robertcope

Track Notes CCW

Okay, so some of us are getting to drive this track soon, and others will be racing on it later. Let's start with talking turn priority.

50e31353d4061_COTATrackMap.png

Here's my take:

T11 is the most important turn on the track; you really have to slow it down so that you can rotate the car and be back at full throttle as fast as possible.

T20 is next. Nothing real tricky here, just make sure to brake, it's more than a 90* turn, but if I recall there is a ton of track to work with.

In my opinion, T8-T9 follow that, and I find getting those right to be fairly tough; T10 is a full throttle kink, which is why it doesn't make the list here.

The other corner that I find tricky is T15, and while it doesn't look like might be that important, T15-T19 is probably a fun, full throttle turn, so it's actually a pretty long run.

robert

Agree with all your notes. A few more from my Cadillac session. Turn 13 is easy to start the turn-in early which will screw up turn 14 & 15. Hold your outside line, brake late and get the car rotated quickly so you can get on the gas early and then don't get sucked into turn 15, keep it wide!

It's far from a perfect lap , but it's enough to get a flow going in a slow car like many of ours

We watched Porsche Cup race from 19 , it caught a bunch of people out.

I expect I'll blow T19 many times , it's just too inviting to go deep

I've been watching that and the vettel pole lap. I like the pole lap because you get to see the elevation changes much better. It looks like it goes uphill T1 (duh) then down hill into T3...slight rise through the esses and then continues to climb to T9. Then T12-T20 are pretty flat. Am I off?

From the F1 race, T19 was supposed to be the tricky corner.

T9-T11 is actually a pretty good downhill run. T11 to T12 is not flat, but actually a pretty good rise, albeit over a pretty good distance. When you turn through T11, you can't see T12 until you're midway down the track or so. At least, that is what I remember.

robert

I've been watching that and the vettel pole lap. I like the pole lap because you get to see the elevation changes much better. It looks like it goes uphill T1 (duh) then down hill into T3...slight rise through the esses and then continues to climb to T9. Then T12-T20 are pretty flat. Am I off?

From the F1 race, T19 was supposed to be the tricky corner.

Most of the F1 / Modified Street Car overlays that I have seen have the F1 cars turning in a lot sooner than the street cars ... All that downforce has a significant impact

Brake zones are also totally insane in an F1 car

From my memory...The esses are flat. 6 to 7 is slightly downhill. 7 to 8 is up. 8 to 9 is flat. 9-10 is up. 10 to 11 is down significantly. 11 to 12 is up and down more than you think. 12 to 18is basically flat. 18 to 20 is down.

Man, I had to lift for the esses in the Cadillac. Just a little bit off of the throttle, then right back on after turn-in. (That was a big heavy porky car, though, and I'm slow, so maybe they're flat for a better driver in a Miata or something.)

Those were tricky for me. Mess one up and you've possibly borked the whole section from then on.

I've been driving the track on Simraceway in a GT86 and an NC Miata. The track is tricky. Particularly 8-9 & 15. I still need to get more laps in.

I've been driving the track on Simraceway in a GT86 and an NC Miata. The track is tricky. Particularly 8-9 & 15. I still need to get more laps in.

Those were the turns I noted as tricky, as well! Simraceway looks interesting. I guess I need to put together a PC for me to run that and iRacing. Then I need something like this to make it feel real:

simflyer_sm_1_76PHe_5784.jpg

robert

Thanks for this thread. I'm studying online videos as well, esp. Vettel's pole lap.

This looks like such an incredible track, one of those that is "easy to learn" but "very difficult to master". I hope that we have many years to learn to master it. :)

In my opinion braking is king at this track.

I do not see any turn extremely complicated, maybe the S without references at the beginning might be throwing you off and a couple of turns to be "glued" into one single turn.

Can't wait, those curbs look like built to be ridden and the asphalt is so smooth reminds me of European tracks!

I sure hope I don't break anything! :)

Now, I do plan to brake occasionally...

Lol, lost in translation! Sorry, I meant braking...!

Although that is king at every track, but with such high speed straights it will be very important to find the right parameters.

I remember that at Monza I was always struggling to find the right braking point for each turn. I never mastered that track. I actually never liked that track

Lol, lost in translation! Sorry, I meant braking...!

Just ribbin' ya... :)

See, that's my problem though. I brake too much. I need to take my own advice (that I give to my students all of the time): "more gas, less brake"...

The curbing should be fine to drive on. I know I drove on it during the Cadillac event and it was great. The F1 guys drove all over it, too, and we probably have better suspension for it...?

I talked to uhh the Brembo guy, and he said that the paint on the track actually had different types of sand in it so that it was drivable in the rain. I don't think I want to test that, but I bet it is better than what we're used to.

robert