robertcope

NASA/TxMC - November 26, 27 2011

OK so here is my quick weekend recap...

A cold front blew through the area during the weekend so on Saturday we had a lot of rain for most of the day. Between the cooler temperatures, and the mud drug onto the track from many, many off track excursions, it was pretty slick. Horsepower really did nothing. It was all about driving very carefully, with smooth inputs and very careful throttle application on the corner exits. It finally stopped raining mid afternoon, allowing one session with a mostly dry track. Traction was still compromised but it was much better allowing us to finally get some reasonable lap times. I had a new set of 225 NT-01s I used all day long after miraculously finding a set at the last minute at Discount Tire (looks like they sold out already). Good in the rain, good in the dry, forgiving in both. Love these tires.

On Sunday morning the temperatures had dropped to near freezing, and it was really windy, about 10-20 mph gusting to 30. I started off the day on the same NT-01s, and switched to new Hoosier radial slicks after it warmed up a bit. I took Rayvn-X along as a passenger in the next session. I had heard these tires were not very grippy for the first few laps so I started off slow. They were indeed pretty slick for most of the first lap, but then they came alive and the grip increase was substantial. Even with a passenger on a cold, green, dirty track, I was down at or within 1/2 a second of my previous best on Hankook Z214s. Corner exit grip was great.

The fourth (last) session of the day was the fastest as expected. That is when I set a 1:56.2. There was a 1:55 in the car for sure, maybe even a 1:54 (based on Spoolin's smoking fast lap in the 1:54s) but I was getting tired and making small mistakes here and there on all of my laps. Even so the modified Boss 302 I battled with all weekend was 4/10ths slower and I emerged victorious. First place, TTS. I won contingency for a Hoosier tire which is sweet.

Spoolin was the man for the TxMC with the fast lap well into the 1:54s. Every time I had a great session, I would go to timing and scoring to get the session results, only to see that Spoolin had beaten me. Dang it! Good times though, glad to have the competition since that is how one gets faster.

As an added bonus the NASA officials let the TT and Competition license drivers run a test session on the track configuration that uses the NASCAR turn 3 and turn 4 corners. For those who do not know, TWS started life as a two-mile super speedway, complete with huge corners with 22 degree banking. NASCAR and CART ran there in its glory days. The last quarter of this road course puts us on the track at the entrance to NASCAR turn 3, going through 4, onto the front straight. To put it in perspective, NASCAR has been testing there again recently and Greg Biffle set a 195 mph average lap speed with a 218 mph peak speed running the TWS oval. It is by far the fastest set of corners I have ever driven on. Simply awesome.

post-181-084006600 1322589107_thumb.png

I also instructed on Saturday with a student in a Corvette ZR1. That's right, 600+ HP, on a wet track, with a driver that had never driven on a racetrack before. Fortunately he was very respectful of the power, listened to my instruction, and more importantly followed my request to kept the driving aids (antilock, traction control) in place. Even so he had three corner exit near-spins in T4 which he saved very nicely. When I remarked at how well he saved those slides for someone new at the track, he said he gets a lot of practice catching throttle oversteer slides on the street LOL. Once the track dried and he could really push it, that car was really impressive. The grip and acceleration are fantastic.

I got my time down to a 1:28.730...

This just in, Rayvn-X breaks the TWS 2.9 mile all-time track record in his naturally aspirated Miata on his FIRST track day ever! He is currently negotiating with RBR F1 for a 2012 seat. Mark Weber was not available for comment, but is not expected to be pleased with losing his ride after his recent season closing victory at Interlagos. Christian Horner commented "Well, I am getting tired of Weber's accent, and Vettel is getting old, so it is time for new blood."

Chris, you are the man. Even my theoretical and rolling laps were only in the 1:35 range.

:lol:

This just in, Rayvn-X brakes the TWS 2.9 mile all-time track record in his naturally aspirated Miata on his FIRST track day ever! He is currently negotiating with RBR F1 for a 2012 seat. Mark Weber was not available for comment, but is not expected to be pleased with losing his ride after his recent season closing victory at Interlagos. Christian Horner commented "Well, I am getting tired of Weber's accent, and Vettel is getting old, so it is time for new blood."

Chris, you are the man. Even my theoretical and rolling laps were only in the 1:35 range.

:lol:

:lol: I'm taking applications for pit-crew members if you're interested. Apparently I can go faster at TWS than I can at H2R. :lol:2:28.730

Blog post Day 1: http://www.roadsterracing.com/post/13385355332/

Blog post Day 2: http://www.roadsterracing.com/post/13488656710/

Fun weekend. John summed it up nicely as well. The Saturday video is currently processing on youtube and I'll have it posted up here shortly. I only had a 90* spin through T4 but only 1 wheel went off and this was right after I passed John and his student in the ZR1. Weeee! T4, T6, T8, T9 were all damn slippery on Saturday!

Here's the vid from Saturday's rain...

I just remembered to mention... Jacob300 and Spoolin noticed there was a celebrity among us. Sure enough, Eric Foss (see link), a Pro Driver, was there in a Mazdaspeed 3 running in the HPDE4/TT sessions. Jacob300 pointed him out to me in the snack bar on Sunday, nice guy. He was awesome to watch when he was decimating everyone, including me, in the rain on Saturday.

I followed him on the warm-up lap during one of the TT sessions and watched him using the Fernando Alonso technique to scrub in his tires, that is violent swerving back and forth, very cool. In the second lap he also did a really sweet drift move right in front of me through T3, like a 45 deg yaw angle sideways through mid turn. I thought he was going to run off track for sure but he reeled it in and kept going. Nice.

http://ericfossracing.com

Chatted with him at lunch on Sunday. Seemed like a nice guy. I had no idea who he was, but he gave me a card after we talked for a while. I pointed to the "professional driver" bit on the card and asked if he actually got paid to drive, haha. Apparently he does, but mostly the driver coaching is his day job. Wonder how much he charges... could be entertaining to have him in the right seat for a day.

robert

I clocked a rolling lap of 1:57.9 which I think is the lap record for a naturally aspirated miata at TWS CCW. I bet instruction form Eric could get anyone 2 seconds, what does that cost in parts?

i would love to see this lap...

how much HP from the NA motor?

I clocked a rolling lap of 1:57.9 which I think is the lap record for a naturally aspirated miata at TWS CCW. I bet instruction form Eric could get anyone 2 seconds, what does that cost in parts?

I think 1:58.5 is the SM lap record ... Which is amazing

The best NA lap I've seen was Eric Prill in an 1.6L F Production car @ 1:53.2

There may be a lower time in E Production 1.8L , but I'm not aware of it.

I think 1:58.5 is the SM lap record ... Which is amazing

The best NA lap I've seen was Eric Prill in an 1.6L F Production car @ 1:53.2

There may be a lower time in E Production 1.8L , but I'm not aware of it.

Sorry should have put a smiley, it was a joke for mega.