ken o

MSR 1.7 Lap Times

No performance modifiers in any group.  It's all direct raw times.

That's different than last year. Brad has been pretty proud of balancing within the groups.

Now I feel your pain. I'm up against the Corvettes and 911s. LOL.

That's different than last year. Brad has been pretty proud of balancing within the groups.

Now I feel your pain. I'm up against the Corvettes and 911s. LOL.

You and Skip just need to ditch the Mustang and NC and pick up a BRZ/FRS. The SSC class is a spec, standalone class so you're on perfectly equal footing. Or, you could come play in STX. 

You and Skip just need to ditch the Mustang and NC and pick up a BRZ/FRS. The SSC class is a spec, standalone class so you're on perfectly equal footing. Or, you could come play in STX. 

Hmmm.  One of my neighbors has a lightly wrecked FRS...

1.7 CCW: 1:24.344 (SCCA SM Track Record)
27-Jan-2019, ~4pm, SCCA Winter Festival Majors Race

1999 Spec Miata (Penske shocks)
Spec wt: 2400 lbs (est actual wt ~2435 lbs)
RWHP: ~125
Hoosier SM7 205/50/15, heat cycle #4

Ambient temp ~60°F

(SCCA only count race laps for track records.  Others have gone faster in SM.  Trevor McCallion did a 1:24.311 in Sun qual.  Data showed 1:23:8x was possible.  Reger did a 1:24.0x a few years at a NASA event)

https://youtu.be/qHxQUVlsFRE

Ambient temp ~60°F

(SCCA only count race laps for track records.  Others have gone faster in SM.  Trevor McCallion did a 1:24.311 in Sun qual.  Data showed 1:23:8x was possible.  Reger did a 1:24.0x a few years at a NASA event)

((Now if I could just figure out how to embed the video))

Well done! I like to use SM as a gauge of my laps (used to be a goal, but I've dropped into the 1:23's). SM was my favorite race to watch, unfortunately I was there with the Time Trials and we ran right after SM so we could only really watch the first half of the races.

To embed a video you just copy and paste the youtube link from the address bar, not the youtube share button (if you add &t=60s your videos will start at 60s or however many seconds you put).

https://youtu.be/qHxQUVlsFRE

Ambient temp ~60°F

(SCCA only count race laps for track records. Others have gone faster in SM. Trevor McCallion did a 1:24.311 in Sun qual. Data showed 1:23:8x was possible. Reger did a 1:24.0x a few years at a NASA event)

((Now if I could just figure out how to embed the video))

Thoughts on the Penskes? Car is on rails, not seeing the usual nose dive and set :) great job Toby

Thoughts on the Penskes? Car is on rails, not seeing the usual nose dive and set :) great job Toby

Overall thumbs up!  Less sway on turn in, car feels more planted and level, doesn't "roll" to take a set, less nose-drive on braking.

For my driving style, I was dealing with understeer on entry and mid corner.  Tire pressures and rear sway bar adjustments helped, but I still felt like there was pace to be found in set-up.  Tire wear indicated the car could use more camber.

Well done! I like to use SM as a gauge of my laps (used to be a goal, but I've dropped into the 1:23's). SM was my favorite race to watch, unfortunately I was there with the Time Trials and we ran right after SM so we could only really watch the first half of the races.

To embed a video you just copy and paste the youtube link from the address bar, not the youtube share button (if you add &t=60s your videos will start at 60s or however many seconds you put).

There was action behind me.  Up front, Trevor (McCallion) drove bobble free Sat / Sun and was never under any pressure from me (luckily Chris (Haldeman) was occupied with his Honda adventures.  Would have been very interesting to see what type of times he would have laid down)

(And thanks for the simple YT tip!)

Congrats! I was wondering how long Keith V's SM track record would stand.

MSR-C 1.7 CCW
Date: 2/16/19
Lap time: 1:22.6
Car: 2000 S2000
Total vehicle weight with driver: ~2850 lbs w/ driver 
Wheel horsepower: 197WHP 
Tires:  255/40-17 RC1 20+ HC
Estimated ambient temperature: 40 degrees.

MSRC 1.7CCW

Date: 4/9/19

Lap Time: 1:35.873

Car: 1991 Miata

Total Weight: 2350lbs?

Wheel horsepower: 108 (from the factory supposedly)

Tires: Yokohama Advan AD08R

Est. Temp: 80F

I have a lot of time to gain. The track was completely green because of the rainstorms over the weekend and I wasn't pushing myself to the limit. I still needed to drive the car home! Getting a tow rig in the next month or so and then I'll be able to beat the living crap out of this car. The new suspension (Flyin Miata Vmaxx track pack) is insane though. I can definitely see myself breaking 1:30 with more seat time. 

I'd love some feedback! 

On 4/10/2019 at 1:31 PM, Hollywood said:

Are you stock rear end / trans? BP06 or BP08?

Don't short shift -  use 2nd in rattlesnake and stay out of the lower revs...it's a miata!

Here:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5cae3643ca8fe-lap-by-lap-comps-of-msrc17.php (disable ad block it'll prevent the vids from buffering)

That's a pretty cool tool.

Starting to get the hang of driving the Miata again. Looking forward to continued improvement. Just got video set up in the car so next track day I should get video footage.

Track: MotorSport Ranch (Cresson) 1.7 CCW
Date:  April 7, 2019
Lap time: 1:28.8 via AIM Solo DL
Car: 2003 Miata
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: ?
Estimated wheel horsepower: 110
Tire size and model: 225/45/15 BFG Rival S 
Estimated ambient temperature: 60 

MSR-C 1.7 CW
Date: 4/14/19
Lap time: 1:27.13 (AIM Solo 2 DL)
Car: 2012 Corvette C6 Base
Total vehicle weight with driver: 3,700 ???
Wheel horsepower: 450ish RWHP
Tire size and model: NT01 275/40R17 Front 305/35R18 Rear
Estimated ambient temperature: ~60 degrees?  Don't remember

New PB for CW direction. I really need some practice going this way. I was also practicing less shifting and trying to carry more speed, but I'm still chicken shit and wasn't pushing hard enough..the car has more time in it for sure.

On 4/10/2019 at 1:31 PM, Hollywood said:

Are you stock rear end / trans? BP06 or BP08?

Don't short shift -  use 2nd in rattlesnake and stay out of the lower revs...it's a miata!

Here:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5cae3643ca8fe-lap-by-lap-comps-of-msrc17.php (disable ad block it'll prevent the vids from buffering)

Thanks! I'll try that out when I head out there in a few weeks. I also like your line through tombstone and the back complex. I feel like I'm losing a lot of time there.