This board will be going into read-only mode in about a week. After that, no new posts will be allowed. See this post for more: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/7871-the-end-of-an-era-is-upon-us/

This board will be going into read-only mode in about a week. After that, no new posts will be allowed. See this post for more: https://www.trackjunkies.org/topic/7871-the-end-of-an-era-is-upon-us/

BigMatt

RPMS October 15/16, registration open!

I'm going to guess this is off due to low turnout/registration numbers, based on the initial reduction to only a single day down from two.

How about some conjecture? Why is it the last two events at H2R have been nixed at the precipice?

Is it the H2R surface?

Is it the H2R staff?

Is it the other events within a few weeks?

And for the conspiracy theory, is it some underground misogynistic plan to cause the wimminfolk to fail? (Not serious...just an attempt at humor to get this to be a little more lively.)

-Michael

I'm going to guess this is off due to low turnout/registration numbers, based on the initial reduction to only a single day down from two.

How about some conjecture? Why is it the last two events at H2R have been nixed at the precipice?

Is it the H2R surface?

Is it the H2R staff?

And for the conspiracy theory, is it some underground misogynistic plan to cause the wimminfolk to fail? (Not serious...just an attempt at humor to get this to be a little more lively.)

-Michael

I blame it on Bo's hair! :P

Is it the H2R surface?

Is it the H2R staff?

-Michael

Personally, I think it's the fact that it's been a long, hot nasty summer that is still holding on, and people are just freaking burned out from it. At least that's why I'M not out recently.

Personally, I think it's the fact that it's been a long, hot nasty summer that is still holding on, and people are just freaking burned out from it. At least that's why I'M not out recently.

My guess is (surprise) based on the state of the economy. I think a lot of "fringe" enthusiasts who might otherwise decide to sign up for a DE simply don't have the spare change right now.

It has been almost impossible to get anything going in our car club after this summer. Plus people are also tighter on the cash. As for the real reason my club is stagnate.... Bo's hair.

I was signed up for Sunday only and then that got cancelled. Now both days are canceled... lame. :-\

I was at the first RPM event at H2R in March, and I loved the track. At least now I can check out this forum to see what events are upcoming because I really want to return to H2R.

It's too bad this event was canceled. I was really looking forward to finally get on this track. :-[

All you have to do is recruit a member to host you as a guest, assuming you're solo qualified. Plenty of members here, so it shouldn't be hard. I'd offer for this weekend, but I'll be tied up w/ family visiting for my son's 3rd birthday.

I was very frustrated by the cancellation! I had just missed out on TDE at Cresson and was put on stand-by for TDE at TWS (I did get in).

From my perception this event did not fail because of the hot nasty summer or the economy. All the TDE events are full with waiting list.

While I was at TDE TWS last week I was surprised that very few people where aware of this H2R event. Lots of people said they would like to go to H2R. When told who was putting on the event the replies were very positive, -- the general comment was "good people -- they will run a good event".

I hope RPM does not give up as I believe there is a need for another good high performance driving school in Texas, but I think they need to improve in several areas, first answer the telephone & emails or at least return calls/emails within 24 hours.

I left messages for two days without a return call. Then I decided to heck with it I will just register online and take my chances, but the system would not take my payment so I followed the registration sites email link for problems and sent a message with my phone number and ask them to call (and that I was available until 9pm).

A day and one half later I receive a email telling me I can call the next day between 12:00 and 1:30pm. I called and the lady that answered was all business -- no warm fuzzy conversation here, and basically just gave me alternate instructions for payment.

Later I emailed again asking about unloading hours on Friday but never got a reply.

If they are to succeed they need to improve there communication.

If they had communicated there problem to us by simply saying, we need your help, can you tell your car club and post about this event on your car forums I think many of us would have "beat the drums". I am on the MINI and Lotus forums and there was nothing on this event -- even the HPD site had nothing. Offer prizes or incentives for bringing a friend.

Here hoping RPM succeeds I think there is a need / market for them and I will try them again.

I was very frustrated by the cancellation! I had just missed out on TDE at Cresson and was put on stand-by for TDE at TWS (I did get in).

Here hoping RPM succeeds I think there is a need / market for them and I will try them again.

Ron, sorry about your frustration with getting back to you, but this business isn't our primary source of income (we are just two people) and our day jobs sometimes cause delays in responding. Many times, we don't have a quick answer and must coordinate with the track, or a vendor like clubreg, and wait on their answer before we give you an answer. Your emails came in during our scrambling to try and keep this event going. I apologize if we could not respond fast enough.

As far as us continuing, we will have to see. To be honest, there are 12 organizations here in TX where someone can spend their hard earned cash on track time. Sadly,quality advertising has gotten too expensive and there is little to ZERO return on the investment due to the lack of discretionary income and lack of interest in this great sport here in TX. Groupon probably has the best traffic, but you end up losing your ass at 25% revenue and it's usually a one time sale for a bargain hunter. Internet based advertising has become more of a nuisance to most people and ends up getting your company on the "junk email" list. Frustrated posts about the condition of the H2R track, many of which are unfounded, don't help either. Trust me, we had a large number of people "beating the streets" to get people to sign up, as well as over 2000 emails to known enthusiasts, but it is what it is. Keep in mind, many of the web forums out there require advertising fees to post events. Looking back at advertising options, it has cost $450-1000 to get one student to sign up.

You have to remember TX is a pick up truck, drag racing, golf and Hunting state. While HPDE/Track Days have been around now for nearly 10 years here, there just aren't that many people with Awesome wives that will let them do this fun activity...or the car to drive or the cash to spend. That in combination with the economy and so many venues to spend your HPDE dollar, the market is terribly diluted in competition for your track dollars. So while there may be a pool of 2000 people tracking their cars in TX out of 15 million...the turn out gets diluted by date, track availability and organization to the point where the track rentals are too high to break even.

I hate to say this but given the state of the economy, next year does not look promising. Misty and I are going to look at 2012 and evaluate opportunities but we lost money on every event this year, including a significant deposit on an event we didn't even have at MSRH. We didn't expect windfall profits, but toss in the start up costs and any sane business person would probably bail. We enjoy putting on these events as they are as much a social event as they are a track event and it brings a smile to our faces to see everyone having a great time. While I think we can provide a better, safer and more personalized experience than other organizations, it ultimately comes down to "can the business make a profit?". With the large number of organizations competing for your dollar, and entry fees pretty well limited to $300/head, making a profit doesn't seem possible right now especially with TDE and PCA having many loyal customers. There just aren't enough TJ's in the state to support this many organizations and so few customers. Size of the available instructor pool with "hall pass" weekends is getting less each year too.

Probably more information than you guys wanted to know as I get a little long-winded now and then, but hopefully things will turn around with the F1 event here next year sparking some interest in road racing. We will let you guys know where things go.

Thanks for that, Matt. It sucks to hear, and it is frustrating to those of us who really like you and Misty and the events you put on, but it is honest. It does seem like the standard "HPDE @ Some Track @ $295" has been well done here in TX, a new niche will have to be found to be successful, I'm thinking. Unfortunately, I'm not sure about what that could be.

robert

Lot of events on the calander. Misty didn't have the numbers for a 2 day event and a 1 day event didn't work out too well for folks coming up from Houston. No conspiricy . weather's getting good, w/e attendence is up. I'm goig out on Sat, hell maybe Sun too.

Preach it! ;)

See ya Sat. and yes they are talking about more member days events. I do still like the HPDE events just to see the ear to ear grins on the faces of the noobs after they get to really drive their rig.

I did the time trial last weekend and it was a blast......until Mr. Diffy took a dump, then it was still a blast!

I've always liked the open track days(solo only drivers) better than the traditional track events with run groups. Is there a market to do more of those type of events?

I also think this is a badly neglected niche.

Tomorrow, for example, I'm attending a one day "private" event at Gingerman: alternating intermediate / advanced run groups, 30 minute sessions, for a total cost of $150. I know that most Texas tracks take a lot more coin to rent, but the event format is fantastic. I think there are a total of 40 registered drivers.

You end up with eight 30 minute sessions, without sitting around for 1.5-2hrs between groups. For many Texas venues, I'd gladly pay the full $300 for something like that. Great track time value and lots of fun.

No instructors, no classroom, no beginner groups. It's a more casual event that's easier to organize, but you leave out the key sector of novices that are vital to growing a new group and the sport as a whole.

Something to think about, for sure!!

Was just talking to folks about that last night at the Austin TJs dinner. I'd even pay a premium for an event that was 'advanced only' with more track time than the usual DE. I'm not sure how you would get those advanced students without having the green students, first, though.

robert