TrackJunkies.Org

Request for AiM Solo MSRH CCW Data

Dave

Hello fellow junkies,

I am requesting for Solo data in the 1:48 and below time range. I need to know which areas I really suck at vs just suck. I can run a low 1:49 and I run consistent low 1:50s.

Looking for something comparable to a 350Z. I seem to be pretty even with E46 M3s, and I know there are a bunch of you out there!

Many thanks ahead of time!! 

What format is the data in?  I have some from my PBox that I could try to export into .csv | Traqmate format for ya.  What software does the Solo use to review data?  I'm happy to take a look at your data and let you know what I see.  [i know I have sub-1:45 data, and data from there up to 1:50s or so]

-td

Dave - would you share the file you have for your times.  Best I could do Sunday was 1:50:01.  I am pretty sure I drive a 1:46 car, but the driver is not yet there.  I'd like to compare your runs with mine.  If I see anywhere that I am faster, I'll send you mine.

You could always have a fast friend or an instructor drive your car, then use those laps to compare.  Chances are they won't drive it all out, but likely fast enough to give you something to work on.  Also, with the knowledge they're driving at only 80% or whatever, you'll have an idea of where you're losing time.

3vhwod.jpg

Not really.  It happens a lot, and usually with good results.  On rare occasions, something bad happens, but that's usually because someone is being an idiot.  If done as I described, it can be a very good tool.  It really depends on where you are as a driver.  An instructor driving at 70%, fairly common, will usually outdrive a Green or even Blue student, and give them something to shoot for without having to push the car too far.  80% will get you up to Yellow.  You're still in a good place with an experienced instructor.

After that, you're looking to pay a pro to coach you, and that often involves extra money if you want them to drive your car to compare times and speeds.  The contract typically involves releasing them from harm if they cause damage to your car.

Dave - I was comparing our data.  Our finish lines are different but I was able to use beacon shift to line them up. 

Looks like my car may have a bit more HP as I am able to get more top speed in the straights.  The only exception was into gut check where you were able to hold your speed past the kink a bit longer than me.  I also had two cars in front of me on my fastest lap but I think in general I get off gas too much at the kink.

Looks like both of us can do better into the sweeper.  I carry speed a bit deeper, but I think that this turn can be made faster if the end of this back straight is moved to middle inside of the first turn of the bus stop.  I don't left foot brake, but this seems like a good candidate.

If you get stickier tires (look at Ventus TD's) you can probably pick up 5-10 mph through carousel.

Dave - I was comparing our data.  Our finish lines are different but I was able to use beacon shift to line them up. 

Looks like my car may have a bit more HP as I am able to get more top speed in the straights.  The only exception was into gut check where you were able to hold your speed past the kink a bit longer than me.  I also had two cars in front of me on my fastest lap but I think in general I get off gas too much at the kink.

Looks like both of us can do better into the sweeper.  I carry speed a bit deeper, but I think that this turn can be made faster if the end of this back straight is moved to middle inside of the first turn of the bus stop.  I don't left foot brake, but this seems like a good candidate.

If you get stickier tires (look at Ventus TD's) you can probably pick up 5-10 mph through carousel.

Cool, thanks for the update. Yes the sweeper is a problem spot for me. When I was running behind Dan in his E46 M3, he just brushed his brakes there, and I had been giving them a bigger stab. I don't have the confidence yet to really explore the limits of that turn. I just don't want to blow bus stop. I think that's my main mental block with that turn. 

Cool, thanks for the update. Yes the sweeper is a problem spot for me. When I was running behind Dan in his E46 M3, he just brushed his brakes there, and I had been giving them a bigger stab. I don't have the confidence yet to really explore the limits of that turn. I just don't want to blow bus stop. I think that's my main mental block with that turn. 

F' the right hander into the bus stop. Although, as you know, I only use the janky Harry's lap timer, I dropped .5 seconds a lap on average just by turning into the bus stop from the middle of the track. Lots of people turn in late through the sweeper to line up the car next to the left edge of the track. I come off the edge after the first braking cone, quick stab of the brake down into the apex of the sweeper (I'd left foot brake if I had the skills) and then back on the gas. Deep trail brake into the bus stop. Rich S. taught me this line.

You do brake really late into the sweeper. I remember I had Art in the car with me and I scared the shit out of him the first time around.

F' the right hander into the bus stop. Although, as you know, I only use the janky Harry's lap timer, I dropped .5 seconds a lap on average just by turning into the bus stop from the middle of the track. Lots of people turn in late through the sweeper to line up the car next to the left edge of the track. I come off the edge after the first braking cone, quick stab of the brake down into the apex of the sweeper (I'd left foot brake if I had the skills) and then back on the gas. Deep trail brake into the bus stop. Rich S. taught me this line.

You do brake really late into the sweeper. I remember I had Art in the car with me and I scared the shit out of him the first time around.

I saw Rich do that behind me on a lap, and I was thinking "what the hell is he doing?!" lol. I'll have to give it a shot next time I'm out there. 

I saw Rich do that behind me on a lap, and I was thinking "what the hell is he doing?!" lol. I'll have to give it a shot next time I'm out there. 

When I walked the track at that corner there was a lot more camber than I thought. Its kind of like carousel where you really want to stay on the inner half of the track because the outer half is off camber.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey @@Thundermoose, check out this video. It shows you how to line up the start finish if they are different. This guy has a great series of videos on how to use the RS2 software.

Wow, thanks so much for posting this! Not sure how I missed that feature. I have been using beacon shift, which is equal parts more annoying and less precise. 

@Tundermoose -- just tested this out using the data you posted a while back from TWS. Got some insights, thanks!

Here is my data. e46 M3 in NASA TTB 1:43.2.

Ken - thanks.  4 places that you gain a bunch of time on me - (1) you're carrying a lot more speed into the carousel (8-10 mph more), (2) into diamonds edge, (3) into sweeper, and (4) into sugar and spice.  I definitely need to brake/lift less in those 4 spots.  I may need stickier tires to carry this speed through carousel, but the other 3 are just a function of testicle size.  Denis