyone with Trackmaster here. I'm about to buy an Android phone just to run Trackmaster.

Justin and I both run TrackMaster! Not sure what your definition of 'here' is, though.

robert