Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

iRacing

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

vchengap

vchengap

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationDallas
  • Track Vehicle:'08 Miata

New Porsche 911 GT3 Cup car released today!   There went my productivity this afternoon.

Anyone down for some laps?  I will host a session tonight if anyone wants to join.  Maybe @ Daytona?

Wish I could join.  Unfortunately life is getting in the way tonight.

clifton23

clifton23

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi, TX
  • Track Vehicle:99 M3

They did amazing on the Porsche.  It is a blast to drive..  One of the first cars in iRacing that I can actually catch a slide in.

savowood

savowood

His ears have a paisley lining.

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationAustin
  • Track Vehicle:2000 Boxsera, 2013 BMW 135i, 1978 911

I've been having a blast with the new 911.  It's probably the most realistic of all the cars in the sim/game.  The tire model is much better than it used to be, and the car's handling is pretty close to real.  The brakes are a bit of a challenge, but once you have it, you can be very fast.  I did one race at Bathurst and one race at Interlagos, and even though I qualified 8th and 2nd, I won both.  It's really all about being smooth, so that part of reality kicks in.

If anyone is up for some racing, I might be convinced to jump in at some point to have a go with you.

-Michael

Four baskets of innocent kittens were harmed in the production of this post.

560a0f2dd4521_BodymotionBannersmall.png

"You can think I'm wrong but that's no reason to quit thinking."

clifton23

clifton23

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCorpus Christi, TX
  • Track Vehicle:99 M3

I've been having a blast with the new 911.  It's probably the most realistic of all the cars in the sim/game.  The tire model is much better than it used to be, and the car's handling is pretty close to real.  The brakes are a bit of a challenge, but once you have it, you can be very fast.  I did one race at Bathurst and one race at Interlagos, and even though I qualified 8th and 2nd, I won both.  It's really all about being smooth, so that part of reality kicks in.

If anyone is up for some racing, I might be convinced to jump in at some point to have a go with you.

-Michael

The brakes are what kill me.  I have to practice more before I start official races.  

dizzy8085

dizzy8085

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2012 mx5

The brakes are what kill me.  I have to practice more before I start official races.  

Change the setup. Moving the brake bias around really helps the braking. 

There's some good setups on the iracing forums. 

2012 mx5 track rat

Tomtom

Tomtom

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Track Vehicle:1997 miata

589e4202814db_IMG_0336.jpg589e4235ac05b_IMG_0335.jpghey campers i got my rig together last week finally.. was  a iracer in 08 and left in 09ish.. back now .. its much better, do wish they would put TWS on just for historical relavance.

tom schnorr here.. maybe we could post our iracing names so we could see who's on for quick hosting sessions.

1997 Miata Zebra #488  

2011 Z06 Gray 

Austin Compounding Pharmacy

Austin Texas

512-659-6953

vchengap

vchengap

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationDallas

hey campers i got my rig together last week finally.. was  a iracer in 08 and left in 09ish.. back now .. its much better, do wish they would put TWS on just for historical relavance.

tom schnorr here.. maybe we could post our iracing names so we could see who's on for quick hosting sessions.

Nice rig.  I have the same PC case but in black.  My iracing name is Vijeth Chengappa.  I usually putz around in the Global MX5 races a couple times a week.  Been driving the new Porsche too.

I may have met you a few days ago at the D.E. event at Cresson.  You were driving the zebra Miata, correct?

BryanPendleton

BryanPendleton

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2001 C5, 1999 SM

589e4202814db_IMG_0336.jpg589e4235ac05b_IMG_0335.jpghey campers i got my rig together last week finally.. was  a iracer in 08 and left in 09ish.. back now .. its much better, do wish they would put TWS on just for historical relavance.

Very nice setup, but I will make the following suggestion to increase the immersion factor significantly.  Bring the side monitors in 60 degrees from the plane of the center monitor.  Your monitors are at a very shallow angle right now and the FOV (field of view) on the software side does not match their actual physical FOV and this takes away from the realism.  I went from 45 to 60 and it made a big difference in the FOV (field of view) and since of immersion. Yours will have an even more profound effect.  Attached is a spreadsheet that you can use to visualize and calculate your software FOV based on your physical monitor setup.  Your inputs will be the yellow cells only.  You can experiment with the inputs to achieve a software and hardware FOV that is more desirable.  I have mine setup to so that I have both a physical and software FOV of about 175-degrees.  

The one down side is that the monitors wrap around you, so ingress and egress can be challenging, depending on your seat arrangement.  Another plus though is that your rig WIDTH will reduce significantly.

Attached Files

apex17

apex17

Track Enthusiast

• Junkies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:E46 M3

What sim rig setup is this?  What size monitors?

Thanks,

Dan

RobElliot

RobElliot

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2004 Mustang GT (Previously: 2011 SRT8 Challenger)

Renewed my Iracing subscription on Monday after a 1yr hiatus. That Audi 90 GTO is awesome! Manual, turbo flutter, big power, Awesome!  

www.TheFahst.com 

'The Fahst is Coming!'

HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Locationsan antonio
  • Track Vehicle:2010 Evo X

Renewed my Iracing subscription on Monday after a 1yr hiatus. That Audi 90 GTO is awesome! Manual, turbo flutter, big power, Awesome!  

I too love that car! But i feel they got the dampers all wrong and they should have allowed you to change settings with the front diff. The two biggest weak points of the car, other than that its a blast!

Finishing up my season in the skippy and i'll be moving to F1.  Not sure if that's the best idea or not..... but i've been wanting to get in F1 since i began the service. 

dizzy8085

dizzy8085

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationHouston

Have y'all driven the porsche yet? It's so fun! I feel the tires feel the most like real life tires. I like that the brakes aren't superhuman, therefore the brake points are closer to where you would brake in cars we drive in real life. 

2012 mx5 track rat

vchengap

vchengap

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationDallas

Have y'all driven the porsche yet? It's so fun! I feel the tires feel the most like real life tires. I like that the brakes are superhuman, therefore the brake points are closer to where you would brake in cars we drive in real life.

The Porsche is a ton of fun and I agree that the tire model feels accurate. Blasting through the 'Ring in this car is nirvana.

RobElliot

RobElliot

Track Addict

• Junkies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:2004 Mustang GT (Previously: 2011 SRT8 Challenger)

I too love that car! But i feel they got the dampers all wrong and they should have allowed you to change settings with the front diff. The two biggest weak points of the car, other than that its a blast!

Finishing up my season in the skippy and i'll be moving to F1.  Not sure if that's the best idea or not..... but i've been wanting to get in F1 since i began the service. 

I've started back in the Skippys as well. Seems to be a pretty competitive league. Damn hard to drive those cars 'fast' though.

Have y'all driven the porsche yet? It's so fun! I feel the tires feel the most like real life tires. I like that the brakes aren't superhuman, therefore the brake points are closer to where you would brake in cars we drive in real life. 

I've done just one session in the Porsche. Seems pretty sweet. I've been demoted to D class as I haven't raced in so long, but my safety rating is high, and only need one more race to bump me back up. Maybe I'll race the GT3s next season.

I've added a bunch of you who I know, or figured out, the name of. Search Robert Elliot for me. It still says I'm in Australia/NZ club. The red Challenger is my profile pic.

www.TheFahst.com 

'The Fahst is Coming!'

blk96gt

blk96gt

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • LocationKingwood, Tx
  • Track Vehicle:CMC 96 Mustang GT

Maybe I'll race the GT3s next season.

I've added a bunch of you who I know, or figured out, the name of. Search Robert Elliot for me. It still says I'm in Australia/NZ club. The red Challenger is my profile pic.

Don't do it!  I did GT3 the first couple seasons, and as long as you're close to the front in the top split the racing is generally good.  Once you get mid pack or in the bottom split it gets pretty awful.

I did a few races this season in the Audi and it was a blast.  Sadly the Nissan:Audi ratio is awful now, and there's only a handful of Audi's that are running anymore.  I started driving the Lotus 79 this week and it's great.  The community seems good and there's 6-7 SoF races per week.  Probably going to do a full season after the current one is over.

Feel free to add me.  Kevin Jander.

dizzy8085

dizzy8085

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationHouston

The the porsche 991 gt3 cup is where it's at. Every race is packed. I'm out this week though, because I don't have the le mans track and it seems like it would be boring in the gt3 cup. 

2012 mx5 track rat