TrackJunkies.Org

AiM Solo Data Exchange

Dave

I was wondering if anyone would mind uploading their AiM Solo data files to this thread so I can compare my data with yours. I feel like I am finally getting familiar with the analysis tool and I'd like to see where I might be able to improve. I haven't had my Solo very long, but I do have data for MSRC 3.1 and 1.7CCW. 

There is probably a better way to organize this on our forum, like having a data exchange thread for each track, but I don't even know if anyone will even participate. 

Test

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7PvXL9QYrjiN3hFN1dCUzhKNGc&usp=sharing

I don't have any good data from those configs, but I actually was thinking this weekend I'd love to have someone else's data from H2R for some laps in the 1:20s so I could compare to mine and see where I'm giving up time. I'm happy to share some data from TWS or H2R if there's interest. I'm no expert-level driver, though...I'd benefit more from comparing to others with better times than others would probably benefit from seeing my data.

FYI, I think comparing data is the main idea behind Lapshare, but I tinkered with it unsuccessfully a while back. And it seems like your goal is more focused on the RaceStudio software.

Yeah, I was thinking of RaceStudio specifically. I hate that you can't mix and match data logs for analysis from different systems. There seems to be quite a few folks running either the Solo or SoloDL so we should have some data available. I intend to add data here as I go around to the different tracks. 

What about setting up a Dropbox, Box.net, or Google Drive folder where participants can share data files? Just establish a naming convention (and sub-folders perhaps by track?) to keep it organized. I don't have much data, but would be happy to contribute what little I have.

I have a link in the original post to a google drive folder structure for each track config that I could think of. I am trying to figure out what the file name convention should be. I am open to suggestions, but I know no one will follow it. I thought "CarModel Session# YYYYMMDD.drk" might be good, but I'm a database guy so what the heck do I know. Anybody have a better idea? I am still unemployed for the rest of the week so I have plenty of free time to work on this, lol. 

Thanks for setting that up. I like the idea. I keep thinking -- if this catches on -- of how you'll end up with lots of files in these folders and you might want to be able to scan/find things according to the following:

1. Best lap time

2. Driver

You could try to fit all this into the file naming convention, but that could get unwieldy. But other than something more customized for this purpose (with fields, etc) I can't think of a good quick/dirty alternative. 

You might also consider not making the top-level directory "AiM Solo Data." I can see how it would be useful to organize it as-is by track, but with different data acquisition formats within each track config (either mixed together and denoted in the naming convention/file extensions, or in separate directories). 

Also, very small thing, but it could be helpful from a readability standpoint to delimit the date portions (e.g. YYYY-MM-DD) and pad the session number for sorting ("S001"). 

Just my quick thoughts. Feel free to disregard since I'm not the one making the effort to do this here. 

Thanks for setting that up. I like the idea. I keep thinking -- if this catches on -- of how you'll end up with lots of files in these folders and you might want to be able to scan/find things according to the following:

1. Best lap time

2. Driver

You could try to fit all this into the file naming convention, but that could get unwieldy. But other than something more customized for this purpose (with fields, etc) I can't think of a good quick/dirty alternative. 

You might also consider not making the top-level directory "AiM Solo Data." I can see how it would be useful to organize it as-is by track, but with different data acquisition formats within each track config (either mixed together and denoted in the naming convention/file extensions, or in separate directories). 

Also, very small thing, but it could be helpful from a readability standpoint to delimit the date portions (e.g. YYYY-MM-DD) and pad the session number for sorting ("S001"). 

Just my quick thoughts. Feel free to disregard since I'm not the one making the effort to do this here. 

All very good points. I've already changed the name of the root directory to be system agnostic. Everything is searchable, so if you want a Solo file add drk to your search. I'm not sure how best lap time and driver would work out. If you tried to search for a lap time, you'd have to be exact. Also, do people use their TJ handle or their real name. I'm going to have my non-TJer friends use this too. Would anyone take the time to add all this to their filename? I tried to keep the filename as short as possible. Using "S" to denote session is a good idea except I would lose the leading zeros. 

• 8 months later...

Hey, is there a way with the AIM software to view an overlay of the track? I've seen this done in the Apex advanced group classes. Can someone point me in the right direction? 

Thanks,

MS

Well if you want to be able to see where you are relative to your speed graph, then follow this tutorial. I think it's this one. Haven't watched it in a while.

The rest of them can be found here: http://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/3127-aim-solo-race-studio-software-tutorial-videos/

GREAT INFO. Thanks for that. The guys at Apex must be using different software. I'll ask them about it next time I see them. But what I was hoping to see is the edges of the track so I could find laps where I took different lines and compare corner exit speeds, for example. Is there a way to do that with Race Studio 2?