Welcome to TrackJunkies.Org
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Prepping the NB

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX
  • Track Vehicle:2000 Mazda Miata
I passed the head on to Karl from Applied Racing Technology this evening in Austin. Cool guy and can't wait to see what he finds out about it.

Spiderxvpbiking

Spiderxvpbiking

The Last Dragon

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts
  • Track Vehicle:92 Miata
I can tell you what he's going to say $$$$ ;D J/k I know Karl well and have done a lot of business with him. Thanks for sharing

itrack

itrack

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCorpus
  • Track Vehicle:S2000
Did you get the cam.

Shopping cart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your cart contains:

Quantity Item Price Total

CAMSHAFT, INTAKE
Part No : BP5A-12-420
$276.05
$166.95 $166.95 Remove

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Karl gave me an update today:

Chris,

Update. I'm pretty sure we talked about surfacing the head but I forgot to add that to the estimate. The head looks like it has a bit of a dip in the middle based on the square, but not that much. It really should be surfaced. I'll snap a few pictures as I go to show you how it is off. That adds $50.

I cut the seats. None were really bad, but it was bad enough that you will notice the improvement. Still working on the porting.

He also told me that we'll need to replace the valve stem seals and to order that along in the head gasket kit from Mazda Motorsports. I'm wondering if that dip in the middle was causing the lower compression in those two cylinders. Fun stuff. :lol:

Hollywood

Hollywood

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationWORLD
  • Track Vehicle:97 Miata

Fun stuff. :lol:

:blink:
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

:blink:

Do you picture me lashing at my own back with a cat o nine tails saying "Man this is invigorating!" ? hahaha I'm actually learning a lot. I found out from Karl that there ARE two different kinds of water pumps. OEM has a stamped sheet metal impeller and there's a cast metal impeller water pump, aftermarket I believe, that actually flows water better. I have more research to do.

Eraser-X

Eraser-X

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • Track Vehicle:05 Birkin S3
Why aren't you having him install the valve seals? Why would you dissemble the head after paying to have someone build it out?

Eraser-X

Karl gave me an update today:

He also told me that we'll need to replace the valve stem seals and to order that along in the head gasket kit from Mazda Motorsports. I'm wondering if that dip in the middle was causing the lower compression in those two cylinders. Fun stuff. :lol:

Eraser-X
Austin, TX
Birkin S3

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Why aren't you having him install the valve seals? Why would you dissemble the head after paying to have someone build it out?

Eraser-X

Easy there. I never said that I would be disassembling it and installing the valve seals myself. He is doing all of the work.

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
The Raceland header arrived yesterday. UPS managed to destroy yet another box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Volks on the s2k are sold, woot! Can't wait to order parts to get things rolling with the Miata.

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
So Karl said it would most likely be ready today. He said he had to mill it 0.010mm to get it level again. He also said the head was warped (hence the milling) but said the camshafts were a little tight so he had to do some work to free them up.

Milled 0.009...
Posted Image

Milled 0.010...
Posted Image

Hollywood

Hollywood

Wingman

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationWORLD
  • Track Vehicle:97 Miata
Boosh!

Gettin excited?
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Boosh!

Gettin excited?

I am! Then again I'm getting overly cautious wondering how it's going to run without the supercharger and with a slightly higher compression. Not to mention how timing will be affected with the new intake camshaft. I still need to figure out how to tune with the Hydra. :blink: I have kind of a sinking feeling that I'll put everything back together and then either it will still overheat (that fucker BETTER NOT!) or something else will go wrong.

spoolin2bars

spoolin2bars

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

I am! Then again I'm getting overly cautious wondering how it's going to run without the supercharger and with a slightly higher compression. Not to mention how timing will be affected with the new intake camshaft. I still need to figure out how to tune with the Hydra. :blink: I have kind of a sinking feeling that I'll put everything back together and then either it will still overheat (that fucker BETTER NOT!) or something else will go wrong.

why not shave .020? or more? you know if any material is taken out (i.e. porting) you lose some compression. we usually go 20-40 thousandths depending on the head (if it was shaved before) make, (honda,mazda,dsm) and how much it was ported.

nice to know you found the problem. my friend had a tiny crack in the head gasket once and it would idle all day long wihtout getting hot. but over 30min. continuous driving and the temp. would rise. took subaru forever to figure it out.

itrack

itrack

Track Freak

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationCorpus
  • Track Vehicle:S2000
He still never answered wht the hell tight cams are?

hustler

hustler

The Imperial

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Dallas

He still never answered wht the hell tight cams are?

I assume he was referring to valve lash. Mine are at .003-.006 intake/.005-.008 exhaust per John Day's instructions and my head is silent. He should probably go tighter on the exhaust side since it's NA now, but I'm regurgitatig what my builder told me who is not only immortal, but has a shop unicorn.

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

I assume he was referring to valve lash. Mine are at .003-.006 intake/.005-.008 exhaust per John Day's instructions and my head is silent. He should probably go tighter on the exhaust side since it's NA now, but I'm regurgitatig what my builder told me who is not only immortal, but has a shop unicorn.

hustler is correct here. He said the cams turned fine but since the head was warped he was thinking the cams would bind when we torque down the head to the block so free'd them up a little.

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
I got the head back last night. I need to go get a straight edge and check the block (should have done that the night I removed the head but oh well we're already past that). I'm just waiting on ARP head studs from Emilio and exhaust manifold studs from MiataRoadster and I'll be good to go... I think. Actually I need a throttle body, haha; need to ask my friend if he's still selling his.

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
Good News: The block is straight from what I can tell with a straight edge. I also got a friend to lend me a throttle body till I can find one for myself.
Bad News: Karl didn't remember my address so parts will ship out tomorrow. Bah, I want this thing back together already!

RavynX

RavynX

TRACKJUNKIE

• Junkies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
I got the rest of the parts in from Karl and I'm realizing I will need to buy or make AC condenser brackets after I had to bend the tab mounts back to their original positions. It's going to be a slow installation. Last night I went over and cleaned the deck of the block and checked it again with the straight edge and I'm feeling good that it's not warped. I wasn't able to see any light under the straight edge. I also noticed that the two small (oil?) ports in the back of the block in the center almost looked clogged; I had to pull the gunk away.

Posted Image