TrackJunkies.Org

NASA January 28-29, 2012. CCW MSRH

hpimola

damn...another quick TTB car. Someone's gotta beat Ken O.

I said they were attainable, not that I was going to do it. I'd like to see a 46 in my car this time since I'm only running 209whp/2440lb which is quite unfavorable for TTB. If they'd give me a competitive hp/lb ratio I might buy a set of Hoosiers and give TTB a run with like equipment, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in TTA (the chargepipe mod alone bumps me into TTA). Are you changing up your tire size? curious what the corvette guys will run.

I will stay with the 275 and keep the same point setup. I would like headers and if so run the other 255 tire.

they reclassed the 255/35-18 cheater hoosier tire as a 275 points tire. It kinda messed a bunch of people up with their points (me included)

Was Ken running the 255? I have 18 points out of 19 allowable so I'm stuck, but if Ken is ruled-out I may have a chance of being competitive and winning a weekend or two. I ran a lot of new tracks (new directions) last year so I was destroyed at a few tracks, but at tracks where I was experienced I did fairly well compared to him for 2nd place. Ken's performance at Hallett really broke my heart, even with the diarrhea and vomiting. There is just no way a 210whp, 2440lb Miata without aero is going to run a 1:25 on R-comps there. Reliability mods like the 6-speed really hurt me so I can't run a Hoosier and I'm stuck on NT-01.

Also, don't the Continental Cup take-offs reside in the UTG wear rating of 100 like the R-comps? This language was in last years classification forms, not this year.

Not sure what Ken was running....but another good TTB contender is Allan Page (who was running the 255 tire), he was turning some smoking lap times around MSR this past fall.

I'm running the Conti take off 275 tires...not sure what the UTG wear rating is but i'm getting dinged 11 points for that tire.

Not sure what Ken was running....but another good TTB contender is Allan Page (who was running the 255 tire), he was turning some smoking lap times around MSR this past fall.

I'm running the Conti take off 275 tires...not sure what the UTG wear rating is but i'm getting dinged 11 points for that tire.

Which car? Although I live 1-hour away, that was my first lap on the 3.1, 3rd on the track in general so I was dog-shit slow.

I look forward to meeting all the group 1 and 2 students. Please let us know what kinds of things you'd like discussed in the classroom sessions. I'm already putting together the base lessons, but if there's anything you'd like to cover specifically (that's appropriate for group 1 and 2), don't hesitate to let us know.

-Michael

I look forward to meeting all the group 1 and 2 students. Please let us know what kinds of things you'd like discussed in the classroom sessions. I'm already putting together the base lessons, but if there's anything you'd like to cover specifically (that's appropriate for group 1 and 2), don't hesitate to let us know.

-Michael

do you need instructors ever, and if so when should I start instructing if I'm interested?

do you need instructors ever, and if so when should I start instructing if I'm interested?

Every organization needs instructors, but we take only the good ones. rolleyes.gif

Seriously, if you want to instruct for NASA, the best thing to do is contact the CI, Barry Anders. He's new to the position this year but was one of the Group Leaders last year. He's probably on TJ, but I don't know his nick here. He'll hopefully respond. You'll probably get a check ride, and then a reverse check ride. It helps to bring your resume, even verbally.

I think we're going to try to do another instructor clinic this year, but the details haven't been worked out yet. After the previous one, we have a lot of work to do. As details become available, we'll be sure to let you know.

On a different note, I'm also working on getting SCCA to start up their PDX program here in TX, although probably not until next year. This will be yet another instruction opportunity.

-Michael

Every organization needs instructors, but we take only the good ones. rolleyes.gif

Seriously, if you want to instruct for NASA, the best thing to do is contact the CI, Barry Anders. He's new to the position this year but was one of the Group Leaders last year. He's probably on TJ, but I don't know his nick here. He'll hopefully respond. You'll probably get a check ride, and then a reverse check ride. It helps to bring your resume, even verbally.

I think we're going to try to do another instructor clinic this year, but the details haven't been worked out yet. After the previous one, we have a lot of work to do. As details become available, we'll be sure to let you know.

On a different note, I'm also working on getting SCCA to start up their PDX program here in TX, although probably not until next year. This will be yet another instruction opportunity.

-Michael

I'm somewhat interested, but I don't really care to instruct people with fast cars, only Miatas or "slow like a Miata". The last thing I want is to be responsible for some guy in a ZR-1. I'm mainly interested in NASA for a little trade.

The last thing I want is to be responsible for some guy in a ZR-1.

I instructed a guy in a ZR-1 at the last TWS event. It was his first event ever, and the track was wet. Fortunately he was not out to prove anything, listened to me, and drove with his head. That car is awesome.

Just going thru the finals details getting the car ready and realized that the 4 required NASA decals almost equals the total square inches of surface area on the car. By the time those go on along with the transponder, fire extinguisher, emergency cut-off and numbers the car may not be able to be listed as being orange anymore.

I'd have to get a trailer with a small billboard to accomodate sponsor stickers, if I had any sponsors. Geez!