TrackJunkies.Org

COTA sims

Looked for this, sorry if I missed it. I'm looking for a sim for COTA to get some practice on the proper line (for an upcoming event). I have GT5/6 but it is not on there. Also not on iRacing from what I can tell. It looks like F1 2013 is an option, as is simraceway (?) and rFactor (?).

F1 2013 is appealing since I do not have a full-up PC setup yet, and can play that on my PS3. I have a Logitech G27 wheel.

So, F1 2013 good enough? Better options?

Thanks

I bought F1 2013 before going and I felt like it was fun and got me the seat time I needed to be effective when I arrived. Obviously, an F1 car is slightly different than my Miata, but it's close enough that I didn't feel too "off" when I got there in person.

robert

The problem with using F1 2013 (or 2012) is you'll be driving an F1 car.  Things are different.  Places you don't treat as a corner will be much more difficult in an actual production based car.  For example, although your wing might keep you planted, with an LS1 in a Miata, you may have to lift for T2, but in a "regular" Miata, you wouldn't even think of coming off the throttle until well after the bridge.  T10 with that LS1 you might lift, in an F1 car you wouldn't, but in a Spec Miata you better not.

From what I understand iRacing is working on their release of CotA.  It's not done, but it's definitely in testing.  The simraceway and rFactor ones I've raced were not even close to accurate, other than the general shape of the track.  I got the impression even the camber in the corners was not right.

General direction, great, but if you're trying to really learn it before you go, not really an option available.  You may want to look at hiring a coach for a day to get you through it, then work on your own for the rest of the event.  You might get away with even a half day, which some coaches will do if they have other clients on for the day.  You could also take a session and just follow someone you know is really good on the course.

-Michael

Yes agreed on the F1 car being completely different than the Miata, even a LS1 Miata with aero. F1 is clearly a different plane of existence so things like braking points (!), shift points, and fine changes in the line are not something I'll fine tune. But, the finer points of the on-track reality in my car would be different from any sim for that matter. All I'm looking for is something that will give me a better knowledge of the track than going in blind, or watching on-track videos.

There is a potential side benefit to the F1 sim... If I can think through the line at warp speed, then when I go around it at impulse speed it will seem 'slow'. At the 2013 GP the Ferrari Challenge cars were almost boring to watch compared to F1, even in the stadium section.

A pro coach (like Eric Foss) would be great. From what I have seen that is a pretty expensive option I would rather save for one of the NASA tracks (TWS, MSRC/H, ECR, Hallett) since there is a dual-benefit.

Robert can you heavily detune the F1 car in the sim? Less power, less downforce, that sort of thing?

Monaco GP wins! Just look at those awesome graphics!

Hmm, you can do some amount of tuning, but to be honest, my goal was always to go faster... it is kind of fun driving an F1 car :)

Are you going to be at TWS this weekend with Drivers Edge? Or do you know anyone that is? I could put my copy if F1 into your hands that way. Assuming I can find it, anyhow.

robert

The simraceway and rFactor ones I've raced were not even close to accurate, other than the general shape of the track.  I got the impression even the camber in the corners was not right.

Ummm, Michael?  Were you using the rFactor track that someone exported from out of the F1 game like I told everyone about back in this thread?  Because it's pretty darn accurate.  Brianne practiced on it last year before her Pirelli World Challenge Race at COTA last year and got a lot of value out of it. I had a couple of SCCA SRF buddies drive the sim before the SCCA run-offs last year and they also found it equally valuable.

Robert thanks for the offer, that would be great. I am not going but let me see if I know anyone from SA that will be there.  I will be at NASA next weekend at Cresson if you are going to that.

Nope, but I bet @ is and can carry it up for us.

robert

Ummm, Michael?  Were you using the rFactor track that someone exported from out of the F1 game like I told everyone about back in this thread?  Because it's pretty darn accurate.  Brianne practiced on it last year before her Pirelli World Challenge Race at COTA last year and got a lot of value out of it. I had a couple of SCCA SRF buddies drive the sim before the SCCA run-offs last year and they also found it equally valuable.

I'll concede my expectations from a sim are high, but in the video you show, T7-T10 is pretty bad.  There are other spots where it's great, but that section in particular is off by a lot.  Missing camber, radius not quite right, etc.

-Michael

A pro coach (like Eric Foss) would be great. From what I have seen that is a pretty expensive option I would rather save for one of the NASA tracks (TWS, MSRC/H, ECR, Hallett) since there is a dual-benefit.

Yes, Eric is expensive, especially since he just won Daytona.  I heard his rates went up and he charges about double what I do now.  He's an excellent driver and coach, but you can get every bit as much out of a session with me, Dave Scott, and the several other IMSA drivers in the area.  Taking it in steps, you could start out with Dave, use me to polish, then Eric to fine tune.  (Mix that around as you like.)

-Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Michael: Funny I haven't changed my rate in four years. It's $1k/day and I provide a Traqmate and GoPro video during the day of coaching.

John: I can assure you one day with me will be much more effective than a new set of tires.  Let me know when you are ready.

In all honesty I appreciate the interest in my coaching and hope that any you will consider it in the future. Schedule me early as I'm booked most of the next few months and it doesn't matter which track we do the coaching at. What I teach will apply to any track and any car.

If anyone needs references on my coaching please feel free to pm me.

Thanks again and good luck at COTA!

Eric Foss

www.ericfossracing.com

Michael: Funny I haven't changed my rate in four years. It's $1k/day and I provide a Traqmate and GoPro video during the day of coaching.

Bad info on my part.  I heard you were more expensive than that.  I apologize for the error.  At that rate, I'll should probably hire you to help me fix my own bad habits (besides not verifying rumors).   :wink: 

To clarify folks, Eric is a fantastic coach, and worth every penny.  Please don't take my comments above as anything but complete admiration for his outstanding skill and ability to transform a driver.

I think I'm just going to climb back into a hole and hide for a while.  It seems nothing I say/write is taken as intended.  The only thing I'm apparently supposed to be sure of is I'm complete shit.

Not saying anything remotely close to that.  Your a great instructor as others testify to, I hope your goal to become a 'professional driving coach' is successful.  But calling yourself one, and comparing yourself to genuine, working pros isn't how to start building the sort of respect you desire, at least to some.

• 1 month later...

So to wrap this up, I bought a copy of F1 2012 and was able to get in some practice time. Between that and watching some in-car footage I felt pretty comfortable considering it was my first time on the track. 

• 3 months later...

iRacing added CotA in April.  It's a beautiful scan.  Looks very much like the actual track environment, and they have lots of accurately modeled cars.  You have to pay, but it's nothing compared to CotA registration fees.

iRacing has recently given some love to my MX5. They've fixed the awful snap oversteer problem and made it a joy to drive. They even have a new Advanced MX5 Cup race with full tuning options. Just wish it was running at COTA. Some of us are making a plea to get it added next season. I'm starting to really enjoy iRacing again. Almost have my B license now.