Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Miata 4-down Towing

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

pgporto

pgporto

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
This weekend got me thinking a lot about towing my Miata instead of having to bear with the heat.  What model towing hook-up (not sure of the terminology, base plate?) do you guys use?  I'll be towing with a slammin Ford Windstar which supposedly can handle 3500lbs.

Hollywood

Hollywood

aka Joop

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationWORLD
  • Track Vehicle:97 Miata
http://www.rennenmet...rod=1475&cat=14

Somewhat popular with budget spec dudes that don't have trailers. AC and Hasta both use it, as do I on mine. It's solid.

shuko

shuko

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:PTE Zebra Miata
I was thinking the same thing.  The drive to MSRC from houston was killer.

shuko

shuko

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationHouston
Also, how hard is removing the tow bar?  is it a quick process, or do you have to bust out the ratchet?

pgporto

pgporto

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
Thanks for the info Joop.  Just placed an order.

Shuko, I think these guys run with it on.  Per instructions, it looks like it bolts on to the baby teeth mounting points.

Spiderxvpbiking

Spiderxvpbiking

The Last Dragon

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Track Vehicle:92 Miata
Correct, we run with it on.  It helps with front bite  ;D

shuko

shuko

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • LocationHouston

I was wondering about that... it looks like a heavy chunk of metal, but I figured it might be beneficial to traction. :)

Hollywood

Hollywood

aka Joop

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationWORLD

I was wondering about that... it looks like a heavy chunk of metal, but I figured it might be beneficial to traction. :)

Not too heavy, but yeah. Now if you were running in like SM Nationals I'd say take it off, but other than that, it's negligible weight gain vs. benefit it provides. Taking it off would be a bit of a pan in the ass.

Paul - you might get lucky, they shipped a free red tow eye with mine - maybe you'll get one too :D

Hastarock

Hastarock

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationHouston
  • Track Vehicle:Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata
http://www.trackjunk...Item.php?id=277

robertcope

robertcope

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,603 posts
  • LocationBellaire, TX
  • Track Vehicle:1999 Miata
I likes those wheels!

robert

phm14

phm14

Loves the Smell of Track

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2013 Toyobaru 86, red/2011 Lexus IS F, blue
Make it switchable, in case you need to tow the Ford back ;D

hustler

hustler

The Imperial

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Dallas
I'm surprised that no on brought this up, but aparently since the Miata 5-speed has the main on top of the pinion shaft, some gears don't get adequate lubrication on the tow and it can burn up bearings on the tow.  I'm not sure why, but FM says this in not a problem on the 6-speed, only the 5-speed. 

Hollywood

Hollywood

aka Joop

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationWORLD

I'm surprised that no on brought this up, but aparently since the Miata 5-speed has the main on top of the pinion shaft, some gears don't get adequate lubrication on the tow and it can burn up bearings on the tow.  I'm not sure why, but FM says this in not a problem on the 6-speed, only the 5-speed. 

Over two years towing this way with no problems, but thanks for the heads up - definitely going to check this out.

hustler

hustler

The Imperial

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Dallas

Over two years towing this way with no problems, but thanks for the heads up - definitely going to check this out.

I'm happy to hear that.  I've been tempted to tow my turbo Miata with my daily miata. 

Hollywood

Hollywood

aka Joop

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationWORLD

I'm happy to hear that.  I've been tempted to tow my turbo Miata with my daily miata. 

shit, then you'd have me beat. currently towing with a 2006 CRV that makes a whopping 160 hp /162 lb·ft. the manual listed its towing capacity at around 200lbs  ;)

evotino

evotino

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationAustin
Has anybody ever had trouble with the law towing a car that isn't street legal? I was under the impression a car had to be street legal to tow 4 down.

Hastarock

Hastarock

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationHouston

Has anybody ever had trouble with the law towing a car that isn't street legal? I was under the impression a car had to be street legal to tow 4 down.

Never had problem. Drive like I stole it B)
Old age and treachery up against youth and skill.

REHAB is for QUITTERS.

Spiderxvpbiking

Spiderxvpbiking

The Last Dragon

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Track Vehicle:92 Miata
It's perfectly legal to flat tow a non-registered and or non-street legal vehicle in the state of Texas. There are only a few governing laws on towing in the different states. Anything over 4500lbs requires the towed vehicle to have it's own braking source. Heck, its legal to pull a 24ft travel trailer and have a 20ft boat attached to it. You only need working turn signal liights.

Hastarock

Hastarock

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationHouston
Here's the bar

Attached Thumbnails

• 107_0212.JPG

REHAB is for QUITTERS.

Hastarock

Hastarock

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationHouston
107_0210.JPG

REHAB is for QUITTERS.