Sign in to follow this  
MX5#98

ECR Personal Best Times

Had a blast driving back to back sessions at the Chin ECR event yesterday!!

Date: March 17, 2018, ~1:20 pm
Lap time 1:53.99 TraqDash
Car: 2003 Monte Carlo GTA/GT2
Power 420 RWHP
Tires 27x10-15 Hoosier Bias Ply Scrubs
Weight 2,920
Conditions 60s and windy/sunny

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway - March 31, 2018
Lap Time: 2:04.570 (Aim Solo)
Ambient temperature: 77 degrees and Sunny
Car: 2014 Mustang GT
Estimated weight with driver: 3900 lbs
Estimated whp: 365-385 HP
Tires: Falken 615K+ 315/30/18

Beautiful day. Had fun, solo'd my client and he did great, and set a new PB. Ran the SCCA Time Trials and for the first time, I drove like a time trailer. I.e. Bring it up to temperature, run 2 hard laps and quit. Worked out well enough. ECR is so long that temps are pretty good on first flying lap and its not really a rhythm course for me. Made progress, took some time out of 6-7 especially. More to be had. After nearly cooking it early, I sucked in T11 all day. Can't contain myself in 1 so 2 isn't optimized. T8 is still a challenge. Early turn-ins in general. Etc. But feeling a lot better about my ability to get around this joint. My goal was a 2:04 and I did that twice and a couple of mid 5s to back it up. Theoretical is now 2:02 so I'm gaining ground.

As always a work in progress.

https://youtu.be/e5yiLt_-tn8

Lap Time: 2:06.54 (AIM Solo2)
Ambient temperature: 75 degrees
Car: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Estimated weight with driver: 2900 lb
Estimated whp: 178 RWHP
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/40r17

I started the morning on my Falken Azenis 615k+ and swapped to my RE71r's for the last couple of sessions after lunch. The Bridgestones were 1-2s faster. Unfortunately, my transponder fell off during the second lap of my 4th session and missed my fastest runs in the 5th (all my hot laps were under 2:08 that session). I also accidentally left my camera on (but not recording) after the 4th session so I didn't get any video. 

Here's my fastest filmed lap on the Falkens (starts at 11:11)

https://youtu.be/ybCVEmh9vqw?t=11m11s

Lap Time: 2:06.54 (AIM Solo2)

Ambient temperature: 75 degrees

Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 255/40r17

I started the morning on my Falken Azenis 615k+ and swapped to my RE71r's for the last couple of sessions after lunch. The Bridgestones were 1-2s faster. Unfortunately, my transponder fell off during the second lap of my 4th session and missed my fastest runs in the 5th (all my hot laps were under 2:08 that session). I also accidentally left my camera on (but not recording) after the 4th session so I didn't get any video. 

Here's my fastest filmed lap on the Falkens (starts at 11:11)

https://youtu.be/ybCVEmh9vqw?t=11m11s

Nice job Sam. Impressive times for the hp.

Thanks for the compare on the 'stones vs Falkens. Except for the last session (when it cooled down - too bad I was already in R&R mode), I'm thinking the track itself was a little slower in the PM so the 'stones might be a touch better than indicated. I'm not sure if I hate hearing that the RE71s are a couple of seconds quicker (because I don't want to pay for that kind of wear), or I like hearing that they are a couple of seconds quicker (and that I would be faster with them on).

Thanks for the compare on the 'stones vs Falkens. Except for the last session (when it cooled down - too bad I was already in R&R mode), I'm thinking the track itself was a little slower in the PM so the 'stones might be a touch better than indicated. I'm not sure if I hate hearing that the RE71s are a couple of seconds quicker (because I don't want to pay for that kind of wear), or I like hearing that they are a couple of seconds quicker (and that I would be faster with them on).

Thanks! David put down his fastest in the last session and he ran the stones all day, so I think they were still in the sweet spot temperature wise. My data showed there is about a second left, but ill have to work like hell to find it.

I still really like the Falkens on track, they just are a little slower. All my time comes from cornering, so I'm more sensitive to grip levels. Your difference between the Falkens and stones could be less.

Mark told me his car likes a tire that lets him slide a little and that he doesn't benefit as much from sticky tires.

Thanks for the compare on the 'stones vs Falkens. Except for the last session (when it cooled down - too bad I was already in R&R mode), I'm thinking the track itself was a little slower in the PM so the 'stones might be a touch better than indicated. I'm not sure if I hate hearing that the RE71s are a couple of seconds quicker (because I don't want to pay for that kind of wear), or I like hearing that they are a couple of seconds quicker (and that I would be faster with them on).

I went back out to ECR yesterday on the Falkens and managed a 2:06.7, it was a bit windy but the temps were in the mid 50's so conditions were similar (maybe a little better this time). So, maybe the Falkens are closer than I thought (I'm still giving the RE71's a second on the Falkens).

https://youtu.be/eWw9QkmJdrc?t=21m57s

Eagles Canyon CCW Lap time: 2:08.69 VBox Driftbox

Date: June 16, 2018

Car: 2016 Scion FRS

Weight with driver: ~3000 lbs (never scaled)

RWHP: Stock

Tires: 225/45-17 RE71R

Estimated temp: ~85

Stock car - exceptions:

225/45-17 Bridgestone RE71R

Power Stop Track Day brake pads

ATE TYP200 brake fluid

Single upper crash bolts

Haven't been on ECR since 2011 - it was bumpy then and doesn't seem much different now!   

Brake pads have got to go - ran limited time without really pressing it in the braking zones and still destroyed set of pads in short order.  Time to try something new!

Car does well on ECR - I was leaving a lot of time in many places - much due to trying different lines to find the least 'unsettling' bumps.  Car has 2:06's in it easy.  Just need another day to figure track out with better pads and should be there!

5b286f956c27b_ECRCircuitTools.png

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway - June 23, 2018
Lap Time: 2:09.329 (Track Addict)
Ambient temperature: 96 degrees
Car: 2013 MX-5 Miata
Estimated weight with driver: 2725 lb
Estimated whp: stock, 168 at the crank
Tires: Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40r17

I had a lone 2:09 lap during the first session of the day under nearly ideal conditions.  That was my first time below 2:10.  Then in the final session of the day, after 4pm under HOT conditions, I managed three more back-to-back 2:09s, culminating with this 2:09.3.  Fun day.

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway - July 15, 2018

Lap Time: 2:10.61 (Harry's)
Car: 2017 Miata MX-5
Ambient on-track temperature: 103 degrees
Weight with driver: 2612 lb
Estimated rwhp: 165
Tires: Falken 615K+ 235/40-17

Stock seat

Damn hot day! Last day on these tires, they are done. Direzza ZIII's up next weekend. Heat cycle them on Friday and try them on Sunday. Hope to get in the 2:09s for the first time.

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway - July 21, 2018
Lap Time: 2:04.224 (Aim Solo)
Ambient temperature: 100 degrees!!!
Estimated weight with driver: 3900 lbs
Tires: Hankook Ventus RS-4s 305/30/19

Last time on ECR. Set new PB by a couple tenths in triple digit temperatures. Sure bodes well for when i get used to the RS4s and new brake setup. Left a bunch on the table. E.g. late to throttle in 2 and 4, short shifted between 5 and 6, broke way too early in 6, and too much in 9,more of the same early brake in 11. The big S550 6-piston Brembos are gonna be good when I get used to them.

Check out the improved runoff areas in corners 4-5, and the 9-10 canyon. Very confidence inspiring. Can't wait to see the repave and configuration enhancements.

https://youtu.be/VelzLYY3zYI

Track Name: Eagles Canyon Racey
Date: 7/28/2018
Lap Time: 2:14.84
Car: 2016 Cayman S
Total vehicle weight with driver: ~3400
Estimated wheel horsepower: ~325
Tire: Pirelli P Zero
Weather: 97℉ (probably hotter on track)

Not very fast — second time at this track and first with this car — but so much fun (even with the heat).

Track Name: Eagles Canyon Raceway
Lap Time: 2:08:776
Car: 2012 Corvette Base
Total vehicle weight with driver: ~3600
Estimated wheel horsepower: ~458
Tire: Nitto NT01

Weather: 99℉ 

It was hot AF! I haven't been on this track for a couple of years. Really wish I had more seat time before it changes, but what can we do. Had fun anyway!

Track Name: Eagles Canyon Raceway
Lap Time: 2:08:776
Car: 2012 Corvette Base
Total vehicle weight with driver: ~3600
Estimated wheel horsepower: ~458
Tire: Nitto NT01

Weather: 99℉ 

It was hot AF! I haven't been on this track for a couple of years. Really wish I had more seat time before it changes, but what can we do. Had fun anyway!

That's an angry sounding V8!

Thanks! I put the mic right above the license plate to get the best sound on video. Anywhere inside the cabin and all I get is wind noise

Thanks! I put the mic right above the license plate to get the best sound on video. Anywhere inside the cabin and all I get is wind noise

That was a badass sounding vette. That's me in my little '17 Miata with 165hp trying desperately to stay ahead of you at https://youtu.be/ffypZZRGHsc?t=11m42s. Knew it wasn't going to happen!! I was running 2:10s that day.

Your drift is in this video from behind.

I tried doing that on my Cayman, but I must not have plugged the mic in tight enough. I got a little sound from the engine, but it sounded like a mosquito. If I put the microphone in the cabin, all I get is my instructor yelling at me!

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway - June 23, 2018
Lap Time: 2:00.0 (RaceChrono)
Ambient temperature: 96 degrees
Car: 2002 E46 M3
Estimated weight with driver: 3119 lbs
Whp: 262 AVG NASA
Tires: Maxxis RC1 275/40ZR17

No more opportunities to break sub 2 minutes

Data: https://serious-racing.com/laptimes/smbl/5334/

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 1.67 Rollercoaster -September 2, 2019
Lap Time: 1:23.7 (AIM Solo2)
Ambient temperature: 95 degrees
Tires: Bridgestone Hankook RS4 255/40-17

The new configuration is fun and fast, conditions weren't great for setting fast times but fun was had by all.

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 2.0 "The Canyon" 1.65 - Sept 2nd, 2019

Lap Time: 1:22.1 (Aim Solo)

Ambient temperature: 98 degrees = Scorching hot

Estimated weight with driver: 3935 lbs

Tires: Hankook RS-4s 305/30/19 (Day 23, > 850 laps)

Had great fun, but its a new learning curve with the crossover section. I never really felt 100% comfortable with the old course, the track plays as a very similar but MUCH improved surface and camber. Well EXCEPT for the Canyon section from turn 4 to 5 to (new) 13 (old 9). Surface is kind of slick, and really easy on the tires. It will surely get grippier as the track rubbers in.

I'm thinking this is a starting point only. Their is so much more to access from 4-13 (and everywhere really). Its going to be really fast.

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 1.67 Rollercoaster -September 2, 2019

Lap Time: 1:16.4 (RaceChrono)

Ambient temperature: 94 degrees

Car: 2002 E46 M3

Estimated weight with driver: 3076 lbs

Whp: 262 AVG NASA

Tires: Continental Challenge 265/40ZR18

2nd session on new configuration, tires 22 HC, and corded after this sprint. With cooler weather, fresh tires, and data analysis, 1:14 or better should be attainable.

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 2.0 "The Canyon" 1.65 - Sept 15th, 2019

Lap Time: 1:19.9 (Aim Solo)

Ambient temperature: 85 degrees

Estimated weight with driver: 3935 lbs

Tires: Hankook RS-4s 305/30/19

Making a little headway. This surface is so nice and smooth. Cant wait to run in cooler weather.

Track: Eagles Canyon Raceway 1.67 Rollercoaster -September 15, 2019
Lap Time: 1:22.1 (AIM Solo2)
Ambient temperature: 85 degrees F
Tires: Bridgestone Hankook RS4 255/40-17

When temperatures drop so will times. I had a great weekend out at ECR with the PCA.

Lap time: 1:21:20 (AIM2)

Date: Sept 15, 2019

Car: 2001 BMW M Coupe

Estimated weight with driver: 3100 pounds

Estimated RWHP: 290

Tires: midlife NT01s

Estimated temp: High 80s and clear

2nd day on my only venture away from MSRC so far, so still learning how to adapt to a new track. Got a lot of help from the coaches this weekend and that really helped me learn it the right way without too much excitement. Still too tentative through the back section, but I’ll work on that next month when PCA is back here.