TrackJunkies.Org

Thank God I Have an Understanding Wife

Decided to go a different direction, and I just "won" an '01 E46 M3 on EBay. No sunroof, manual seats, and minimal options - it s/b a good track car. Someone please buy my S2000 or Z06, I'm out of garage space!!!! I s/b heading down to Austin to pick it up Saturday....can't wait!

3E23F63N35N75H55M3d6l3e9217322d531d5d.jp

3E83r93I15I75ra5F3d6lff089ae924501d79.jp

I didn't really think there could be a wife more understanding of the addiction than mine, but I'm starting to think I am wrong.

I think the M3 should be fun for you. They are certainly tempting.

robert

I would, but my membership isn't up to date, and I can't stay long enough to do a 1/2 day guest pass. I'll be back, though - prob. when LRA has their next DE.

When I started this thread, I expected I'd be heading back to DFW due to a looming work deadline. Fortunately, I had a productive day yesterday so I can spend the night in Austin and relax a bit. Will anyone be @ H2R this afternoon, or alternately, anything going on tonight? Would be great to see some fellow TJ's!

Damn, that is one sexy car. Will swap you a 2012 MX5 for the S2000.

Thanks! All you have to do is sell your MX-5, and my S2000 could be yours! I would love to have it go to someone like you who I know would use it properly.

The E46 M3 I was going to buy was rougher than represented - seller used pics that must have been several years old. It also didn't feel nearly as good as any of my cars, so I passed. I'm def keeping either the S2000 or the Z06 now, maybe both.

The E46 M3 I was going to buy was rougher than represented - seller used pics that must have been several years old.

Gah, I don't understand people like that. Are you going to get there are not notice that they totally misrepresented the vehicle?

robert

I didn't really think there could be a wife more understanding of the addiction than mine, but I'm starting to think I am wrong.

I think the M3 should be fun for you. They are certainly tempting.

robert

my wife quit asking about packages that show up long ago.  she knows if I am in the garage working, I am not out gambling, drinking, in strip bars or pool halls, etc, etc.  she did make it clear that I cannot confiscate her M3 unless I buy her a new M car.  not just a new BMW.  it must be a new M3 or M4.  off to the welt I go in 2014.

A little more info on the deal. I took my family down to Austin to buy the car yesterday around lunchtime. The car is titled in the seller's dad's name, so the father met me. Really nice guy, very laid back. The car looked immaculate in pics, and I was willing to pay accordingly. Imagine my disappointment when I see 2 puncture holes in the front bumper and cracked foglamp lenses, which he called normal road wear.

I took it for a spin, and the engine felt strong. Something needs freshening in the front end, since the steering had more free play than I'd expect in a BMW, but that's not unexpected w/ 114K miles. The oil temp gauge didn't work - he disclosed it as "Oil Thermal sensor ($50 part) is recommended to be replaced on the next oil change."

I expressed my feelings to the father, and he understood. Later that afternoon, i got a text from the son advising that I'm contractually obligated to buy it, blah blah blah. I called and advised him that (a) I agreed to buy it from him, and he doesn't have legal ownership to sell it to me; and (b) he misrepresented the condition, giving me another out. He was pretty upset about other opps he missed to sell the car, but I told him he wouldn't have that problem had he been forthcoming about the issues rather than dance around them. I must have talked w/ him for nearly an hour before bidding trying to ascertain the condition. I told him I'm not opposed to buying it, but the price would have to be a good bit lower. I like the M3 b/c it has decent seats, easy harness options from Shroth, and extra space/practicality, but it didn't drive near as well as my Z06 or S2000, and neither did a friend's E46 and E36 M3's that I drove today.

I still don't know exactly what I'll do, but right now I'm leaning toward continuing to track my S while slowing prepping the Z06 for the future - and I'll accelerate the prep work should somebody buy my S2000 in the meantime. (it's getting tons of interest, but they're all low-ballers)

Intervention or a Miata to round out the fleet. 

Hmmmmmm.

Been there, done that. Great cars, but I don't see myself buying another one soon. My biggest beef w/ the S2000 as a track car is that it's a convertible, and I'd prefer a closed coupe.

I expressed my feelings to the father, and he understood. Later that afternoon, i got a text from the son advising that I'm contractually obligated to buy it, blah blah blah. I called and advised him that (a) I agreed to buy it from him, and he doesn't have legal ownership to sell it to me; and (b) he misrepresented the condition, giving me another out. He was pretty upset about other opps he missed to sell the car, but I told him he wouldn't have that problem had he been forthcoming about the issues rather than dance around them. I must have talked w/ him for nearly an hour before bidding trying to ascertain the condition. I told him I'm not opposed to buying it, but the price would have to be a good bit lower. I like the M3 b/c it has decent seats, easy harness options from Shroth, and extra space/practicality, but it didn't drive near as well as my Z06 or S2000, and neither did a friend's E46 and E36 M3's that I drove today.

Was this a car that you were going to buy on Ebay or something?