speedracer

speedracer 1990 Miata

Just to catch everyone up on my Miata .   The new quick connect steering wheel was installed and I had the steering rack depowered.  That was an excellent modification which allows me in and out of the car with much less pain. 

The fans would not turn on so it needed a new sensor on top of the thermostat.   

So far it will not go over 87 mph. My son has a theory that if I hit 88 the flux capacitor will kick in.  So if you are following me and suddenly I vanish it is that I have gone back to the future.

Efforts to increase top speed discovered that at some point the exhaust system ate a catalytic converter. That resulted in installation of a new exhaust system.

The car survived all weekend so I signed up for another track day.

it will still not go over 87 so I am exploring other options to get it to go faster.

However before I endulge in go fast parts the car needs new brakes.   So  as with all track cars the budget has been thrown out of the window as I continue to throw money at the car hoping that at some point it will become a fast and reliable HPDE car. 

The Miata is back in the shop this morning for new brakes and some new sway bars.    I am looking forward to an additional step forward in confidence with the car during the next HPDE event.   Nothing like new brakes to boost your confidence hammering the brakes before a low speed corner. 

For the second time in my ownership the Miata made all 8 sessions of my HPDE event.   The new brakes worked  perfectly and I was generally more focused on driving and less worried about the car.  I had one off but was able to navigate back to the track under the cars own power.     Of particular note this car has very little power and consequently some of the high speed turns required little or no braking.  It much more like driving go cart at track 21 where you focus on saving every single ounce of momentum in every corner and resign yourself to little or no acceleration.    It is a sad state of affairs when the 1.8 liter miatas are sorry for you because they pull away on the straights.    My next purchase will be to replace my 15 year old struts and bump stops.