MX5#98

iRacing

I've been playing on and off with my Oculus Rift DK2 VR headset and I'm completely convinced that VR is going to be the future of racing simulation.  The consumer release of the Oculus (and competing HTC Vive) will be in the first part of this year.  I've played iRacing on a fancy multi-monitor cockpit and there's no way I'd want to go back to that, despite the developer kit VR headset being pretty poor quality overall.

It's the future.   The first time you crest the top of the hill at COTA in iRacing and look back over your left shoulder past the apex and through the turn one you'll get it.  Nothing else comes close.  Especially if you're viewing it as a way to accumulate seat time to improve your actual racing.  It triggers all the muscle memory and habit that you've built in the real cars in a way I've never really tapped into with just a monitor.

I have played on the beta Oculus and did not like it over a properly setup 179deg FOV triple monitor setup.  The beta Oculus just did not have the resolution.  Hopefully the consumer release will fix that.  I agree though in 2-5 years this will be the way to go.

Captain, I would recommend finding you a "sim builder" and paying them to put you one together.  This will give you the functionality and features you want, without any excess.  Hopefully they can understand your goals and desires and build you want you seek.  I have a friend that may be willing to build one for you.  Let me know and I can find out and put you in touch if he is interested.    

Just joined iRacing. Simcraft is in process of building the sim to my specs, looking forward to it!!

Question regarding wired/wifi connection - what speeds are you guys on and are you running hard-wired or wifi?

The room I'm setting it up in does not have an ethernet jack, going to try going with wifi at first - if I have to I'll run a hard wire to it. I've got Fios with the Quantum dual band (5ghz/2.4ghz) router, 75mbps/75mbps service. I did the ookla speed test last night with my laptop hard wired and the speeds were ~86mbps/85mbps. Then, I went into what will be the sim room and used the laptop on wifi and ran the test and the speeds were essentially the same (~85mbps/85mbps).

I run hardwired, but iRacing is not too bandwidth heavy, so I guess it would likely run just fine (ie. with no performance loss) with a good signal.

Welcome to sim racing.  The funny thing is the more I learn to push these virtual cars to the limits the more I don't like sim racing.  I have a nice stationary rig and there simply is no physical feedback to balance a car on limits.  Its just frustrating to me.  I am comfortable with a real car, exceeding limits, catching the car and playing that balancing game, but with my sim rig there is nothing for me to work with (short of the poor feedback from the G27 steering wheel).  Its still a great tool for learning tracks, but I am loosing confidence in its ability as a tool to teach me to drive.  

Thank you, Bryan - I saw one of your posts in the Texas Club section on the iRacing forum - I'm Brad J Gross.

Regarding feedback, etc. - that's why I made the choice to go full motion...I am going to use it as a tool, I did not want something that would teach me bad habits, etc...will report back once I've got it up and running. But during my testing of full motion sims I felt like I was going down the right road.

Your connection speed/throughput is not as important as how quick it is.  Go back to speedtest.net and look at the ping time.  Run it again, and again, and again.  Note any differences, as in how much variance you have in that.  Less is better.

Think of it like this.  You have a car capable of hitting 200, and you have a Spec Miata, capable of significantly less.  Both lined up at the start line of a drag strip.  The tree runs down to the green and both cars launch.  The "faster" car stalls, but the Miata driver got his launch perfect since he was a Spec Miata driver used to their crazy starts.  The "faster" car gets restarted, relaunches, and screams down the strip to the finish, crossing the line three seconds after the Miata did.  The Miata crossed the line at 90 (just guessing...no idea what they're actually capable of in a 1/4 mile), while the faster car hit the speed trap at 180.

Latency can kill your performance in iRacing.  It's frustrating, but there's little you can do about it since most of the problem is downstream from you.  You send the packets out, and they're at the mercy of your ISP.  I actually changed to a different ISP based on ping times and iRacing.

-Michael

I run hardwired, but iRacing is not too bandwidth heavy, so I guess it would likely run just fine (ie. with no performance loss) with a good signal.

Welcome to sim racing.  The funny thing is the more I learn to push these virtual cars to the limits the more I don't like sim racing.  I have a nice stationary rig and there simply is no physical feedback to balance a car on limits.  Its just frustrating to me.  I am comfortable with a real car, exceeding limits, catching the car and playing that balancing game, but with my sim rig there is nothing for me to work with (short of the poor feedback from the G27 steering wheel).  Its still a great tool for learning tracks, but I am loosing confidence in its ability as a tool to teach me to drive.  

Tell me more about your feelings on using this as a driver training tool.  I run the Star Mazda series and i'm consistently about 1-1.5 seconds off pace from the top drivers in the series.  The top drivers always run a crazy loose setup with barely any rear DF and a ton of rear brake bias. I'm still working on the whole maintenance throttle to maximize balance and traction through turns, so i'm trying to figure out how much of that time difference is setup vs how much is pure driver skill. 

Tell me more about your feelings on using this as a driver training tool.  I run the Star Mazda series and i'm consistently about 1-1.5 seconds off pace from the top drivers in the series.  The top drivers always run a crazy loose setup with barely any rear DF and a ton of rear brake bias. I'm still working on the whole maintenance throttle to maximize balance and traction through turns, so i'm trying to figure out how much of that time difference is setup vs how much is pure driver skill. 

I felt it did a great job preparing me for COTA this past weekend.  After a multitude of hours on the sim, I pretty well had the track memorized, so one less thing to manage at the event.  Could I match my iRacing Miata 2:43 laptimes? Nope!  I was driving a nicely prepared E30 and by Sunday, I was running consistently in the 2:47's, several seconds off the hot shoes in our class.  My guess is much of this difference is in the tires, the rest is the fact the there is no monetary loss for crashing that virtual Miata. ;)  Overall, I feel there was good translation between the virtual COTA and the real COTA (besides not truly realizing the actual degree of elevation change).  I did really struggle in real-life with T19, so I plan to go back and experiment in iRacing with T19 and see what I can change up to prevent from understeering all the way down the hill.  :)

I felt it did a great job preparing me for COTA this past weekend.  After a multitude of hours on the sim, I pretty well had the track memorized, so one less thing to manage at the event.  Could I match my iRacing Miata 2:43 laptimes? Nope!  I was driving a nicely prepared E30 and by Sunday, I was running consistently in the 2:47's, several seconds off the hot shoes in our class.  My guess is much of this difference is in the tires, the rest is the fact the there is no monetary loss for crashing that virtual Miata. ;)  Overall, I feel there was good translation between the virtual COTA and the real COTA (besides not truly realizing the actual degree of elevation change).  I did really struggle in real-life with T19, so I plan to go back and experiment in iRacing with T19 and see what I can change up to prevent from understeering all the way down the hill.  :)

The car only needs to get back to the middle of the track, not far right.  And start turning early - if you wait till you can see the apex you will be late.  And abuse the heck out of the orange curbing.  I was all wrong on this corner till we did the track walk Friday night with Eric.  I never really nailed 19 during my stint, mostly cause I struggled turning in before I could see the apex.

The Star Mazda is a different beast than all the other cars.  I don't drive it anything like I would any other car.  It's a great car to drive, and I drove the series for close to a year, but it took a while for me to get rid of some of the bad habits I got from that car.

BTW, every Tuesday and Thursday night there is a hosted session with random tracks/cars that is put on by NASA.  Starts at 7:00pm cst.  1h20m practice, 10m qual, and 30m race.  Tonight is Star Mazda at COTA.  The host is usually either Richard Wooten or Will Faules, so look for one of them as the host or look for NASA in the session name.

The Star Mazda is a different beast than all the other cars. I don't drive it anything like I would any other car. It's a great car to drive, and I drove the series for close to a year, but it took a while for me to get rid of some of the bad habits I got from that car.

Would you mind elaborating on some of those bad habits?

Basically just throwing the car into the corners and mashing the gas to get it out of the corner from what I remember.  I'm not sure if that was due to the old tire model or what, but everyone I talked to agreed you had to drive it different.  Hop on the hosted session tonight and we can chat.  I'm Kevin Jander.

Folks still enjoying iRacing? My subscription ran out. Thinking of starting it back up again.

Hey Michael - I just dove headfirst into sim racing a couple weeks ago.  So far, I have built the PC and have an Oculus Rift CV1 on preorder.  I have the wheel, pedals, shifter, and stand arriving in the next week or so.  Just subscribed to iRacing for a year.  Looking forward to some intense racing!  Here are my specs in case anyone is curious:

PC:

i5 6600

Radeon R9 390

8GB RAM

250GB SSD

1TB HDD

Wheel & Stand:

Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara Edition

Thrustmaster T3PA pedals (3-pedal set)

Thrustmaster TH8A shifter (7-speed gated shifter with adapter for sequential shifts)

Next Level Racing Wheel Stand

Using a stock NC Miata seat for now

Pretty excited to get this going.  I'll be using my single monitor for a while until my Oculus arrives (slated for delivery this summer).  Hope to see some of you guys in iRacing.

Which car were you in at WRL?  I was in the GP2 BMW E36 325i.  Unfortunately we were involved in one of the car to car incidents on Saturday that resulted in a red flag.  We rebuilt it and ran well on Sunday until we had tire issues.

56c958821e3a5_4th_over_all.jpg

I recently assembled an iRacing rig and did a lot of iRacing laps of COTA in the MX5.  I can run 2:42's on iRacing in the MX5, but I found it easier to lap in the GP2 car with similar lap times.  I noticed some things that didn't translate well, but overall I think iRacing did a lot to make me comfortable getting in the car in real life.  Honestly, had it not been for the time in iRacing, I would have been concerned about hopping in the car on Sunday as I didn't get to drive any on Saturday because of our wreck and it had been several years since I have driven COTA.

In contrast, our slowest driver on the team at WRL was the fastest on iRacing.  He can do 2:41's in iRacing, but was 4-5 seconds off the pace of our other drivers in real life.  To be fair of our drivers, he has the least seat time on real tracks.  Based on our experience, I'd say that iRacing can definitely help prepare you for a track, but it is not a direct replacement for seat time.

-bj 

I agree that comparing laptimes to real life cars probably isn't a good comparison. As far as developing a driver, how far do you think iracing will get me?

This week's edition of Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets Weekly discusses using sims to help with the mental game. Subscription is cheap; look it up.