MX5#98

iRacing

What are your thoughts on Simraceway compared to iRacing?

Very comparable so far. Simraceway has CotA, and it's not limited to F1 cars, that's what got me to play with it. (and it's free!)

I heard of a new one called "Project Cars" that got great reviews via youtube vids but can't seem to find the link to purchase or download.

Project Cars is still under development. If you bought in and supported the game early on, you can download new builds and basically play an Alpha version of the game while under development.

Ok, I've sent friend requests out to everyone in this thread. I have to say that I'm pretty addicted to this game right now. It can be frustrating sometimes because of the actions of other racers. But I'm going through the Skip Barber book "Going Faster" right now and it's a lot of fun to read a few chapters and then get online and practice in a real sim with real pedals. This is definitely a step up from GT5.

MX

Just wanted to let everyone know that iRacing will be releasing a laser scanned version of COTA on April 29th, 2014. I will purchase it right away and post a video here so folks can see what it looks like and compare to their real world experiences on the track. Stay tuned.

For those that haven't signed on in a while, the new RUF Porsches are awesome.  A number of other cars received updated tire models as well.

Yeah, I mostly just drive the MX5s. But I plan on buying the RUF C-Spec immediately. Looks like fun.

I prefer the RUF 'Track', but will drive either of them.  It's hard to go between them though.  The 1,000 RPM lower redline and no anti-lock brakes on the C-Spec takes a bit to get used to when coming from the Track Spec.  In all honesty the RUF 'Track' feels the most similar to driving my real car on track.

Hit me up when you buy one of the Porsches (or all? used to be able to get them all in one package).  I've got a bunch of good setups for the RUF Track and a few for the C-Spec.

I prefer the RUF 'Track', but will drive either of them.  It's hard to go between them though.  The 1,000 RPM lower redline and no anti-lock brakes on the C-Spec takes a bit to get used to when coming from the Track Spec.  In all honesty the RUF 'Track' feels the most similar to driving my real car on track.

Hit me up when you buy one of the Porsches (or all? used to be able to get them all in one package).  I've got a bunch of good setups for the RUF Track and a few for the C-Spec.

Awesome, thanks.

Please share your setups.  I finally got the stupid Mustang set up like I want it, but I'm just not enamored with the tracks they've been throwing at us lately.  Road America this week is pretty good, but it so looooooooooong.

-Michael

(iRacing - Michael Johnson21)

Yeah, I don't race the Mustang. I pretty much stick with the MX5. But I'm thinking of getting a few others. Top on my list is the RUFs, followed by the Radical SR8, the Spec Racer Ford and the Skip Barber Formula 2000. That ought to keep me busy for a couple of years. But if there were a group of guys interested in racing Mustangs, I'd pick one up. 

As you've probably noticed, they screw you on the tracks. Each season, it's a slightly different set of tracks which forces you to buy content if you want to compete all season. It's quite the racket. That's why I keep rooting for the competition. But so far ... 

Just sent you a friend request Michael.  I've got a somewhat decent setup for the Mustang, but have only tinkered with it a bit since it went to the NTM due to driving the RUF all the time.  Next time I see Todd Honczarenko on I'll get him to send me his setup again.  His are usually pretty damn good (and much better than the crap I come up with).

I had a great setup for the SRF, but haven't driven it in a while so not sure how they are for the current builds.  I have a couple setups for the SR8 as well.

The funny thing with the SRF is how track dependent it is.  You can almost ignore the tire temps.  I've had oddball setups like 38 psi in the front and 19 in the rear, with the offset bouncing all over the place.  At Silverstone it would be fantastic with it, then going to Road America, completely bonkers off the chart bad.

We should all start sharing setups.  It'll be interesting to see how they compare.  We could even learn some from each other.  I like the setup I have on the Ruf C-Spec, but the others are bad.  I'm lucky to keep it pointed in the right direction half the time.

-Michael

I do a lot of fixed setup racing ... so I'm not sure how much I will be able to help in the beginning. But I will dip a toe into the tuning arena and share what I'm able to learn.

Actually, Michael, I think the thing that would help me the most is your process for tweaking your setups. I am pretty good at tuning a car in Gran Turismo. But I notice a lot of that does not translate well to iRacing. I've been trying to pay close attention to my tire temperatures. But I really feel like I am trying to navigate in darkness with this stuff. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.