TrackJunkies.Org

MSR-C Nasa HPDE 3-4

Good times at the Nasa event. MSR-C is lots of fun. Here's a vid of the last session. Starts with Colin-MX5, the Geezer and me (trying to keep up  :-\). Colin gos off at 4:11 (look for the dust) and Geezer gets by him. Colin recovers quickly and him and I have fun on the next turn...

MSR-C NASA HPDE3-4 3-13-10

Good times, good times  ;D.

SA

LOL, that exactly what I thought, tandem drifting. I saw Colin's slide more than the video shows, past the point of recovery and off. Only thing saved mine was the R6's (and a foot full of loud pedal).  Colin said he had his on vid, looking forward to seeing it.

GreenMica, just check out NASA's web site, pay your GreenMoney and you are in. Piece of cake. My first NASA event and it won't be the last. They are very laid back and organized too. Join in!

SA

GreenMica, just check out NASA's web site, pay your GreenMoney and you are in. Piece of cake. My first NASA event and it won't be the last. They are very laid back and organized too. Join in!

I guess I'll have to give NASA another chance.

My experience with them was that they were perhaps too laid back -- my instructor was actively telling me to pass cars that hadn't given any sort of point by, for example. I don't find that acceptable, especially when you consider it was my first NASA event and third event ever. They bumped me to HPDE3 and soloed me after one run with the instructor, too (okay, that was pretty cool). On top of that, I got different instructions ("you need pants", while EVERYONE was wearing shorts... it was August; "you need gloves", when the rulebook clearly says that HPDE drivers do not, and so on), every time I gridded up; I don't like inconsistency when applied to simple rules.

I think what capped off my impression was that I tried to talk to an instructor about it at one point, and his response was basically that he didn't care, wasn't a representative of the org, and I should grow up and deal with it.

On the plus side, there were barely any other cars in HPDE (which could also be a negative, I suppose). And there were actual races to watch while waiting for my turn.

I guess I'm whining a bit, but I honestly felt like safety was not a priority for them, at least in their HPDE groups. I guess at the end of the day, we have other choices, like TDE, which puts on a much, much better program for the same cost.

Sorry to thread hijack.

robert

here's a couple vid clips from sunday session 2  shortly after i passed my buddy in his v8 corolla, he found out his cooling system began leaking water out of a capped off coolant line. that's why he started getting crazy sideways instead of just a little slip angle. lol

had fun even though we had all sorts of problems to fix saturday. a couple good seesions on sunday made it all worthwhile.

I guess I'll have to give NASA another chance.

My experience with them was that they were perhaps too laid back -- my instructor was actively telling me to pass cars that hadn't given any sort of point by, for example. I don't find that acceptable, especially when you consider it was my first NASA event and third event ever. They bumped me to HPDE3 and soloed me after one run with the instructor, too (okay, that was pretty cool). On top of that, I got different instructions ("you need pants", while EVERYONE was wearing shorts... it was August; "you need gloves", when the rulebook clearly says that HPDE drivers do not, and so on), every time I gridded up; I don't like inconsistency when applied to simple rules.

I think what capped off my impression was that I tried to talk to an instructor about it at one point, and his response was basically that he didn't care, wasn't a representative of the org, and I should grow up and deal with it.

On the plus side, there were barely any other cars in HPDE (which could also be a negative, I suppose). And there were actual races to watch while waiting for my turn.

I guess I'm whining a bit, but I honestly felt like safety was not a priority for them, at least in their HPDE groups. I guess at the end of the day, we have other choices, like TDE, which puts on a much, much better program for the same cost.

Sorry to thread hijack.

robert

Some of what you are saying rings true. This was my first NASA event and I've never done a TDE event. That being said, the NASA tech was kinda long wait and they really did'nt check much. The local SCCA autox is 10 times more stringent. Go figure. There was less run time than I expected 3 twenty min sessions and 1 fifteen minute session. But they were on time and grid was very well organized.. Flaggers were everywhere and on top of things. But they did not really throw the black for several 4 wheels off that I witnessed, which is good and bad at the same time..

I enjoyed watching the races though and seeing the cars in the pits, so that was kinda different from a normal hpde thing. But I totally agree with you on the safety thing as there's a certian track I won't mention that somehow does not feel really safley run to me, so I just pay extra attention when I'm there. I had a good time at this particular event and felt safe but ymmv.

SA

here's a couple vid clips from sunday session 2  shortly after i passed my buddy in his v8 corolla, he found out his cooling system began leaking water out of a capped off coolant line. that's why he started getting crazy sideways instead of just a little slip angle. lol

had fun even though we had all sorts of problems to fix saturday. a couple good seesions on sunday made it all worthwhile.

Glad to hear your Sunday was better. Vid looks crowded. Did you get any clean laps in? Thanks again for everything.

ps, I'll have some sort of timing at the next event lol...

SA