MX5#98

ECR Personal Best Times

41 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

So will T14!! On the old layout I used changes in pavement, cracks, squiggles, etc. as reference points...this time, it's ALL fresh, so it will be a learning experience!

Yeah, I struggled with setting reference points since everything there is still so clean. Didn’t want to use skid marks since those were changing lap to lap, so trying to set visual cues on sight lines and getting my car’s weight shifted at just the right time to make my moves was daunting. 

Matt - you will be faster!! And get even faster!

I seriously cannot stress enough how important fresh brake pads and race fluid are at ECR...I run Pagid pads with Alcon rotors and calipers and Castrol SRF fluid. I've also got a butt-ton of cooling...remember that my TA2 car has to run a 15" wheel...there's not a lot of room for brakes...we have it maximized to the TA2 ruleset for what we can run. I also do a lot of trail braking and use the brakes to balance the car...so...during the Chin Happy Hour I ran a straight full hour with no issues, granted, this was not at race pace but I made respectable laps and stayed out there the whole time...27 straight laps.

17 hours ago, BobKid said:

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway - Oct 18, 2020

Lap Time: 2:12.72 (Aim Solo)

Ambient temperature: 75, Sunny, Breezy

Car: 2001 BMW M Coupe

Estimated weight with driver: 3200 lbs

Estimated whp: ~300 WHP

Tires: NT01s

First weekend on the Italian Canyon and I’m in love. Did 2 weekends last Fall on the short track, and while it is fun, there just isn’t much variation. That is NOT a problem on the big layout. I was lucky and chased some fast drivers around on Saturday and tried out about every line I could until I started to get a feel for the layout. Car was setup loose this weekend, so I did a lot of sliding around and about wasted a fairly new set of NT01s in the process, but now I know where there’s grip and where I need to wait it out until the tires hook up. 

It’ll be a day or two before I get a video up, but I’ll post it when my slow phone finishes it’s upload.  

And here's the shaky as hell video. I really need to get a better phone mount.

First lap is the 2:12.72 followed by a couple of more almost as quick (6 laps in a row were all under 2:14 this session). Saw the Corvette I'd been trying to chase down all weekend about 2-3 laps into this video when he was just cruising a couple of easy laps, and tried to sneak up before he saw me. Once he did though he took off and I was stupid enough to try and stay with him, which is how I ended up smoothing out the rocks between 9 and 10.

As you can see, lots of room for improvement, especially in hitting the same marks lap after lap. Any feedback or input is highly appreciated.

24 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

Matt - you will be faster!! And get even faster!

I seriously cannot stress enough how important fresh brake pads and race fluid are at ECR...I run Pagid pads with Alcon rotors and calipers and Castrol SRF fluid. I've also got a butt-ton of cooling...remember that my TA2 car has to run a 15" wheel...there's not a lot of room for brakes...we have it maximized to the TA2 ruleset for what we can run. I also do a lot of trail braking and use the brakes to balance the car...so...during the Chin Happy Hour I ran a straight full hour with no issues, granted, this was not at race pace but I made respectable laps and stayed out there the whole time...27 straight laps.

Thx.  I've always been pretty easy on brakes, especially having to learn to manage the stock 1982 brake setup in the RX7 with 2x the factory hp...  however, this car weighs more and has another 130hp than the Nissan I last drove at ECR.  new pads sitting in the garage, and I need to get spare rotors on order.   it's currently got some 12.2" Wilwoods on them, but I'll be replacing them with Colemans and see if I can find a bracket to install these calipers onto a 13" rotor at same time.  for this weekend, I'll just be making laps and learning new car and track.

Bob - I saw you changing your marks between laps....that's good though...I watched a lap and a half...you need a better phone mount LOL!! That's all I could take...I felt like I was at Sebring LOL!! Just a few little corrections will have huge improvements...this is only based on the first 1.5 laps...tidy up your lines in a few spots, get on the gas a tad earlier if you can...happy to ride with you next time you're out...

@Matt93SE  @BobKid

Y'all check this out, might be helpful:

https://eaglescanyon.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Turn-by-Turn-ITALIAN-CANYON.pdf

Also, if you go here you can see each turn with more info...just mouse over each one:

https://eaglescanyon.com/track/

Thanks sir!  will look at it when I'm closer to ready to actually drive.   Still spending money like a drunken sailor trying to get parts ready that I've been postponing since labor day!

2 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Bob - I saw you changing your marks between laps....that's good though...I watched a lap and a half...you need a better phone mount LOL!! That's all I could take...I felt like I was at Sebring LOL!! Just a few little corrections will have huge improvements...this is only based on the first 1.5 laps...tidy up your lines in a few spots, get on the gas a tad earlier if you can...happy to ride with you next time you're out...

Yeah, I readily admit the video quality sucks. But I'll also say the view isn't much more stable in real time. My car isn't exactly the smoothest thing rolling around out there. 😄

New ECR is not as hard on the brakes as old ECR, which I thought was ridiculous. E.g. as PCA yellow driver I took .160-.180" of REAR brake pads off in one day with my very nose heavy Mustang.

Yes, its still hard on brakes, but not nearly like  old beast. New 6-7-8-9-10 are fantastic experience and are a big relief for the brakes, but its not a track to take chances or stretch wear. E,g, back straight is nearly as long as COTAs. Good news that its is so easy on the tires. In 2020, I've driven ECR mostly, and my brake bill exceeds my tire bill. Good deal. 

On 10/19/2020 at 3:59 PM, Captain Buddha said:

@Matt93SE  @BobKid

Y'all check this out, might be helpful:

https://eaglescanyon.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Turn-by-Turn-ITALIAN-CANYON.pdf

Also, if you go here you can see each turn with more info...just mouse over each one:

https://eaglescanyon.com/track/

1150 ish laps since repave, and IMHO their description is spot on. Only modest adjustments for car type e.g. all handling no power may tighten up T6, T8-9, and T14. My pig needs to diamond T14 and mega late apex T5 and T14. But can't go wrong with the company line.

BTW. Backwards (CW) rocks on the 1.65. T14 entry is TOUGH, but surprising grip once the car settles out after entry. Can't wait to run the full course CW. See you Saturday.

@El_Tortuga, thanks for the replies and confirmation.   New pads are installed (I have like 5 or 6 sets in the garage), so that's not a big deal.   new (backup) rotors should be here today so I'll have them in the trailer when needed.

Will definitely review the description and watch more video before I go out.  It's been several years, but I still remember the old track.  mostly I remember the headache after the race from my helmet bouncing off everything inside the car.  The new layout will be interesting to compare and drive with the new car.   every track seems more challenging when you have 2x the power you did last time you drove it. 🙂

14 hours ago, El_Tortuga said:

1150 ish laps since repave, and IMHO their description is spot on. Only modest adjustments for car type e.g. all handling no power may tighten up T6, T8-9, and T14. My pig needs to diamond T14 and mega late apex T5 and T14. But can't go wrong with the company line.

BTW. Backwards (CW) rocks on the 1.65. T14 entry is TOUGH, but surprising grip once the car settles out after entry. Can't wait to run the full course CW. See you Saturday.

So, so, so looking forward to CW!! Saturday is going to be awesome! I'll be instructing for the lead/follow in my C7Z and then running the beast in the afternoon, fun day!!

2 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

@El_Tortuga, thanks for the replies and confirmation.   New pads are installed (I have like 5 or 6 sets in the garage), so that's not a big deal.   new (backup) rotors should be here today so I'll have them in the trailer when needed.

Will definitely review the description and watch more video before I go out.  It's been several years, but I still remember the old track.  mostly I remember the headache after the race from my helmet bouncing off everything inside the car.  The new layout will be interesting to compare and drive with the new car.   every track seems more challenging when you have 2x the power you did last time you drove it. 🙂

It's like buttah...like lobstah with buttah....smooooooooth!!

5 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

So, so, so looking forward to CW!! Saturday is going to be awesome! I'll be instructing for the lead/follow in my C7Z and then running the beast in the afternoon, fun day!!

A first for me...adding to the fun of the C7Z and the TA2 Dale...the crew found the (hopeful) source of a recurring gremlin in the Monte / Country Dale...#7 coil pack goes to heck when it gets hot...also a broken cam sensor...so...I'll run a session to verify / confirm that the issues are fixed...then a buddy is buying it for his son...he will have two Montes!! But running 3 cars in one day...yee haw!! LOL!!

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 2.0 2.7 mile full course CW - Oct 25,, 2020

Lap Time: 2.15.126 (Aim Solo)

Ambient temperature: 57, Sunny, Calm

Car: 2014 Mustang GT

Estimated weight with driver: 3935 lbs

Estimated whp: 365-385 HP

Tires: Hankook RS-4s 305/30/19 (1000-1200 laps)

Social Distancing Done Right!!!

I got to drive the Eagles Canyon full 2.7 mile course backwards (clockwise) for the first time. Fun stuff to learn new courses. Its such a different animal in the other direction. The elevation changes are more impactful, blind corners and more downhill corner entries are TOUGH! I'm learning where you can go, and where to be slow to go fast. Nearly perfect conditions. 57 degrees, sunny, and no wind. Beautiful day to be at the track.

A lot of errors (e.g. fat-footing the accelerator into 15 (1st turn here), some mechanical challenges like a new rear springs and swaybar, wheel hopping while braking into 5 (scary) and the long brake pedal travel inherent with 6-piston Brembos, and struggles with "fortitude". Overall, I'm very pleased with this starting point.

As always a work in progress.

Very nice - you had the big girl dancing ***really*** well!! I REALLY LOVE running ECR CW....it's a BLAST! Yes, definitely a test of testicular fortitude in certain places!! It's amazing how much speed can be carried into T10! Wheeee!! We members need to request at least a once a month full course CW day!

On the brake pedal travel - have you tried doing a quick pedal pump or two/three while on the straights (with left foot, don't let off the throttle, keep it pegged), just before your hard braking? It's something I do on EVERY straight away....basically I'm "cueing up" the brakes (to account for any pad knock back from hopping curbs, etc) as well as testing them....and, if I ever get a soft pedal - doing this helps you keep pace instead of calling it a day.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:06 AM, Captain Buddha said:

Very nice - you had the big girl dancing ***really*** well!! I REALLY LOVE running ECR CW....it's a BLAST! Yes, definitely a test of testicular fortitude in certain places!! It's amazing how much speed can be carried into T10! Wheeee!! We members need to request at least a once a month full course CW day!

On the brake pedal travel - have you tried doing a quick pedal pump or two/three while on the straights (with left foot, don't let off the throttle, keep it pegged), just before your hard braking? It's something I do on EVERY straight away....basically I'm "cueing up" the brakes (to account for any pad knock back from hopping curbs, etc) as well as testing them....and, if I ever get a soft pedal - doing this helps you keep pace instead of calling it a day.

Good point on tapping brakes in straightaways. I had gotten away from that and I'm definitely into using the apex curbs to straighten out the course. T13, T8, T2 especially. And I can't seem to keep from being too greedy on T1 exit so I'll hit that exit curb some. Doh!

First weekend here.  WHEEEE  This track is a blast!

Lap Time: 2.08.54 (Race Monitor)
Ambient temperature: 70ish, partly cloudy, stiff breeze from the east.
Car: 2013 Ssion FR-S
Weight with driver: 2900 lbs
Whp: 265 HP
Tires: Hoosier R7, 245/40/17, 10+ heat cycles

ECR 2.7 CCW 

CAR: 2018 cayman GTS 

WEIGHT: Approx. 3100 lbs 

power: stock

mods: none apart from brake fluid, RS-4s 

time: 2:15.6 ( Porsche track precision app) 

lots of time to gain. Personal best time so far with this one being my 4th day here at this track. Appreciate any feedback and/or comments. 

cheers!

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 2.7 Italian Canyon - December 19, 2020
Lap Time: 2:12.9 (AIM Solo2)
Ambient temperature: 50 degrees F
Car: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Estimated weight with driver: 2900 lb
Estimated whp: 178 RWHP
Tires: 255/40-17 Falken Azenis RT600

First day on new tires, the Falkens felt great and put up with 30min sessions pretty well. Conditions were pretty good and traffic was light enough to set some good laps. I would have loved to do the last couple of laps of the session, but I ran out of gas.

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 2.0 2.7 mile full course CCW - Dec 26,, 2020

Lap Time: 2.11.585 (Aim Solo)

Ambient temperature: 51, Sunny, Calm

Car: 2014 Mustang GT

Estimated weight with driver: 3935 lbs

Estimated whp: 365-385 HP

Tires: Hankook RS-4s 305/30/19 

Decent drive, but really its more about ideal conditions with relatively fresh tires that allow me to drop a full second on PB. Theoretical was a 2:10.2, confirming that 10s are within range.

I went back to my old rear spring setup (softer springs and bigger sway), so no more braking wheelhop. Yaye. However, the bigger bar compromises the exit of T5 and T14 with the right rear tire hiked up in the air the torsen goes open.  Still battling pad knockback, but straight line tapping insures good pedal in the next corner.

On the brakes too early for 3, a bit slow in T6, and washed T11 too wide. I'm feeling like I could do a better job keeping the nose set trailing into T3,T5, T11, and T15. Next step is to get back off the Hawks and reset baseline. 

As always, a work in progress.

Joe: good seeing you on Saturday, what a beauty of a day!! You keep on looking better and better out there! What adjustments do you have on your shocks? Reason I ask - any way to go with a little less rebound on the front? ie - once the front is set, that should help keep the weight on the nose a little better for trailing in. 

16 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

Joe: good seeing you on Saturday, what a beauty of a day!! You keep on looking better and better out there! What adjustments do you have on your shocks? Reason I ask - any way to go with a little less rebound on the front? ie - once the front is set, that should help keep the weight on the nose a little better for trailing in. 

Thanks Brad. Good seeing you too. Fronts are non-adjustable unfortunately. I'm gonna have to be better at dragging brake more to the apex.