Megahellastylin

H2R fire rumour quashing

For the record... I do not know where the rumour started but where it started really is not important.

To be ABSOLUTELY clear, NO ONE associated with the Texas Miata Challenge was responsible for the track fire at H2R earlier this year that shut down the TT event. This includes John Z (Spoolin). Quite the opposite. We are dilligent about checking that the drivers and the cars are not going to cause problems for everyone else.

I do not want to do anything else with this thread including pointing fingers at anyone. Just making sure that inadvertent misinformation is not spread further.

Thanks

No actually it was due to someone doing a rather flimsy job of packing a muffler trying to get under the noise limit. The hot packing blew out of the tail pipe and set the grass on fire in three spots along the T3 to T4 straight.

Just my two cents. On grid I was asked to make sure the cars reached the required DB and the Miata in question did just that. What was funny is I suggested going to the Auto Zone and getting a cheap muffler with a flexy metal hose. In my amazement and LMFAO he shows up with the muffler screwed to the back of the car with plumbers tape and flexy hose connected. I was impressed. I thought this whole thing was old history so hope that helps in the quashing. Also I should have done a better job inspecting the not going to say which car... car. If anyone is still talking about this then it might be time for them to get a life.

Loos Nutz, again it was not a miata or miata challenge driver. We know who started the fire, please get your information correct.

Facts

HHR catches fire frequently

The fire breaks didn't work

The track was very dry

The car that started the fire passed tech

The car was a Honda

The muffler packing wouldn't have started a fire normally at any other track I know of in Texas

HHR staff confronting people about the fire is poor taste

HHR staff/members/helpers spread the rumor that it was Miata Challenge driver Spoolin2bars (John Z), it was not

The miata with extra muffler was Robert H. and he didn't start the fire either

The event that weekend was a Miata Challenge/HPDE event scheduled 6 months before hand with previous staff

The Honda that started the fire was there for HPDE event

Loos Nutz, again it was not a miata or miata challenge driver. We know who started the fire, please get your information correct.

Facts

HHR catches fire frequently

The fire breaks didn't work

The track was very dry

The car that started the fire passed tech

The car was a Honda

The muffler packing wouldn't have started a fire normally at any other track I know of in Texas

HHR staff confronting people about the fire is poor taste

HHR staff/members/helpers spread the rumor that it was Miata Challenge driver Spoolin2bars (John Z), it was not

The miata with extra muffler was Robert H. and he didn't start the fire either

The event that weekend was a Miata Challenge/HPDE event scheduled 6 months before hand with previous staff

The Honda that started the fire was there for HPDE event

Did not read my post correctly. Sorry I should have been clearer. It was not a Miata challenge driver and I know that. I know exactly which car it was and it sucks to hear that someone is still spreading the rumors. When we have 4 months of zero rain and you are shooting steel wool packing out of your muffler plus the combo of the regular winds most tracks could catch if there is grass.

As for the extra muffler it was awesome and that is what I meant in the post. Hopefully this clears the misunderstanding.

Facts

itrack, nothing personal against you here is intended.

Red hot steel wool is actually a great fire starter, and dry grass is dry grass anywhere.

I don't know much about the incident, however I do know that the vet next door, their animals and the resident's very old mother had a very bad day of almost losing their business along with smoke inhalation. I also know that we might have come very close to losing a local track and that the track may have to buy out their neighbors properties to protect itself and their neighbors from another incident. So excuse me if I don't care who or what or what club the fire spewing person belonged to.

Sorry for being so "selfish" but one person almost F'ED it all up for the rest of us. Someone starts a fire with a bullshite fix, we almost lose a track along with lots of other property damage and H2R is made to be the villian here, please explain that to me.

I asked about this and was told that H2R called a muffler shop, got the person a quick turn around but instead they went to the hardware store and fixed it themselves...fine, but when it all goes bad, it's their mistake. This person also told H2R that they paid and can't be turned away. If anything that person should be posting up a "sorry about ruining the day and maybe the entire f'ing track" thread.

You guys realize that tracks everyone are going down or being restricted because of noise and hazard issues? And your seriously going to defend this person??

Bottom line: don't screw it up for the rest of us.

Agreed.

Muffler packing spewing out would have definitely started a fire at TWS; back when I was there in August they had a fire from hot material flying off a BMW in T1/2. It was put out very quickly though. The BMW had a phantom fire where no flames were ever visible but you could see lots of smoke coming from the car. Something coming off the car at speed caused the fire.

H2R had no responsibility to let the guy on track...my understanding is they have a specific rule/regulation/whatever that states cars must be tech'd to their satisfaction. If they see something they don't like they can kick you out.

itrack, nothing personal against you here is intended.

Red hot steel wool is actually a great fire starter, and dry grass is dry grass anywhere.

I don't know much about the incident, however I do know that the vet next door, their animals and the resident's very old mother had a very bad day of almost losing their business along with smoke inhalation. I also know that we might have come very close to losing a local track and that the track may have to buy out their neighbors properties to protect itself and their neighbors from another incident. So excuse me if I don't care who or what or what club the fire spewing person belonged to.

Sorry for being so "selfish" but one person almost F'ED it all up for the rest of us. Someone starts a fire with a bullshite fix, we almost lose a track along with lots of other property damage and H2R is made to be the villian here, please explain that to me.

I asked about this and was told that H2R called a muffler shop, got the person a quick turn around but instead they went to the hardware store and fixed it themselves...fine, but when it all goes bad, it's their mistake. This person also told H2R that they paid and can't be turned away. If anything that person should be posting up a "sorry about ruining the day and maybe the entire f'ing track" thread.

You guys realize that tracks everyone are going down or being restricted because of noise and hazard issues? And your seriously going to defend this person??

Bottom line: don't screw it up for the rest of us.

I'm not defending anyone dude. Your taking this way to personal and actually quite out of line. South Texas is so freaking dry right now you can't compare it to anywhere else in the country. The point is that car/driver passed tech he was sound checked again before entering the track, then HHR staff after the fact is confronting the person they think started it. My point is a fire at HHR is like water in a lake...

Instead of playing the blame game HHR needs to come up with a better solution to stoping fires that start.

I'm not defending anyone dude. Your taking this way to personal and actually quite out of line. South Texas is so freaking dry right now you can't compare it to anywhere else in the country. The point is that car/driver passed tech he was sound checked again before entering the track, then HHR staff after the fact is confronting the person they think started it. My point is a fire at HHR is like water in a lake...

Instead of playing the blame game HHR needs to come up with a better solution to stoping fires that start.

I have absolutely no idea what you're so pissed off about. :huh:

only reason this thread was made was because someone had bass ackwards information at the track and confronted someone that had nothing to do with the fire 2 days ago! It doesn't matter what group the car that started the fire was with. it was the track officials that had final say on whether the repair was satisfactory or not. and apparently they said it was if he was allowed back on track. also, i think a few different noise violators are being combined into one. one of them did buy a muffler and clamped it on the bumper, but never got to run before the fire started. Fact of the matter is, hopefully everyone learned from this and can prevent it in the future. case closed.... again!!!!!

At any rate, it was an ACCIDENT. Sucked for everyone involved, but I doubt the guilty party had any idea what his hack job would lead to. I wouldn't want the finger pointed at me, but debating it here sure isn't going to solve anything.