Sign in to follow this  
MX5#98

Track Guide?

Anyone here have a lot of seat time at Hallett that might want to write a few tips for us greenhorns? I am including a track map for your convenience.   :)

v3CCW%20HallettTRACK%20MAP%20copy-M.jpg

I posted a video somewhere. That's probably as good as anything for learning the track. The name probably gives it away, but The Bitch is the most dangerous point of the track. As usual, make sure to look at exits as you tour the track the first few laps. There are some spots where you'll damage things if you go off.

robert

I posted a video somewhere. That's probably as good as anything for learning the track. The name probably gives it away, but The Bitch is the most dangerous point of the track. As usual, make sure to look at exits as you tour the track the first few laps. There are some spots where you'll damage things if you go off.

robert

Here is your video: 

Looks like you really try to late apex Turn 4 to set yourself up on the right hand side for Turn 5.

"Official" notes from Hallett's website and a video.

http://hallettracing.com/track/track-video-tour/

My notes:

front straight.   go fast.
turn 1.  straight braking into the turn- slow to about 65-70.   Typical late apex turn.if you turn in too early, you'll go off the outside and it's a rough ride even though the grass looks smooth.  If you go off, DO NOT try to save it and wind up hooking back to the inside.  the inside after T1 is extremely rough and includes a drainage grate.  you can do some suspension damage there.

Turn 2.  pretty steep downhill into the turn.  This is a TIGHT 2nd gear turn, so you'll turn in about 25-35mph.  If you turn in early, it's ugly.
If you miss the braking point and go off here, you'll be lucky if you only run into the tires.  there's trees beyond them there tires, and you WILL stop quickly after that.

Turn 3. flows pretty well out of turn 2.  If you have a high power car and/or wet track, STAY OF THE CURBING!!!  If you spin a right side tire on the curb and it hooks you to the right, you'll be through the tires and into the trees before you can go "oh shit, my car's totalled".  I've seen several cars written off only going 50mph there.

Turn 4.  this is a tricky one.  watch the video.  this is one of those corners that just goes on forever and you turn in WAAAY late, then you stay about 1 lane to the outside through the first half of the turn.  when the turn finishes, it'll dump you onto the right side of the track aligned with the  curbing so you make a smooth transition into T5.

T5.  some cars have to lift/brake between 4 and 5, but a Miata should be flat from T4 all the way out.  This is a deceptively fast and fun turn and you can carry a lot of speed through it.  plenty of visibility into and out of it, so just figure out your favorite line and stay in the gas. If you lift here in a Miata, then you screwed up.

T6. You're still somewhat sideways coming out of T5 when it's time to brake for 6.  great place to practice left foot braking since you only scrub a little speed and then get back on it to set the car and carry you through the turn.  for a momentum car, I generally do a somewhat-early turn in and stick along the curbing to the inside then feed more and more throttle on your way out.

Cannonball Baker Straight.   As long and straight as it looks on the map, this is about 2-3 seconds of straight before the best spot on the track.

T7-8 complex..   This Cannonball Baker Straight seems so short because you're going uphill into the 7-8 complex which is a sweeping left into a BLIND quick right at the crest of the hill.  As you're coming up the hill into 7, you should apex just next to the curbing on the left side and then look on the horizon for what used to be an old billboard.  it's now just 3-4 telephone poles sticking up over the horizon.  Aim for that and it will carry you to the curbing on the inside of 8.  stay just to the left of the curb and aim down the hill.

T9. The Bitch.  If you screw up T8, then it just made you its bitch.  Just as the car is getting some weight back on it from cresting the hill, start feeding brake into the car.  you'll have to modulate brakes here because the car is light and gaining weight as it comes over the crest and then you head downhill.  Just before the turn in, the elevation bottoms out and you can REALLY stand on the brakes just before turn in.   turn in late and then nail the gas before you're quite aiming at the apex.  your momentum will carry you all the way across the track and if you do it right, you can actually drift a Miata under power- going uphill even!  However, if you get the braking wrong, you will wind up in a foam + tire barrier at the bottom of the hill.   If it's rained recently, you might as well summon the tow truck cause you ain't getting out.

T10.  Go up the hill coming out of 9 and cry that your Miata doesn't have any torque while the pig-handling Mustangs leave your arse behind.
Brake and turn in REALLY late for this increasing-radius 180* turn.  once you turn in, you can modulate throttle and accelerate all the way out of the turn.  about 2/3 of the way through the turn, you'll notice "HALLETT" in large letters in the curbing.  This is the apex for the turn.  You want to just about kiss the curbing with your inside tires here and then let momentum carry you back out to the right edge of the track.
If it has been raining, this exit is a VERY dangerous spot in the track as I have seen quite a few cars spin to the inside and hit the tirewall backwards here.  If you start to go off, do whatever you have to in order to stay to the outside of the track.  both feet in, steer straight, whatever- just make sure you don't go to the inside.

Get the car settled, shift to 4th just before the starter stand, take two deep breaths, then get ready for 1 again because here it comes!

I think this applies to all tracks. 

540f4a6c43a0b_tracknotes.jpg

left, up, down, left, right, up, right, left, down, left, up, left, right and down, right and up, up again, left.

and then look on the horizon for what used to be an old billboard. 

You grew up in New England giving directions, right?

Actually I grew up in Tulsa, and that old billboard has been the focal point for that turn in the last 20 years I've been going to Hallett. ;)

In all of the tracks I go to, that's probably the only "monument" I actually look at for a reference. 

Wide screen video... From 2007. I can't remember what run group I was in back then, but I was collecting and analyzing data, so there's a reason for everything I'm doing in the video... 1:29.04. Not sure if that's a good time or not.

Paging @@DTP525 (or anyone that doesn't drive a miata)

Bringing this back from the dead. 

I had a very difficult time forgetting all my miata reference points when I was driving the Z. I also thought the extra bit of speed really increased the difficulty. 

My questions:

Turn 1: The braking zone for turn 1 was in a bad spot for me. I wanted to start my braking in the middle of the uphill section and end at the top of the plateau, but that seemed to unsettle the car enough to make me slower than if I brake a little earlier and get all my braking done before the plateau. 

Turn 2: It always felt like I was over-slowing for this turn. Thinking about it now, I wish I had gone deeper into the turn and just drive over the kerbing on the right as you exit so you end up making the radius a little larger. But I honestly don't have enough clean laps or data to back that up.

Turn 10: This is a drift corner for me. How do I carry speed but not drift the crap out of it? 

This track was fun in the miata, but much more challenging to me in the Z.

Hmmm...I haven't been to Hallett in almost 3yrs. I would have to refer back to my videos. I do know that for T2, I do use the curbing on the right as you mentioned. T10 if you drift it you'll blow your time for the next lap. Really need to get a good run out of there, late apex to straighten out sooner.

Hmmm...I haven't been to Hallett in almost 3yrs. I would have to refer back to my videos. I do know that for T2, I do use the curbing on the right as you mentioned. T10 if you drift it you'll blow your time for the next lap. Really need to get a good run out of there, late apex to straighten out sooner.

10-4, thanks. I didn't realize you haven't been there in a while. 

With regards to turn 10, In the miata I could get to 100% gas about the middle of the turn and in the Z, I just keep waiting and waiting and waiting..... 

Not sure if this will help any-- different car, different handling, slicks, and the contrast in the video is so washed out you can't see the numbers on the track for the brake markers.

Here's my comments anyway..

For T1, it looks like I'm getting my braking done on the uphill side of the hump and then I'm on the gas before turn-in.  (This is how you have to drive this car because of the solid axle and stiff LSD--- trail braking is a no-no.)

For T2, use that curb ONLY when the track is clean and dry.  I know lots of people-- LOTS-- that have written off cars from using that curb at the exit of 2 when it's covered in dirt (from a previous off) or wet.  you get right side wheel spin over the curb and it immediately shoots you to the right, downhill, and into the trees.  That tire wall and trees have taken a lot of hits over the years.

anyway..   YES.. when it's dry, definitely use the curb. it's wide and smooth.   HOWEVER, with your P/W, you should be concerned about wheelspin even in the dry.   try it and slowly build up speed and power over it.   If there is even a hint of moisture on the track, stay the hell off that curb.

For T10, brake and enter later, and do a single very late apex and get most of your turning done in the first half of the corner.  that way you can get on the gas harder and sooner and come off the corner straighter.  This doesn't work in a race situation since someone could undercut you under braking and steal your line.   during a TT or when there's no cars near enough to try that move, you lose a touch of time through the corner for slowing more BUT you gain a fair amount of exit speed.  Since that opens to the longest straight on the track, exit speed is the best time-gainer.

I also have a couple minutes of video from my 240SX.  I drive it somewhere between Miata and GT car.  it doesn't have a lot of power, but it's got some aero so it gets through the turns.  it has a crappy diff and just enough torque to spin the tires in a few spots though, so you have to drive it something like a pony car where you keep the ass end square coming off turns.  (BTW, that was an airborne, no-lift off coming out of 1! corner workers gave me props after the race for that one..)