HDA

Go Kart

3 hours ago, lobster said:

Ive been thinking about it for a while.   LO206 is probably what I would get.

my concern isn’t money it’s time tho.  It seems that most weekends revolve around the car.

right now I’ll stick to rental kart racing in the interim.

theres a new 200CC thing that is the new hot kart gig. id go that route. after driving a 206 it is quiet slow. although the shifter kart is probably a bit much. im with HDA. LOL I wanna go fast. 

20 minutes ago, PoBoyR6 said:

Sent you a PM...I know of a Stock Honda for sale at a really good price. Let me know if you want the contact info assuming its still available. I'm currently racing Master Shifter (over 30 years old) and can answer any questions you have on the class.

How full is the class? I have a friend that has a shifter that's just been sitting. I wonder if I could borrow it to drive...….. 

where do you go?  Speed sportz and GCKI? 

On 7/14/2014 at 10:47 PM, DTP525 said:

Shifter kart yes, but I would say Chonda or Tag/Rotax isn't too bad cost-wise. I'm looking to get a Chonda soon, I think that class has many parallels to W2W car racing. They're not fast, but they really test your mental game and help you with your racecraft.

Dang, I hope you get this notification and come back to forums.....

29 minutes ago, V6Donut said:

How full is the class? I have a friend that has a shifter that's just been sitting. I wonder if I could borrow it to drive...….. 

where do you go?  Speed sportz and GCKI? 

On a good day you can get 4-6 shifters, most are masters now since SKUSA announced the 175cc IAME. No one is running it locally or even regionally. That has dropped Senior Shifter kart counts since the youngsters want to wait until that engine is proven, both for tuning and reliability. Stock Honda for Master Shifter is the way to go though, proven, reliable, powerful Honda engine with plentiful cheap parts for those of us who are not chasing the impossible dream of being a pro racer.

As for tracks locally its Speedsportz and GCKI, waiting on HKC to finish. More shifters turn up at Speedsportz cause its faster/newer/better facilities but I personally love running at GCKI. The tracks/surface/setup are completely different between them.

Man 4-6 shifters on a good day!?! 😞

sounds like e30 spec

17 hours ago, HDA said:

sounds like e30 spec

VS 20+ entries for Lo206

19 hours ago, HDA said:

sounds like e30 spec

At Houston club level 4-6 in any class is a decent turnout...even 206 sometimes doesn't have much more than that...but generally 206 does have the most entries, usually about 10 give or take. With shifters it really doesn't matter how full the class is, most of the challenge is setting up and driving the kart consistently throughout a race without losing pace due to physical fatigue. You don't really want a bunch of randos out there just making up numbers because of the challenge involved to drive them at the limit properly. When you get to regional or national level with 10-15+ shifters per class, it can be pretty chaotic with expensive/painful multi kart wrecks, flipped karts, etc.

If you aren't able to take Jay's sons kart for a test you are welcome to try mine out next time I head out to GCKI. Both me and Jay's son are about the same size as you so seat/pedals should fit pretty well. Jay's kart likely won't have fresh tires, but I will put some fairly fresh rubber on, even though the track won't be rubbered in, so you'll get an idea of what you're getting into. To put it in perspective, when I'm zoned in sometimes I start drooling and it flicks off my cheek to the side of my helmet...I'll show you some simple neck exercises you can do at home to be able to handle the g's.

Jack's building a cart track at MSR Cresson.  Hmmmm . . . .

A little off the main topic - but for those that are still happy to turn some rental laps once a month or so, what do you guys recommend?

My wife and I have done HKC and Speedsportz.  HKC said they are getting new/faster karts for those that run low 60’s.  Their current karts seemed faster / looser than Speedsportz.  Haven’t been at GCKI.

26 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

A little off the main topic - but for those that are still happy to turn some rental laps once a month or so, what do you guys recommend?

My wife and I have done HKC and Speedsportz.  HKC said they are getting new/faster karts for those that run low 60’s.  Their current karts seemed faster / looser than Speedsportz.  Haven’t been at GCKI.

speedsportz does some league racing stuff in the rentals and whatnot if you want to play a little more competitively in someone else's kart.

GCKI is an unstaffed club track- members only- it doesn't have any rental facility.  once you pay your membership, they just give you the combination to the gate and have at it.