MX5#98

iRacing

Yeah, there is a TrackJunkies team. But I've been out of the game for a while. I'm looking for someone else to run with it at the moment.

well i'm just getting into it and have not even built a rig yet probably will hit you up in a few weeks about it.

NASA Schedule for week of 3/27

Tuesday 3/29 @ 7:30 PM CDT  (TONIGHT!!)

Miatas (Fixed) at Watkins Glen

1h 20m Practice, 10m Qual, 30m Race

Thursday 3/31 @ 7:30 PM CDT

GT1 at Silverstone

1h 20m Practice, 10m Qual, 30m Race

Anyone planning on being online tonight for Watkins Glen?

Keeping this thread going...

I just started using iRacing seriously about a month ago. User name is "John Roberts5". Mostly I have been racing in the official races and working on raising my license class, but I have also been participating in the NASA evening races. Last night was Mid-Ohio in Miatas, which I had never 'driven' before, so I had to learn the track ASAP in the bit of practice time I had before qualifying. Turned out to be great fun, though I ended up finishing mid-pack, due to some time in the pits from a money shift *facepalm* and the fact that the front runners are really fast. 

I'm using a 24" three-screen setup with a NVidia GTX 970 in an HP box I scored at a good price during the holiday sales; it was less expensive than building my own, and came with a Windows license. A friend of mine lent me an Oculus Rift DK2 to try out before I went with the three-screen setup. It is definitely very, very cool, and I can see the appeal. The resolution makes it tough to pick out points in the distance so in the end I decided to go to the three screen. For those using the Oculus, if you are not already using SweetFX, check it out because it is a definite improvement in video quality. It's a program you download and install into your iRacing folders.

I have not tried it yet, but a friend of mine (also a NASA racer) spoke very highly of a 3D three-screen setup he tried with iRacing. I was tempted, but that upped the price of the monitors quite a bit. Maybe later.     

The wheel is a G27, and the pedals are a Fanatec load cell setup. Right now I am using auto-blip because the brake pedal has too much deflection to heel-toe properly. I have an oversized master cylinder in my track car (race-prepped LS1 Miata) and the brake pedal is very stiff, so heel-toe is a lot easier. I would like to replicate that in my iRacing pedal setup as well (without spending a fortune) so I can practice heel-toe technique.  

So far I really like the realism of iRacing. If I do something correctly or incorrectly, the same thing happens in the sim as what would happen on the track. Early apexing, bad throttle technique, money shifts, etc. It can be frustrating at times, but hey so can real racing. I also like the predictive lap timer option, since I use one in my real track car as well. It is very helpful to get that real-time feedback when figuring out a track and/or a car. 

BTW I agree with the earlier comments about the Ruf Class C car. It is fantastic. I tried it out at Brands Hatch and it was tremendously fun. So far it is the one that feels the most like my real track car. 

I need to look into this team racing thing. Are there any particular requirements to join the trackjunkies team?

You don't have to use the clutch for a downshift with the Miata, only on the upshift.  Just blip the throttle when downshifting and learn to left foot brake.  You actually lose time when you have autoblip enabled because the upshifts are so slow.

I have pretty much the same setup as you: G27 wheel, Fanatec ClubSport v3's, triple 24"s, GTX970.  I was in the practice for a few minutes on Tuesday but had to bail due to some work stuff.  Hopefully I can make the entire thing next week.

I'm Kevin Jander btw.

LFB = awesomeness!!

My sim is up and running. My name is Brad J Gross. Have just been doing tests so far. Planning on starting the licensing class and going from there. I bought all tracks and all cars.

FWIW I changed the location of the pivot pin on the Fanatech brake pedal; it was in the bottom slot, and I moved it up one notch. That was a huge change in pedal stiffness and I am much happier with it. Between that, and taking the spacer out from behind the gas pedal, I can heel-toe again. 

I have been spending most of my time racing the SRF at Charlotte, and the Skip Barber open-wheel car at Okayama, both D class series. The SRF car can be very unforgiving; it's hard to correct oversteer sometimes. The Skip Barber car is fun, but has to be driven precisely. Overdriving it even a bit will drop lap times precipitously. Changes from its baseline setup help quite a bit. 

No way in hell I would ever want to race on that Charlotte road course for real. The exit of T1 into the infield... there is a very fine line between heroism and death. 

573f60c366f44_IMG_1614.jpg

I got hooked on iRacing a couple of months ago. I had a g920 and a wheelstand pro for xbox games. I took the plunge and went for a 3 monitor setup last week.  It was sort of a pain in the ass to setup because I had to mount an old seat, build a "desk", and build a platform for the monitors and other equipment. Totally worth it, though.  Definitely made lap times at Charlotte a lot more consistent as you can actually see the apex on the long left hander before you exit the infield road course onto the oval.  Also way, way easier to race close with other guys.

Ive seen Roger Wong online but I don't think Ive run into any of you other guys.  Usually race in the 9:45 pm SRF race. I've been trying to run the NASA races but have been unsuccessful so far.  Brad, your setup looks crazy.  I cant wait to see it!

No way in hell I would ever want to race on that Charlotte road course for real. The exit of T1 into the infield... there is a very fine line between heroism and death. 

Oh, man. Charlotte road course.  I did a few SRF races. The infield feels like it's coated in oil. Or maybe all the turns are just off-camber. 

Just got my sim built and up and running. The inlaws got me some lowes gift cards for chirstmas, so I built a rig out of pvc. Used my stock miata drivers seat and sliders. 

I'm using a logitec g920(xbox g29) wheel/pedal set. I originally just planned to play forza for now, because the only computer I have is a macbook pro. iRacing subscriptions are half off right now, so I gave it a shot at running the game with the macbook in windows with bootcamp. To my suprise, the macbook pro does a fine job of running the game. It doesn't lag at all, even with the settings turned up.

Goodness, iracing is legit. The driving physics are so on point, in comparison to forza. Needless to say, I'll be exclusively playing iracing now. My plan is to use the mackbook and slowly acquire parts to build a good computer. I would like the option of running 3 tv's and/or the vr goggles.

The game should help me figure out which way COTA goes before my first weekend there in may with nasa.

Goodness, iracing is legit. The driving physics are so on point, in comparison to forza. Needless to say, I'll be exclusively playing iracing now. My plan is to use the mackbook and slowly acquire parts to build a good computer. I would like the option of running 3 tv's and/or the vr goggles.

The game should help me figure out which way COTA goes before my first weekend there in may with nasa.  

Yeah, as someone who grew up with Gran Turismo and Forza, I will say that it's really hard to go back to those after iRacing.  Assetto Corsa is another good sim with realistic physics.  I haven't tried them, but rFactor, Automobilista, and Raceroom also get good reviews and are legit sims.

What kinds of FPS are you running? You want to run 100+ for best performance. When I went from 40-50fps on a junk computer to 100+ it was worth a few tenths and some consistency.

I went and looked. All the car settings are set at high detail and crowd/grandstands at medium, with that I'm getting 65 fps to 85 fps. This is on my tv at 1080P/60HZ. I'm impressed with this little macbook. I only bought it for school and surfing the internet. It will totally get me by while I stockpile parts to build a good PC.