This board will be going into read-only mode in about a week. After that, no new posts will be allowed. See this post for more: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/7871-the-end-of-an-era-is-upon-us/

This board will be going into read-only mode in about a week. After that, no new posts will be allowed. See this post for more: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/7871-the-end-of-an-era-is-upon-us/

rlogan

LS1 Miata Build (V8 roadsters)

Well, my spec miata (that never was) just doubled it's number of cylinders. I traded off my my ART 1.8 and a wee bit of cash for an LS1 T56 CTS-V drivetrain.

I was offered a deal I just could not pass up.

In one fell swoop I now have every part I need to build a V8 miata except for a fuel pump and some much larger brakes (and cojones) and wheels/tires.

If all goes well, this build should not take too long...

The motor and trans are already sitting on the miata subframe with suspension intact and same with the differential.

I have a full wiring harness including gauges and ECU.

Full Exhaust, driveshaft, radiator, oil cooler and lines

The motor is a bit excessive right now (450hp+)...and that was actually the only issue that made me hesitant to make the leap at first.

I'll have to see what I can do to get power down or maybe just sell it off and build an L33.

Buy the rest of my SM parts in the FS section so I can pay this build off.

Let the build commence...

Oh wow, for the Spec Miata eh? Are you still building the turbo setup on the 99? Let me know when you're working on it as I'd like to watch/help out since I'll be doing the same in a year or two.

Yes, keeping the 99 turbo for TTA/Street use and the 94 with LS1 will be wheel to wheel car, likely Super Touring 2. The amount of overtime I get in the next few months will determine how fast the LS build goes. Well, I'll be able to get it up and running, but I'll need some flares, larger tires, track suspension, etc...to make it track worthy.

The 99 is done for the most part...except I need to install the MS2PNP and sell the HKS Fcon ECU

I also plan to mount that airfoil I picked up and add a splitter...hopefully before Cresson in March.

I'm plannning to share the airfoil between the two cars. Only one will be at the track at any given time....so why buy two.

I may do the same with the 11.75" brakes/11" Corrado setup, at least for the time being. Both use same calipers so it's just a matter of swapping rotors and mounts.

There are a lot of variables, but basically the LS1 swap only adds about 100-200 lbs over the stock powertrain. Mine weighs 2450 wet no driver (weighed on Longacre wheel scales). With a T-5 transmission (instead of a T56, what I have) it will be lighter; the T-5 is about 70 lbs lighter. Stripped to the bone it can be in the 2200-2300 lb range IIRC based on other all-out track only LSx builds I have seen.

If you consider the added weight from all of the turbo and drivertrain equipment it would take to make the same amount of power (with a Miata block), with the same level of reliability, the weight difference is pretty small.