itrack

Instructors come in

Saw this video on youtube while trolling for videos of this weekends races. Short story, newish driver has a modified CTS-V, grabs an instructor and is ripping TWS CW. The brakes fail at the end of the back straight coming into 6 at 120+. The car was going off and the instructor yanked the wheel as it was leaving the track. This is a wooded area with a access road and a concrete wall with no runoff. The youtube user obviously feels that the instructor caused more damage than if the car had gone off straight. I'm going to leave my comments out at first. Discuss...

not an instructor and cannot see because the camera is way down but looking at the area he would have gone off, he did the right thing. that is coming from some one who hates to have his wheel touched.

BS! you've never complained when I touch your wheel. :blink:

I'm sure we know the instructor and probably shouldn't comment on the specifics of this event. That said, there is not much time to react in that situation and I am sure the instructor did what he thought was best. I've never tried it, but I have been told that you really do not want to go off straight there. Nobody can possibly say that any alternative outcome could absolutely have been better or worse.

Personally, I cannot imagine ever grabbing the wheel from the passenger seat unless the driver has passed out, died, or maybe if we were heading straight into a wall or something and the driver has frozen up. It just seems like too much of a liability issue to me. But, I am not a trained instructor.

robert

I agree with Kevin. I know the instructor and understand the comment he made towards the end. You cannot see enough to speculate, so please don't.

Not personal, just being objective.

I've touched the wheel once in my instructing career. It was a split moment reaction, had full confidence when it occurred, and the end result was a straight off at 20MPH coming out of T7 TWS CW. With that said, the policy for PDS going forward it to not touch the wheel, mainly for liability reasons. There are many angles to this highly sensitive subject. In fact about 6 months ago I was on the other side of the fence. If it's worth discussing, it's worth taking into the instructor private area.

That video gets under my skin - I will never grab the wheel unless the driver loses the physical ability to control the car... with that said, there's not enough evidence to say whether or not he could have gone strait with less damage.

I can say, it's very possible to go strait off T6 CW without hitting anything hard - I've done it. In a race, a car broke and unexpectedly slowed WAY down as they entered T6, I was only a few lengths behind them and had already committed to my racing braking zone which left no room for error. Instead of committing to T6, trying avoiding the disabled car and ending up in the trees, I chose to drive strait off - to the left of the access road. There are some off-road whoopties, but only a couple trees and an abandoned firetruck to hit ~ way out there. Much better than the forest to the right of the access road.

Again, you can't tell where the car was pointed - maybe he had already committed to the turn and the left side escape route wasn't available.

Thanks, Sam, I was hoping someone would chime in with what the options for going off there are. I've heard it can be bad, and I can believe that, but Google sat images don't make it look that bad, but (lots of ifs and buts here!) you can't really see terrain from above. Of course, at Miata speeds, I might just try and make the turn, who knows, maybe it is possible to do it at full tilt.......

robert

Weird how the video is zoomed in on the incident. Don't know if that was done in editing to highlight the driver's point or if it was an accident when setting up the camera to record. I have not driven TWS CW yet so I don't know what is off straight in T6.

That video gets under my skin - I will never grab the wheel unless the driver loses the physical ability to control the car... with that said, there's not enough evidence to say whether or not he could have gone strait with less damage.

I can say, it's very possible to go strait off T6 CW without hitting anything hard - I've done it. In a race, a car broke and unexpectedly slowed WAY down as they entered T6, I was only a few lengths behind them and had already committed to my racing braking zone which left no room for error. Instead of committing to T6, trying avoiding the disabled car and ending up in the trees, I chose to drive strait off - to the left of the access road. There are some off-road whoopties, but only a couple trees and an abandoned firetruck to hit ~ way out there. Much better than the forest to the right of the access road.

Again, you can't tell where the car was pointed - maybe he had already committed to the turn and the left side escape route wasn't available.

Yes left gives you an escape route but if you go straight you still jump that road and the trees there are actually closer when you look at google sat images. It would be nice if we could see out the windshield.

As an instructor, I have touched a student's steering wheel on several occasions. However, I did warn the student, and actually received the student's permission to do so. I do this when words just are not enough to convey the message. Compared to this video, what I described is a safe and calm situation.

On principle, I am not against an instructor touching a student's wheel. That being said, there are limits. Whether or not the instructor crossed the line in this situation.........................

From that video, it's impossible to tell what's going on. You can't see anything but the dash. Can't comment.

+1 simply no way to know

I would give the student an 'F' however for camera placement!

He's posting videos online of how to run a proper line through T6.. so I'm going to guess he's a 3rd event (ever) blue student. :lol:

Aww, come on now, I've started putting all of my videos online. I'm not suggesting the lines in them are proper, though.

robert

I'm not judging, what happens in a closed cockpit between two consenting adults is their business.

Ha ha ha ha

He said "cock pit".

Ha ha ha ha

(I'm really only 9 )